Auria Compatible Sequencers

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

IndieP
Expert

Auria Compatible Sequencers

Post by IndieP » Tue Feb 16, 2016 11:49 am

Hi Everyone,
I have recently purchased an iPad Air 2 for the purpose of setting up a mobile recording studio. However, I am a new to the world of recording, editing, and composing music with software such as Auria. As a keyboard player, my immediate goal is to produce MIDI backing tracks. Auria was my first choice, but as it was not MIDI supported, (I had read an old thread), I opted to use the Yamaha Mobile Music Sequencer on the advice of a tech at Yamaha keyboard division. However, I found it not to be as intuitive as suggested, and support was very sparse.

Then I noticed my error concerning the old thread stating Auria had no MIDI support, and promptly downloaded Auria. As I will want to have a larger library of instrumental sounds, my question is:

What are considered to be some of the best MIDI sequencers that are compatible and will sync well with Auria. The two that I have in mind are Cubasis and Magellan. What are your thoughts guys?
Thanks

Note: I performed a search, in this forum along with Audiobus (as suggested by another post, but the few I found were a few years ago prior to the MIDI update in Auria.

Radside
Expert

Re: Auria Compatible Sequencers

Post by Radside » Tue Feb 16, 2016 1:27 pm

I'm not sure if you are aware or not but Auria has it's own built in sequencer complete with some VI's and others can be used with it through audiobus and IAA. I haven't used other mobile sequencers since I am old school and tend to use the sequencers in my keyboard workstations. I find them more immediate but they obviously don't have the editing power of DAWs/mobile DAWS but I tend to just replay parts that I don't like vice editing.

IndieP
Expert

Post by IndieP » Tue Feb 16, 2016 9:07 pm

Yes, I am aware that Auria now has its own built in sequencer. Perhaps I'm jumping the gun a little, but I've heard of others who use other sequencers for the sake of a greater variety of VI's which is what I would like.

I know what Audiobus does, but I'm not sure what you mean by IAA. I gather that certain sequencers may not sync very easily with Auria, and even when successful, may present some problems. Knowing what sequencers work well with Auria would be very helpful. Of course, perhaps I would be pleasantly surprised at the built in VI's in Auria.

Funjunkie27
Expert

Post by Funjunkie27 » Wed Feb 17, 2016 9:06 am

Not exactly a sequencer in the truest sense, but I use Different Drummer in conjunction with Auria quite a bit and have been very happy with the results. It syncs well and has 8 tracks which can be set for audio, midi, or both. You can constrain the note on each track, so I like using it to drive Lyra drums in a way where each DD track is assigned to a specific drum part, and you can create 8 tracks to dedicate to each part, so you can tweak them individually. Of course it isn't limited to drum parts, so its pretty easy to get an entire composition going.....8 tracks for drums then rest DD to add in bass lines, leads, chord progressions, etc.

IndieP
Expert

Post by IndieP » Wed Feb 17, 2016 8:57 pm

During research to my initial question, I came across reviews at the Audiobus app in the iTunes store talking of Audiobus crashing. I found the following remark on NanoStudio's forum when googling the subject and thought it may be helpful to someone who may be wondering why the DAW you are using keeps crashing while you are using it with Auria and Audiobus.

NanoStudio Forum Post
The problem isn't an issue between iPad Pro and NanoStudio, it's an iOS 9 issue. iOS 9 broke Audiobus, and Audiobus was updated so that it worked again, but this meant that all developers needed to update their apps with the latest AB SDK, or they won't work well in AB. The problem of fixing Nanostudio is compounded by the new rules from Apple that all new apps submitted to the App Store be 64 bit. NS is 32 bit. The only way to fix the problem is to completely re-write NS to be 64 bit. Since the Blip Interactive Development Team is knee deep in developing NS2 (64 bit BTW), it just doesn't make any sense to stop now and go backwards. We hope to see NS2 by summer 2016, but there is no firm release date.
Everything is still fine on iOS 8, but iOS 9 users will have to add an extra step in their workflow: AB output to another app such as MultiTrack DAW or AudioShare or whatever you prefer. Then copy the audio into NS's TRG. Hope that helps!