Recording vocals

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

Skippy567
Expert

Recording vocals

Post by Skippy567 » Wed Feb 17, 2016 6:07 pm

I'm getting ready to record vocals and as I'm preparing and testing I notice that when I try to keep my input levels around -18db to start I obviously can't hear myself. I know this is rookie, but how can record at that level and really hear myself. Do I have to turn all the other tracks down? I want to record vocals at -18db but really hear my vocal while recording. Help!

gwishin
Expert

Re: Recording vocals

Post by gwishin » Fri Feb 19, 2016 9:54 am

I want to know if anybody has any tricks for this too. I have the same problem.

Thanks

Tourniquet
Expert

Post by Tourniquet » Fri Feb 19, 2016 10:14 am

Me three!

mschenkel
Expert

Post by mschenkel » Fri Feb 19, 2016 10:32 am

Raise your monitoring volume(raising faders in mixer won't raise recording gain which is accessed long pressing the arm rec button) and get some closed back headphones. And since none of you posted his/hers setup I'm not able to get any deeper.

pitzipado
Expert

Post by pitzipado » Fri Feb 19, 2016 7:01 pm

Skippy567 wrote:I'm getting ready to record vocals and as I'm preparing and testing I notice that when I try to keep my input levels around -18db to start I obviously can't hear myself. I know this is rookie, but how can record at that level and really hear myself. Do I have to turn all the other tracks down? I want to record vocals at -18db but really hear my vocal while recording. Help!
Hello- what I do is boost the vocal during recording using some effects- the psp channel strip has a vocal preset
which is a good place to start. Even better is the psp microwarmer I'd highly recommend that plug it gives vocals
a nice rich saturated sound also has a couple of vocal presets to start. Not too heavy on cpu usage I also
use a little reverb- the classic verb is very light on processing. As was mentioned you can crank the vocal
fader as well gotta get it sounding good and out front :D Best wishes for success!

Washboy
Expert

Post by Washboy » Fri Feb 19, 2016 8:12 pm

@Skippy567 : What is your mic plugged into? In other words, exactly what device(s) do you have between your mic and your iPad? That will determine what monitoring choices (including direct monitoring) are available to you.

@pitzipado's advice is good. Understand that, unless you have 'Record Effects' enabled for the track you're recording (it is OFF/unticked by default), you can boost level, eq, etc. in the track's Channel Strip (FX) and it won't effect what gets recorded to the track. So, having set the input level to c.-18db with 'Set Record Level' you can boost the gain with the Channel Strip so that it sits in your "performer's" monitor mix comfortably. Once the track is recorded you set the Channel Strip appropriate to your real mix requirements.

Skippy567
Expert

Post by Skippy567 » Sat Feb 20, 2016 9:19 am

I'm using irig. I will be using irig pro very soon. I'm using my trusty old shure sm58. I just want a higher monitor level. I'll try som tips

Skippy567
Expert

Post by Skippy567 » Sat Feb 20, 2016 9:26 am

So if I'm understanding this correctly I should connect mic, enable vocal track, set the gain on my irig to where I want input level(-18db) add effects to help boost my monitoring. I don't want the effects recorded obviously so I shouldn't have to change or set anything because they shouldn't record anyway. When I'm done turn of all effects and listen to my dry vocal. Does this sound right?

Washboy
Expert

Post by Washboy » Sat Feb 20, 2016 10:23 am

Yes, you've got it! :D

Skippy567
Expert

Post by Skippy567 » Sat Feb 20, 2016 3:08 pm

Thank you