Who needs stinking Audio Units?

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

mrdizzyfingers
Expert

Who needs stinking Audio Units?

Post by mrdizzyfingers » Sun Jan 24, 2016 1:29 am

It seems that developers aren't eager to make iOS compatible audio units. Garage Band is a host, there's like one or two other hosts, and just a handful of effects and Arturia's iSEM may be the lone instrument. I don't know if you guys are planning on adding audio unit functionality to Auria Pro, but as long as you're partnering with music software companies like you have been, you really don't need to. You're ecosystem is the closest to DAW's made for computers. It's getting to the point where I don't have to turn my computer on; and with a few more plugins, I may be able to delete just about every other music production app from my iPad.
I have a dream list of ports that I would love to have in Auria
Waves Renaissance: API and SSL bundles
AIR Music Technologies: Hybrid Stryke, Vacuum and Velvet
UVI Workstation
Any Rob Papen Synth
Addictive Drums

Thanks for all the innovation and hard work. Can't wait to see what you guys will cook up next.
You have a customer for life!

mtingle
Expert

Re: Who needs stinking Audio Units?

Post by mtingle » Sun Jan 24, 2016 7:06 am

dunno, they're much better than IAA apps. Much more preferable in fact as with AU's their settings are saved with each project and you can have multiple instances open in the same song.

Once AU become the new standard the ipad plugin world will open up and start to be attractive to all the standard desktop plugin developers.

mrdizzyfingers
Expert

Post by mrdizzyfingers » Sun Jan 24, 2016 6:15 pm

Basically, it's what Auria has been doing for a few years. In an early review, the writer said that Auria's plugins are ported VST''s. They convinced Sugar Bytes, PSP audio, Fab Filter and others to be down. With a few more partnerships, Auria wouldn't need the AU extension. They've been doing it well. We're still waiting for the flood gates to open, but we've only gotten a few AU drips. In the meantime Rim and company are successfully doing what Apple is experimenting with. If tons of companies get on board the AU for iOS train, that will be wonderful. In the mean time I'll be happy using Auria which is already sporting the same features.

rickwaugh
Expert

Post by rickwaugh » Sun Jan 24, 2016 7:25 pm

It's been the secret sauce in Auria's success. It's a great product as it is, but even on the desktop DAWs, it's having great plugins that make it amazing.

Rim has said he'll put it in at some point, as IAA is seriously flawed. But it's not high on the list of priorities yet. Lots of bugs to squash, and other features to implement.

joaven

Re: Who needs stinking Audio Uni

Post by joaven » Fri Sep 02, 2016 8:11 am

I agree that Auria did an amazing job in pioneering plugins on iOS. And the plugins' quality is amazing. Not cheap but worth the cost. As far is audio tracks are concerned I can do everything I need in Auria.

However, when it comes to instruments, you really need AUs. It's really painful not been able to save the state of the instruments in your project. To me, this is worse than having only one instance per instrument , since we have a real broad choice in instruments. Luckily things are starting to take off. PPG is now putting out AU in all of their instruments. There is finally another major synth supporting AU.

This means that I will be going back and forth between Auria and Cubasis. If Auria adds AU support I will be with Auria all the time. On the other hand Cubasis 2.0 is around the corner, will it tip the scales the other way?

In six months, someone choosing a single DAW to put the money on, will totally pick one that suppots AU.

mtingle
Expert

Post by mtingle » Sat Sep 03, 2016 6:11 am

Really looking forward to a time when Audio Units are ubiquitous and the standard for all ipad daws. It's going to open so many doors when all the cool plugin developers put their software onto the ipad.