Lyra - EXS with consolidated caf files

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

grb

Lyra - EXS with consolidated caf files

Post by grb » Sat Feb 20, 2016 3:01 am

Success with most Garageband instruments I've copied into auriapro, but the drum kits from the Logic folders with reference to _consolidated.caf files do not seem to work. Also tried with the Steinway patch which uses a consolidated.caf file - no luck, whereas the original Garageband Steinway with a folder of samples works fine.

Tovokas
Expert

Re: Lyra - EXS with consolidated caf files

Post by Tovokas » Sun Feb 21, 2016 5:45 am

I don't have any insights on consolidated caf files, but I wonder if the EXS issues I've been having are related. Like you, I've had good success with most of the MainStage/Logic EXS files coming over just fine into Lyra. (Excepting the ones you mentioned, and a few others that have caused Lyra to crash).

However, when I create an EXS file using AutoSampler (to capture all the Alchemy sounds), things get a bit strange. If I copy the newly created file directly into my samples folder on my iPad using iFunBox, the samples play OK, but the ADSR settings seem to exceed what Lyra can handle, and the instrument is shifted up two octaves on the keyboard. (The sustain control is wrapped past the max, and when you modify it in Auria, you can never get back to what it was originally.)

To address this, I've tried fine tuning the ASDR and other settings of the raw AutoSampler EXS files by opening them in EXS24. But when I export the updated EXS file and copy it into the Auria sample folder, Lyra can no longer find the samples and plays the default sine wave sounds. I'm wondering if this extra export is doing some 'consolidating' like the Steinway patch that is keeping it from working.

I'll continue testing, and if I discover anything I'll report back. :)

grb

Post by grb » Wed Feb 24, 2016 3:07 am

The EXS files I am trying come from:

/Library/Application Support/Logic/Sampler Instruments/03 Drums & Percussion/04 Drum Kit Designer/Drum Kit Designer/Stereo/Smash Kit.exs

And reference .caf files from:

/Library/Application Support/Logic/EXS Factory Samples/Drum Kit Designer Consolidated/Drum Kit Designer/Stereo/Smash Kit Snare_consolidated.caf

Are .caf supported in Lyra, and how should I arrange the folder structure in Lyra? (putting the .exs and .caf in the same folder does not seem to work)

Thanks,

grb.

grb

Post by grb » Wed Mar 02, 2016 4:09 am

In case anyone is following this thread... direct response from Corey says .caf files are not supported:
Lyra does not support .caf files at all. It simply does not have the conversion algorithm written in
From what I've read CAF is an Apple audio file container which can contain standard audio formats along with meta data for sample positions, loop points etc. - ideally suited to packaging a set of instrument samples.

The Garageband EXS with .caf are reported as containing PCM audio inside the .caf files, so if Lyra could interpret the meta I would imagine the PCM audio is playable without any conversion being required.

Interestingly Rim mentioned caf were supported:
yug: By the way, does Lyra support CAF files? The samples of some of the Logic instruments are stored within a single .caf file

WaveMachineLabs: Yes it does, and it also supports playing compressed FLAC samples in real time.

Rim
https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/1123 ... -auria-pro

Could you add this to the list for an Auria update ?

Thanks,

grb.

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Wed Mar 02, 2016 7:27 am

Sorry for the confusion. I thought I had added caf support early on, but I hadn't. Caf is a pretty complex format, so I don't think it'll be added any time soon. In the mean time, there are conversion utilities out there for converting caf to wav, if you need to import a caf-based EXSs.

Rim

steff3

Post by steff3 » Thu Aug 03, 2017 3:03 pm

>> .. there are conversion utilities out there for converting caf to wav, if you need to import a caf-based EXSs.

And, will lyra then accept the wav-file instead of the caf-file? (automatically replace it?)

thanks

best

theconnactic
Expert

Post by theconnactic » Fri Aug 04, 2017 3:12 pm

Good question! It would be nice to have Logic’s drummers running under Lyra...

steff3

Post by steff3 » Sun Sep 17, 2017 4:56 am

Rim wrote:
Wed Mar 02, 2016 7:27 am
Sorry for the confusion. I thought I had added caf support early on, but I hadn't. Caf is a pretty complex format, so I don't think it'll be added any time soon. In the mean time, there are conversion utilities out there for converting caf to wav, if you need to import a caf-based EXSs.

Rim
trying one more time:

Will lyra then accept the wav-file instead of the caf-file? (automatically replace it?)

thanks

best

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Sun Sep 17, 2017 6:01 am

I'm not sure I understand the question. Lyra accepts WAV, EXS, SFZ and SF2 formats. Within these formats, the samples themselves can be either WAV or AIF. CAF is not supported.

Rim