BIAS FX crackly crackly

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

pegleg85
Expert

BIAS FX crackly crackly

Post by pegleg85 » Mon Feb 01, 2016 12:07 pm

I am using iPad4, BiasFX, Auria 2.03, Apogee Jam96.

I am trying to record from BiasFX into Auria 2.03 and no matter what I do it comes out crackly. There are 3 other tracks in the song thus far: drums (AIFF loops pasted from LoopLoft), bass (iFretless bass), keys (NeoSoul keys - which by the way records MUCH BETTER in Auria 2.03!!) and that is it. No FX on any other track.

I have tried increasing the buffer to 4096. I have disabled all FX (except for BiasFX). I have selected large disk buffer.

I have connected BiasFX via FX in all 3 of legacy, standard and multi modes. I have also tried via audiobus.

I have made sure that my output levels are not clipping (it is crackly at all dynamics levels).

I was able to record Bias FX in Auria 2.02 (although with a different BiasFX effects loop selected in BiasFX the one I tried to record last night was one with several digi delays and racks in the path).

Does my iPad 4 just not have enough horsepower or am I missing something?

Many thanks in advance.

Gary
Expert

Re: BIAS FX crackly crackly

Post by Gary » Mon Feb 01, 2016 2:55 pm

My experience with BIAS / BIAS FX is that it runs best via audiobus. Your iPad horsepower should be ok. I'm running Auria 2.03 on an iPad mini (A5 processor), but I connect through a Focusrite (most of the time), and occasionally with an iRig HD. Usually have to watch the gain pretty close ...

pegleg85
Expert

Post by pegleg85 » Mon Feb 01, 2016 3:22 pm

I watched the gain pretty close and had it dialed way back. It even crackled the same on low level as high level.

Interesting though maybe because your focusrite handles all the monitoring duties maybe that takes some of the load off the processor?

Thanks

pegleg85
Expert

Post by pegleg85 » Mon Feb 01, 2016 3:39 pm

ah-ha, could be an ios issue with a lot of lightening connector instrument interfaces (see below)

Reply Helpfulby Wood Stock on Jan 14, 2016 3:25 PM
I had this problem too and ended up approaching the Focusrite technical staff. (I am using the Focusrite iTrack Solo unit with GB).
This is their answer to me: "There is a known issue with the Apple iOS 9.2 software that can cause glitches, delays and general audio issues when using a number of brands audio interfaces via the lightning connector on your iPad.
This is likely to be the issue in this case, and it is something that we (as have many companies) raised with Apple in order to try and resolve."

pegleg85
Expert

Post by pegleg85 » Tue Feb 02, 2016 12:17 pm

Ok I tried it again yesterday. If I turned off the stereo on BiasFX then I could record it in Auria without the crackles and pops. Ironically Auria, even though I created a new track in mono, recorded the track as stereo with one channel flatline and the other with recorded music.

Gary
Expert

Post by Gary » Tue Feb 02, 2016 5:56 pm

Maybe it's a Positive Grid issue? Are you running FX on Audiobus input or as an effect?

pegleg85
Expert

Post by pegleg85 » Mon Feb 15, 2016 9:56 am

I tried it both ways. Audiobus and direct. I tried it also in Auria with all three modes.

I just ordered an iPad Pro so we will see if that fixes the problem.

pegleg85
Expert

Post by pegleg85 » Wed Feb 17, 2016 11:52 am

Fixed:
Bias FX issued a new version which solved some of the DSP issues

and

I got an iPad Pro which is simply awesome with Auria, my goodness.