Getting Started with Auria Pro

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

IndieP
Expert

Getting Started with Auria Pro

Post by IndieP » Thu Feb 18, 2016 11:53 am

I am a keyboard player, but a beginner to the world of recording, editing, digital composing and sequencers etc. trying to familiarize myself with Auria. My first goal is to create a song from the ground up, but I'm having trouble getting started. I begin a new project, enter a few parameters, but I don't even know how to open up the piano roll, Lyra, or Fab Filter etc. I've spent days looking for you tube videos that address the very basics of how to use Auria, but can't locate the information I need.
It's the case of one wrong number not opening the bank vault, but once you've got the right number, you can figure out what to do with what’s on the inside.
As they say, everything’s easy when you know how to do it. I did find a video on Lyra, (already opened on the screen) but the tutorial doesn’t explain how he opened it up. Most tutorials seem to leave out the obvious.
Of course, perhaps the video tutorials at Lynda.com may address the subject, but I’m not convinced they will. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

mschenkel
Expert

Re: Getting Started with Auria Pro

Post by mschenkel » Thu Feb 18, 2016 12:40 pm

IndieP wrote: As they say, everything’s easy when you know how to do it. I did find a video on Lyra, (already opened on the screen) but the tutorial doesn’t explain how he opened it up. Most tutorials seem to leave out the obvious.
Actually is not the obvious but what is written in the user manual, which I suppose you have already carefully read throughout at least twice :mrgreen:

Anyway:
New Project(now you are in MIXER SCREEN)>Menu>Add Track> 1, Midi
And now you have a MIDI track which by default comes with Lyra, Grand Piano patch loaded.
Now go to EDITOR SCREEN(top left button) and zoom VERTICALLY on the timeline until you se a piano keyboard icon. Tap on it and BANG! You are in piano roll. Put some notes into it and Lyra will play em.
Now we want to change patch so tap on the "e" button Below the keyboard icon and KABOOOOOOOM! Lyra interface at your disposal.

Have fun

stromberg-carlson
Expert

Check out Lynda...

Post by stromberg-carlson » Thu Feb 18, 2016 12:47 pm

Th Lynda.com videos are worth the price of admission! Please don't dismiss them.

rossFen
Expert

Post by rossFen » Thu Feb 18, 2016 3:01 pm

You have a very different approach than I do. I learn as much as I can before I even buy hardware or software, and I knew pretty well how DAWs worked before I ever owned one. If you have the patience, there are many free and commercial videos out there where you can watch people create music using DAWs, sequencers, software instruments, plug-ins, effects, mixing techniques and overall workflows. YouTube is fantastic, despite some poor offerings to wade through. There is so much in common, you'll learn valuable information no matter what apps are being used. Knowing the concepts makes everything easier whatever you do. Then, for the particular app(s) you'll be using, even if there isn't much video available, the user manual usually answers most questions. I haven't even seen the Lynda.com videos, but I'd imagine they'd be very helpful.

rickwaugh
Expert

Post by rickwaugh » Thu Feb 18, 2016 6:56 pm

Most definitely, read the manual as you are sitting down with the software. It's an excellent manual, that will give you al the basics.

stromberg-carlson
Expert

I use two pads...

Post by stromberg-carlson » Thu Feb 18, 2016 7:02 pm

The pro is the working tablet and a 4th gen model has the manual on it, so I can reference as I work/learn the interface.

IndieP
Expert

Post by IndieP » Thu Feb 18, 2016 8:52 pm

Thanks for your input guys. Actually, I had not dismissed the Auria tutorials from http://www.Lynda.com which I intend looking at.

I am also working my way through the Auria User guide, (even highlighting what I feel are important points I may need to remember at a later date, though not relevant to me right now).

Two months ago I was asked to fill a position as a musician where there should be at least several more, (I am the only one at present), hence my efforts to look at ways I can enhance my performance. It was then I came across music sequencers as a way of producing backing tracks. The different field of recording, editing, and composing music in digital format that I find myself in has also got me very excited about the possibilities. However, pressed for time, and eagar to get started with music projects, and having a little difficulty finding what I was looking for, I was just hoping to get a jump start to get me going.

