Auria Pro...disapointment.. My collection of errors

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

mixmaker
Expert

Auria Pro...disapointment.. My collection of errors

Post by mixmaker » Sat Feb 20, 2016 12:29 pm

Hello everybody
I have big number of music apps on my device.
But only Auria Pro doesn't want to be friends with me
I use it just 5 days and what I have found in it

1) often messages about overload
I use iPad Air 128 cellular
And I see this https://pp.vk.me/c633425/v633425195/14d ... pqF6gE.jpg

very often
And it doesn't matter what number of tracks in project, also it happends even if only Auria Pro runs on iPad
As you can see on the screenshot cpu meter in up-right corner shows only 10%, but cpu overload in same time.
Increasing buffer size doesn't change anything

2)
Auria Pro crashes every 3-4 times while midi track transforms to wav during "bounce track in place" operation running
And it doesn't matter what instrument I use (internal Lyra, or any external app)

Here is video prooves of it
A) https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=7 ... ideo%2cmp4
Here I use external app as midi instrument

B) https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=7 ... ideo%2cmp4
Here I use internal sampler Lyra

C) https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=7 ... ideo%2cmp4
Here you can see that Auria Pro really crashes after long freeze

Also I found many other little errors, but they are minor. Such as big number of unplug/replug lightning cable and restarts Auria Pro, before I can listen it on any USB device, and others

What I have already tried?
1) I made a full hard-reset of iPad and re-instal Auria Pro on clean device
2) I have reinstalled Auria Pro after recovering iPad too
3) I wrote to support. But they don't know how to help and ask to post it here
4) read many forums, and didn't find anybody who has the same troubles

Dear Developers,
Why this happened to me? And is there any ways to fix it?

Thanx

mtingle
Expert

Re: Auria Pro...disapointment.. My collection of errors

Post by mtingle » Sat Feb 20, 2016 1:34 pm

I would say bounce in place is failing because you had the track armed in record mode.

If Auria crashes or a IAA crashes you'll get one pop up for each IAA that couldn't reload.

Remember to 'un-load' an IAA after you've used it and clear it from the background tasks too.

Once you have a midi track the maximum latency is 512. You'll get a much more stable CPU if you render midi to audio and then change the latency to 4096.

Put iPad in airplane mode and close all apps from the background.

Morgan
Expert

Post by Morgan » Sat Feb 20, 2016 4:08 pm

Hi mixmaker, there are plenty of experts and frequent users of AURIA PRO that should be able to help you resolve your current problems. I run AURIA PRO on an Apple IPad Pro running iOS version 9.1 and have not experienced any major operational issues even with the most complex setups. May I make a suggestion. It is very difficult for even the experts to help you if you don't detail your entire setup including all the FX you have active on each track, any hardware connected and the version of iOS you are on. It's easy to assume you are on 9.2 but detail it anyway. I am not a technical expert but there are plenty who are. My first observation that others on the forum may comment on is that you have FX active on all tracks. What are they! You have sample rate 48khz selected and Sampletank running in the background. I have found SampleTank hungry on resource but not sure it is reported in the CPU usage. I always switch the IPad Pro to aeroplane mode whenever possible to shutdown any outside interference. If you don't rely on WiFi or network connection then this can help. Bring more information detail of your setup to this very active and friendly forum and I am sure you will get help. I am sure RIM will also input if he has the opportunity and is available. Trevor

