Piano roll Midi note move behaviour

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

Dancore
Expert

Piano roll Midi note move behaviour

Post by Dancore » Tue Feb 09, 2016 6:30 pm

Hi Rim,

Would it be possible to add an option to turn the 'safety' mechanism off in the piano roll that stops you accidentally moving midi notes, by forcing you to turn Multi Select on to enable the "tap and hold" then drag action?

I find it terribly distracting in my workflow to have to enable this or the pencil every time I want to drag a note around and disable again after I've moved it. I'd have thought that the "hold" part of the select process would be enough to stop you accidentally moving notes around?

Thanks a lot either way.

Rim
Site Admin

Re: Piano roll Midi note move behaviour

Post by Rim » Tue Feb 09, 2016 8:18 pm

There's no safety mechanism that I'm aware of. Could you describe it in more detail please? Are you talking about something that happens in Draw mode or in non-draw mode? Please list a step by step process to make this happen.

Rim

Dancore
Expert

Post by Dancore » Fri Feb 12, 2016 5:30 am

Hi Rim,

This video here describes what I'm talking about, from around 8:45 onwards.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dKxXPiTrY_w

I described it as a safety mechanism because I'd seen this video a while ago, and I'd incorrectly remembered it as being an official Wavemachine Labs video, which, of course it isn't.

Oddly, sometimes you CAN simply hold and drag on a single note and move it, without multi select or the pencil active. On other occasions, you can't, and I haven't worked out why yet.

Many thanks,

Dan

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Fri Feb 12, 2016 8:16 am

That video is made by a customer, and it uses an early version of the piano roll, which still had a few bugs. In general, I recommend always leaving draw mode on, as this makes working in the piano roll much easier.

In standard mode, you can touch and hold to move notes, but only if they are zoomed in enough. Very tiny notes can't be moved in standard mode (but draw mode doesn't have this restriction).

Rim

Dancore
Expert

Post by Dancore » Wed Feb 17, 2016 6:46 pm

Ahh, that makes sense.

Many thanks for the info.

Dan

Dancore
Expert

Post by Dancore » Tue Apr 05, 2016 2:59 pm

Hi Rim,

After working more in the matrix editor since discovering that you need to zoom to drag notes around, I'm really finding it clumsy to have to zoom in each time I want to drag something.

Would it be possible to remove the need to zoom to hold and drag notes around? It would really help my workflow.

Thanks a lot either way,

Dan

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Tue Apr 05, 2016 6:20 pm

There's no need to hold to move notes around if you're in Draw mode. Make sure the Draw mode icon is on. In draw mode, you can move notes around at any zoom level.

Rim

Dancore
Expert

Post by Dancore » Wed Apr 06, 2016 4:06 am

Hi Rim,

I do a lot of midi work in my projects, and tend to input midi data through performance using an external keyboard most of the time. I primarily use the matrix editor for cleaning up, correcting and polishing a performance.

Because of this, I don't use the draw function very often. I understand its place, but it doesn't enter my workflow often. I input the odd note here and there by holding where I want it, but most of the midi data has already been recorded.

When editing a region of pre-recorded midi (not drawing new parts), I like to see as much of the region as I can, and while playing the song I pull notes around, lengthen them, shorten them, change velocities etc on the fly. If I'm zoomed in, the playhead moves off the screen too quickly, making editing less manageable.

I don't see a good reason to prevent the user from moving notes while zoomed out in edit mode rather than draw mode, as you need to hold the note(s) for a moment before they become highlighted and ready to move, preventing any accidental moves.

I hope I've explained my reason clearly for wanting this adjusted, and I'd be very grateful if you could change this, as it would really speed up my workflow. I know it's not going to be a high priority in the grand scheme of your plans for Auria, but it'd be greatly appreciated :D

Many thanks

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Wed Apr 06, 2016 5:34 am

Everything you need to do is already in the new draw mode. The draw mode is definitely not just for drawing - that's just the name. It might be best not to think of it as a draw mode, but rather the updated version of the piano roll editor. With this new mode, it's vastly easier to navigate, highlight, delete, add, move, edit note lengths, etc. I basically added this mode to make the piano roll easier to use. The only reason it didn't replace the older mode is because some users might not be used to the way it works, and I wanted to give people two ways of using the piano roll.

I suggest giving it a try, as the older mode is legacy and won't be getting much updating in the future. There are various technical reasons why the older mode won't allow selection of notes when they are zoomed out, and changing that would require quite a bit of work.

Some brief tips for getting around the new mode:

- To move a note: just tap and move it. No need to long tap.
- To delete a note - long tap on the note.
- To draw a highlight - no need to double-tap. Just drag the highlight around some notes.
- To add a new note - just tap where there isn't a note. No need to long tap.
- To change the length of a note - no need to long tap. Just tap on the end of a note and drag to change its length.
- To add a new note and set its length at the same time, just tap where there isn't a note, and while your finger is still on the screen drag to set its length.
- To scroll around or zoom, use two fingers. One finger scrolling is not supported in this mode.

Hope this helps.
Rim

Rim

kaikoo
Expert

Post by kaikoo » Wed Apr 06, 2016 7:30 am

The uses of 'Draw mode' to define midi cc and delete part of the midi cc data on a midi track ideas are so brilliants!

I was just trying it on Twin2 cutoff filter and rez.

I was wondering why there is a 'swipe left to delete' which I can not delete any of the cc graph?

But after trying on-screen draw mode to delete midi cc data, I was for the first time feel the power. After several times, I felt it is very comfortable to draw midi cc graph. I was used to play some midi cc on Modstep, it was too shaky to the feel for my use on Modstep.

I love it; I mean to draw midi cc with midi learn feature, perhaps one day it changes to have an option to have histogram graph on midi cc. Some people love that way to know what value of 0-127 for eye viewing. For me, both ways ok, up to the design in to the future.

Rim, thank you so much!

Dancore
Expert

Post by Dancore » Sat Apr 09, 2016 6:11 pm

I appreciate you taking the time to explain and walk me through the drawing mode Rim.

I'll try to adapt to this new way of working. I'm sure I'll get along with it once I'm used to it.

Thanks a lot for your support,

Best regards,
Dan