Need drum app that works in piano roll editor

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

Jamin

Need drum app that works in piano roll editor

Post by Jamin » Tue Feb 02, 2016 2:45 am

Any drum apps that will work with piano roll editor besides Lyra of course?

mschenkel
Expert

Re: Need drum app that works in piano roll editor

Post by mschenkel » Tue Feb 02, 2016 4:28 am

Pretty generic. What features are you looking for?

Jamin

Post by Jamin » Tue Feb 02, 2016 4:18 pm

Yes yes. Looking for app with synth drums more for electronic music. Would like to be able to tweak the sounds to some extent. Might be better off getting some more samples to use within Lyra and probably will do that but thought I'd ask about options using other apps as well. Only have ipad and not a computer so that may limit my ability to get samples. Very new to this and would appreciate any perspective. Bought attack drums because reviews said great things about sound quality but really only usable for audio tracks as far as I can tell. Is there a way to take samples from audio tracks in Auria Pro and get them into sample folder?

Still doing a lot of research on how this all works so pardon if my questions sound naive. Thank you much
Jamin

mschenkel
Expert

Post by mschenkel » Tue Feb 02, 2016 4:59 pm

For synthesized drums I would recommend SeekBeats for some good sounding, old-new school drums and elastic drums for something more avantgarde, experimental(developed along with mouse on Mars). I'm gonna do a couple of tests with a piano roll and report. But they should work. At least basic sequencing. Dunno about some more advanced features.

EDIT: both work with piano roll. On SeekBeats you can also assign midi notes to trigger patterns(something I'll try is to draw some basic patterns and then add externally thrills and fills and variations)

Jamin

Post by Jamin » Tue Feb 02, 2016 5:54 pm

Thanks so much mschenkel. That will give me some things to try out and learn about. Really appreciate it. Was looking at elastic drums. I have attack drums, patterning and diode 108, none of which load up as a midi track instrument but will in fx-channel strip. Before I buy elastic or seekbeats would like to know for sure if they will be available as options in the midi track instrument selector.

mschenkel
Expert

Post by mschenkel » Tue Feb 02, 2016 7:01 pm

Can't get ED to get midi again with IAA setup :o nor seekbeat. Pretty strange I'll try to do that tomorrow.

Jamin

Post by Jamin » Tue Feb 02, 2016 8:14 pm

Thanks. I can get midi data from Patterning into midi track and piano roll, but when I playback it just triggers the song or pattern to start from beginning regardless of where in the track I start the playback and no sound comes from track but only from Patterning. I have been able to get patterning midi notes to playback using Lyra. Sometimes it seems like Auria Pro lets me do things sometimes and not other times. I just tried to get Patterning to record midi and couldn't get it to work even with same port settings as have worked before. Well thanks for helpin me with this.

mschenkel
Expert

Post by mschenkel » Wed Feb 03, 2016 1:38 am

Before I forget again:
Load ED into instrument slot;
Set midi output to ED;
Go to ED and push "IAA", it will show the regular ED menu instead of the IAA transport bar;
Go to settings and set MIDI note in from ED itself(sounds strange but it works)

Then I think SeekBeats doesn't support IAA at all but it does support Audiobus, which I really recommend since it will make your life a lot easier.
EDIT: it does support IAA but not in instrument slot, just in the fx one but I wasn't able to get the midi notes working by any mean.