Sounds in Lyra Distorted

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

IndieP
Expert

Sounds in Lyra Distorted

Post by IndieP » Mon Feb 22, 2016 10:15 am

I opened up Lyra today and selected the default sound (Grand Piano) but the sound was extremely distorted, so much so you could not recognize it to be a piano at all. However, the sounds in the piano roll are working fine. I deleted the old track and added a new one after exiting the program and loading it again but to no avail. What could the problem be?

Rim
Site Admin

Re: Sounds in Lyra Distorted

Post by Rim » Mon Feb 22, 2016 10:44 am

Try creating a new project. What's your sample rate set to? Also, try rebooting the iPad.

Rim

IndieP
Expert

Post by IndieP » Mon Feb 22, 2016 9:55 pm

Hi Rim,
I only downloaded Auria two weeks ago and am in the process of familiarizing myself with the program. I don't yet know how to change the sample rate, however, I tried rebooting my iPad, and trying a new project but the problem persists. As regards the sample rate, I assume it is 44.1 as that is what is showing in the project name window in a green rectangle box. Beneath it is a blue box with the "INT" in it (not sure what that is either). Interestingly, the drum pads aare working perfectly.
Update: I've just noticed that I had the Lyra keyboard scrolled all the way to the right. When I scrolled it to the left to "CO" it begins to sound better, below that doesn't sound good. At "C1" it sounds OK. Above "C6" it begins to sound weird again.

Tovokas
Expert

Post by Tovokas » Mon Feb 22, 2016 11:46 pm

I could be speaking the obvious, but just in case this is one of your first experiences with size-conscious sampled instruments: Instruments can be sampled in different ways: the more notes and velocity layers sampled, the bigger the file. To save space (especially on a mobile device), many instruments are only sampled every 4-5 notes in a limited range. Notes played outside this range are pitch-shifted to extremes,and sound increasingly strange the further you get away from the base note. The Stereo Grand seems to have a sweet spot beginning at E2.

If you were to bring across the full 2 gig Ivory Piano into Lyra, it would sound fabulous from top to bottom, but the reduced size Stereo Grand is fine for many purposes.

IndieP
Expert

Post by IndieP » Tue Feb 23, 2016 9:50 am

No Tovokas, I was not aware of that. In short, sound distortion occurs in the lows and the highs. Is there any chance you could send me an example of how you would do this?

As for the 2GB Ivory Piano, I am a keyboard player, and very interested in having the Ivory Piano. Only last night I downloaded the free samples into Lyra but did not notice the Ivory Piano in any of the descriptions of the ones I downloaded. Would the Ivory Piano be an add-on?
Thanks.

Tovokas
Expert

Post by Tovokas » Tue Feb 23, 2016 5:23 pm

This thread has some tips about bringing sounds into Lyra:

http://www.auriaapp.com/forum/viewtopic ... les#p44730