mixmaker
Expert

Post by mixmaker » Sat Feb 20, 2016 7:32 pm

Morgan wrote:Hi mixmaker, there are plenty of experts and frequent users of AURIA PRO that should be able to help you resolve your current problems. I run AURIA PRO on an Apple IPad Pro running iOS version 9.1 and have not experienced any major operational issues even with the most complex setups. May I make a suggestion. It is very difficult for even the experts to help you if you don't detail your entire setup including all the FX you have active on each track, any hardware connected and the version of iOS you are on. It's easy to assume you are on 9.2 but detail it anyway. I am not a technical expert but there are plenty who are. My first observation that others on the forum may comment on is that you have FX active on all tracks. What are they! You have sample rate 48khz selected and Sampletank running in the background. I have found SampleTank hungry on resource but not sure it is reported in the CPU usage. I always switch the IPad Pro to aeroplane mode whenever possible to shutdown any outside interference. If you don't rely on WiFi or network connection then this can help. Bring more information detail of your setup to this very active and friendly forum and I am sure you will get help. I am sure RIM will also input if he has the opportunity and is available. Trevor
Trevor,
Look at the one of video I posted, where I use internal Lyra sampler.
THere ARE only 2 tracks, without any FX, all settings are default, and there are not other apps running at same time. Only Auria Pro, by the way it absolutely doesn't matter how many fx and wich settings on each track, as my experience shows. It crashes and crashes. Impossible to work
Also it doesn't matter track is in rec-ready mode or not.
When I press bonce track in place I will get that "hang"

I use 9.2 iOs and iRig keys Pro.

As I said higher increasing latency to 4096 changes nothing. It overload always.

What else should I say ?

Washboy
Expert

Post by Washboy » Sat Feb 20, 2016 9:53 pm

@mixmaker : So, you have an iPad Air(1)/128GB/Cellular, running iOS v9.2.1 and Auria Pro v2.03. Correct? And you experience the CPU overloads and the bounce-track-in-place hang even if you have nothing plugged into any of the ports on your iPad (no keyboard, no headphones)?

I can replicate your bounce-track-in-place hang but only if the MIDI track being bounced is RecEnabled. If it's not RecEnabled it renders perfectly. That's what @mtingle suggested. I am using Auria Pro v2.03 but only on a humble iPad3/64GB/Cellular, running iOS v8.4.1.

Are you able to load and play the "Heartbeats" demo with no CPU overload? That has 6 MIDI tracks (5 Lyra, plus 1 Twin2 synth), with StereoDelay and ClassicVerb Aux FX too. Only track #5 (the 'Atmosphere' Synth Lyra patch) causes my puny iPad3 to overload. I don't know what it is about that patch that is so CPU-intensive but simply freezing it (via the FX 'snowflake' - not bounce-track-in-place) solves that problem :wink:

So what could your projects contain that are so CPU-heavy? You insist that it doesn't matter how few FX and plugins you have active - you still get overload. That implies that you get overload, even with no FX, no background apps and no MIDI virtual instruments. Correct? That is indeed strange.

Are you willing to try running only Auria Pro (no other apps at the same time), load the "Heartbeats" demo project and play it through? Then let us know whether or not you had any CPU overloads during playback.
:)

[Edited to correct misnomer]

mixmaker
Expert

Post by mixmaker » Sun Feb 21, 2016 12:45 am

Hearbeats plays with overload also
For what this app has been made?
For iPad pro only?

Because my iPad air (1st) seems to be too weak for this

Well, I will try to test rendering midi to wav not in rec-enable mode, And will let you know later about results

Don't you know, is there any possibility to make projects playing via bluetooth ?
I can't find airplay option...((

P.S.: cpu overload message Auria Pro shows if even cpu meter shows only 2% of cpu ussage. WHAT IS THIS?????
Attachments
image.jpeg

mixmaker
Expert

Post by mixmaker » Sun Feb 21, 2016 3:17 am

And continue:
What is happened if I want to paste audio from clipboard to 1st track
Here is video of the process

https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=7 ... ideo%2cmp4

mixmaker
Expert

Post by mixmaker » Sun Feb 21, 2016 3:24 am

And more:
Track indication??
It's gone after 10 minutes of working
And it's every time so.

Video:

mtingle
Expert

Post by mtingle » Sun Feb 21, 2016 4:06 am

if you leave a track in record armed mode (flashing red) the latency will switch to the record mode latency setting as set up in your settings page.

settings/ general/ use separate buffer size for record: Yes.
Choose buffer size.

When not recording turn off any record enabled tracks, your CPU will thank you.

Auria will definitely play the sample project on an air 1. Sounds like something is peculiar about your ipad setup.

Washboy
Expert

Post by Washboy » Sun Feb 21, 2016 8:33 am

mixmaker wrote:And more:
Track indication??
And it's every time so.