Having said that, thank you “mschenkel” for the following:

New Project (now you are in MIXER SCREEN)>Menu>Add Track> 1, Midi
And now you have a MIDI track which by default comes with Lyra, Grand Piano patch loaded.
Now go to EDITOR SCREEN (top left button) and zoom VERTICALLY on the timeline until you se a piano keyboard icon. Tap on it and BANG! You are in piano roll. Put some notes into it and Lyra will play em.
Now we want to change patch so tap on the "e" button below the keyboard icon and KABOOOOOOOM! Lyra interface at your disposal.

This is precisely what I was hoping to find, now I’m a happy camper, (for the moment) lol.

Tovokas
Expert

Post by Tovokas » Fri Feb 19, 2016 12:18 am

I think it's easy to forget how complicated a program like Auria can seem when first starting. Because Auria is the closest the thing to a desktop DAW you can find on the iPad, it attracts a pretty high percentage of users that have paid their dues over many years. But I remember clearly getting my first four track, then adding a compressor, an additional mixer, a DI box, my first synth (a Kawai K4)... It required lots of research, but at least I had the advantage of learning gradually, one piece of equipment at a time.

With a powerful DAW like Auria, everything is there and available from the start: multiple inputs and outputs, channels strips, gates, compressors, eq's, reverbs, echo's, plug-ins, midi, aux busses... No wonder it's intimidating!

But the advice given is solid: don't worry about understand everything at once. Take advantage of the manual, the training videos (something I would have died to have 12 years ago!), and this forum, and you'll be feeling comfortable far sooner than you would imagine. :)

IndieP
Expert

Post by IndieP » Fri Feb 19, 2016 10:26 am

Thanks "Tovokas" for your advice, it is so true, and I shall certainly do as you suggest. I remember many years ago getting my first computer, I was so computer illiterate that I didn’t want to switch it on in case I messed something up. I even called a computer geek in to switch it on and set it up for me. However today, my wife, 2 daughters and 9 grandchildren (yes, I’m a senior, and no comments anyone like “now I understand why he can’t get it, lol) all come to me when they have a problem with their tablets, computers or phones.

My point is, with perseverance, great things can be accomplished, but everything we do in this life, we learn from others in one way or another. I personally, appreciate very much, the advice and encouragement that I receive on forums such as this. I’ve literally spends many hours researching my question as well as starting at the beginning with the manual, and the help I’ve received in answer to this one question has probable saved me many more hours doing the same thing.

Thank again.
I look forward to talking with you all again, VERY SOON, lol.

mschenkel
Expert

Post by mschenkel » Fri Feb 19, 2016 10:35 am

Lol the senior said lol

Washboy
Expert

Post by Washboy » Fri Feb 19, 2016 3:03 pm

I think @IndieP might be surprised at the number of 'seniors' both here and in the Audiobus forum :wink:

rickwaugh
Expert

Post by rickwaugh » Fri Feb 19, 2016 3:31 pm

Lol. Indeed. If I remember the "what is your age" thread in the AudioBus forum, there were way more of us middle aged or older than otherwise.

So, no mercy for being old. :mrgreen: We're all there too.

Phuong

Post by Phuong » Thu Feb 25, 2016 7:18 pm

I needed this thread!!!!

Gary
Expert

Re: Check out Lynda...

Post by Gary » Thu Feb 09, 2017 10:58 am

stromberg-carlson wrote:Th Lynda.com videos are worth the price of admission! Please don't dismiss them.
Hey, I'm looking at Lynda.com for mixing and mastering skills. I've got a few Fabfilter / Poitive Grid (final touch) apps. I think on the functions of these app's I'm not really a beginner but I need some expert guidance on mixing and mastering technique. I was wondering what you think of the Lynda.com courses on this (that is if youv'e experienced them)?

Thanks

richardyot
Expert

Re: Check out Lynda...

Post by richardyot » Thu Feb 09, 2017 11:12 am

Gary wrote:
stromberg-carlson wrote:Th Lynda.com videos are worth the price of admission! Please don't dismiss them.
Hey, I'm looking at Lynda.com for mixing and mastering skills. I've got a few Fabfilter / Poitive Grid (final touch) apps. I think on the functions of these app's I'm not really a beginner but I need some expert guidance on mixing and mastering technique. I was wondering what you think of the Lynda.com courses on this (that is if youv'e experienced them)?

Thanks
IMO the best resource for this is The Producer's Manual. You can buy it in app form on the app store, and it's excellent.

I watched the Lynda.com Auria course a few years back, it's OK but pretty basic.