Anyone using Auria on iPad Pro?

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

Strizbiz
Expert

Re: Anyone using Auria on iPad Pro?

Post by Strizbiz » Tue Mar 15, 2016 10:59 pm

Well I bought an Ipad Air 2 128 gig today and so far its not looking good at all, MAJOR issues with IAA, MAJOR issues.
IPad Air 2 128 gb Apogee Duet Ipad/Mac

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Wed Mar 16, 2016 7:12 pm

IAA is going to have major issues... it's just not a great system. Apple didn't document how to properly implement it, and many developers had to figure it out for themselves. This resulted in a hodgepodge of IAAs that work with some apps and not with others. In addition, IAA doesn't support saving presets, settings or automation, and only allows one instance. It's a real mess. Audio units will hopefully solve these issues once the kinks are worked out. In the mean time, I recommend using Audiobus or Auria's built-in plugins for a more seamless experience.

Rim

Radside
Expert

Post by Radside » Wed Mar 16, 2016 7:22 pm

Rim, how far away on the horizon can we expect to see AU implementation in Auria?

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Wed Mar 16, 2016 8:57 pm

AU support in iOS still has some issues, as it's early in the implementation. So I'm holding off for now until I see some of the issues worked out. If iOS 9.3 improves things enough, I'll start implementing it, otherwise, I'll wait until the next iOS update...

Rim

theconnactic
Expert

Post by theconnactic » Thu Mar 17, 2016 4:22 pm

Strizbiz wrote:Well I bought an Ipad Air 2 128 gig today and so far its not looking good at all, MAJOR issues with IAA, MAJOR issues.

That's why I said I'll wait for iOS10 to upgrade my Air 1: iOS 9 is a mess! And Rim is right about AU: I use the iSem AU with Garagband and it can be very frustrating sometimes. I don't share his optmistical view about iOS9.3 though: iOS 10 is definitely what will make think about buying new stuff from Apple, IF they make things right.

As of now, iOS is the bottleneck, and I don't believe that buying more powerful HW will necessarily lead to a better Auria experience.

richardyot
Expert

Post by richardyot » Fri Mar 18, 2016 10:08 am

theconnactic wrote: That's why I said I'll wait for iOS10 to upgrade my Air 1: iOS 9 is a mess! And Rim is right about AU: I use the iSem AU with Garagband and it can be very frustrating sometimes. I don't share his optmistical view about iOS9.3 though: iOS 10 is definitely what will make think about buying new stuff from Apple, IF they make things right.
Actually you can guarantee that iOS 10.0 will also have lots of bugs and issues, the best move (probably) will be to upgrade when 9.4 drops, and then wait until at least 10.2 before upgrading to the next version. Every year I wait to update iOS until at least May, and by September things are usually pretty good, until the next iOS drops and the whole merry-go-round starts off again.

giomakyo
Expert

Post by giomakyo » Sun Apr 03, 2016 12:10 am

Too true You wish at some point they would learn to concentrate on stability and functionality and not just new bells and whistles.

giomakyo
Expert

Post by giomakyo » Sun Apr 03, 2016 12:15 am

A good CPU optimization trick is to back up all dry audio stems in audioshare. When adding effects or other processing to a track, either freeze it when you're done, or do it through Audiobus so the effect is baked in. Ideally no plug-ins or effects are running real time in Auria. And if for any reason, you want to go back and say change the effect or level on a track, unfreeze or you can delete the current track, and re-import the dry one from audioshare. ust make sure you keep detailed presets on your plug-ins, so you can start from more or less the same point again.