Video:
A simple forum search of "track meters not working" reveals:
http://auriaapp.com/forum/viewtopic.php ... ing#p47107

BTW, iOS v9 is causing many problems for audio apps, especially v9.2.1. Everyone is hoping that v9.3 will finally deliver a stable platform for iOS musicians. Until then... :wink:

mixmaker
Expert

Post by mixmaker » Sun Feb 21, 2016 9:02 am

Washboy wrote:
mixmaker wrote:And more:
Track indication??
And it's every time so.

Video:
A simple forum search of "track meters not working" reveals:
http://auriaapp.com/forum/viewtopic.php ... ing#p47107

BTW, iOS v9 is causing many problems for audio apps, especially v9.2.1. Everyone is hoping that v9.3 will finally deliver a stable platform for iOS musicians. Until then... :wink:
Thanx for information about track meter.
Is really error in iOs, not in Auria? Very strange. Other music apps work perfectly in 9.2.1...
But what is about other errors?

Washboy
Expert

Post by Washboy » Sun Feb 21, 2016 9:20 am

mixmaker wrote:Thanx for information about track meter.
Is really error in iOs, not in Auria? Very strange. Other music apps work perfectly in 9.2.1...
But what is about other errors?
You're welcome, but did you read all of the thread I posted? No, I am most definitely not suggesting that the meter issue you experienced is an iOS error. In the thread I posted a link to, Auria's developer clearly acknowledges it is an Auria bug and that it's fixed in the next update (v2.04). The thread also mentions a temporary workaround.

Some other music apps work perfectly in 9.2.1 but by no means all. Do you have them all? :wink: It looks as if you're not using a multichannel USB audio interface - if you did, you might be aware of some well documented incompatibilities introduced by iOS9.

Washboy
Expert

Post by Washboy » Sun Feb 21, 2016 9:50 am

mixmaker wrote:...Well, I will try to test rendering midi to wav not in rec-enable mode, And will let you know later about results...
Looking forward to your results :)
mixmaker wrote:...Don't you know, is there any possibility to make projects playing via bluetooth ?
I can't find airplay option...((
There isn't one. More forum searching reveals:
http://www.auriaapp.com/forum/viewtopic ... oth#p45755
mixmaker wrote:...P.S.: cpu overload message Auria Pro shows if even cpu meter shows only 2% of cpu ussage. WHAT IS THIS?????
You should pay attention to the MAX CPU meter, not the CPU meter. There's a fairly recent post in this forum that explains why. I'll leave it to you to search for it because I can't be bothered to :wink:

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Sun Feb 21, 2016 10:07 am

The reason you can get a CPU overload but not see the same thing in the CPU meter is because the CPU meter only shows you the average CPU usage, not the peak usage. If you tap on the CPU meter, you can change to different modes, including a peak mode (called MAX). This will reflect the peak usage, which is the most important thing to watch. You'll see that this corresponds with the overload message.

iOS 9 has a bug which causes a CPU overload to occur quite frequently. This has been fixed in iOS 9.3 beta, so hopefully Apple will release this soon. You should have no issues running Auria Pro on an Air 1 with iOS 9.3.

Keep in mind that Auria Pro is a new and very complex app, and I still have a list of bugfixes to go through, but at this time, most of them are minor or have workarounds. The next few updates should resolve them.

Rim

mixmaker
Expert

Post by mixmaker » Sun Feb 21, 2016 2:50 pm

Rim wrote:The reason you can get a CPU overload but not see the same thing in the CPU meter is because the CPU meter only shows you the average CPU usage, not the peak usage. If you tap on the CPU meter, you can change to different modes, including a peak mode (called MAX). This will reflect the peak usage, which is the most important thing to watch. You'll see that this corresponds with the overload message.

iOS 9 has a bug which causes a CPU overload to occur quite frequently. This has been fixed in iOS 9.3 beta, so hopefully Apple will release this soon. You should have no issues running Auria Pro on an Air 1 with iOS 9.3.

Keep in mind that Auria Pro is a new and very complex app, and I still have a list of bugfixes to go through, but at this time, most of them are minor or have workarounds. The next few updates should resolve them.

Rim
Thanx for the information
And bug with impossibility of paste from clipboard to the 1st travk will be fixed too I hope?