New to Auria

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

83SanDimas

New to Auria

Post by 83SanDimas » Fri Jan 15, 2016 9:02 pm

Just bought Auria pro after fiddling with GarageBand. Looks impressive. What is my best source of information on how to use it? Looking for some basic... Here is how to do your first recording videos or well written docs.

Also, if I create a project with no tracks it shows 8 sliders. If I add a track it shows 9 but the original 8 appear unusable and can not be recorded on. They have no arm button. I am sure I am missing something but it is not immediately intuitive.

Thanks

Radside
Expert

Re: New to Auria

Post by Radside » Fri Jan 15, 2016 9:35 pm

Download the user's manual from the website. If you can't figure something out, search this forum. The initial channels are buss channels not recording channels.

83SanDimas

Post by 83SanDimas » Fri Jan 15, 2016 9:58 pm

Thanks, have already done so.

As for the 8 tracks, they say sub and not buss. It is not immediate in the manual. Usually most manuals label the screen, this manual is completely absent of labeling that feature. I am sure it's in their but again, not intuitive.

stromberg-carlson
Expert

lynda.com videos

Post by stromberg-carlson » Fri Jan 15, 2016 10:15 pm

lynda.com has an excellent tutorial on the auria app. i suggest you get a day pass or whatever and check that out. its a must read.

rossFen
Expert

Post by rossFen » Sat Jan 16, 2016 5:53 am

From p. 39 of the manual
Subgroups

Auria’s mixer contains eight separate subgroups which can be used for advanced routing and bus processing. It works be re-routing the channel’s output to a specific subgroup, instead of directly to the master channel, allowing selected channels to be summed and processed together first before being bussed to the master. For example, each drum channel can be assigned to a subgroup, and then by enabling a compressor on that subgroup the entire kit can be compressed together (which sounds different than setting up separate compressors on each individual channel).
I’m new to Auria too, but not so much to DAWs. It helps to have some basic knowledge of mixing, so if you’re just getting started with a DAW like Auria, it takes some patience. There are a variety of YouTube videos out there, but mostly on the original Auria before the Pro version. The mixer is very similar, so try this video to get you started:

https://youtu.be/gEVRQc3d3dg

Radside
Expert

Post by Radside » Sat Jan 16, 2016 6:35 am

83SanDimas wrote:Thanks, have already done so.

As for the 8 tracks, they say sub and not buss. It is not immediate in the manual. Usually most manuals label the screen, this manual is completely absent of labeling that feature. I am sure it's in their but again, not intuitive.
Yes, they say subgroups...sorry about that.

83SanDimas

Post by 83SanDimas » Sun Jan 17, 2016 7:29 am

Thanks for the info.

I know it is a monster app and not a toy and it will take some time for me to get there. I will be back with more questions soon I am sure :)

83SanDimas

Post by 83SanDimas » Sun Jan 24, 2016 9:10 pm

rossFen wrote:From p. 39 of the manual
Subgroups

Auria’s mixer contains eight separate subgroups which can be used for advanced routing and bus processing. It works be re-routing the channel’s output to a specific subgroup, instead of directly to the master channel, allowing selected channels to be summed and processed together first before being bussed to the master. For example, each drum channel can be assigned to a subgroup, and then by enabling a compressor on that subgroup the entire kit can be compressed together (which sounds different than setting up separate compressors on each individual channel).
I’m new to Auria too, but not so much to DAWs. It helps to have some basic knowledge of mixing, so if you’re just getting started with a DAW like Auria, it takes some patience. There are a variety of YouTube videos out there, but mostly on the original Auria before the Pro version. The mixer is very similar, so try this video to get you started:

https://youtu.be/gEVRQc3d3dg

Thanks for this link, I hope Auria can direct me to some better videos. I was 4 minutes in when I paused it to come back to this forum. He is all over the place correcting himself as he goes and misspeaks. He has yet to touch record and playback instead importing tracks.
Last edited by 83SanDimas on Mon Jan 25, 2016 4:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rossFen
Expert

Post by rossFen » Mon Jan 25, 2016 1:11 am

As I remember, it was a good free video that covered some basics, i.e. working with an imported piece. A common application.

Auria’s a big program. If you just want to record and playback some audio, I’m not sure what the problem is. But these relatively new and inexpensive iPad apps are not industry standard established, so don’t expect a bunch of free video libraries out there with spoon-fed training, and aimed at someone with little to no experience. Most of the apps I use on the iPad, I expect it to take some hunting around and being patient for information, and mostly YouTube videos that are obviously off-the-cuff and not professionally produced. That’s the nature of it.

Have you tried Lynda.com? I think they have an Auria series, and you can start with a free 10-day trial period.

...AND... Don't forget the Auria User Manual, which I think is very good.

stromberg-carlson
Expert

Post by stromberg-carlson » Mon Jan 25, 2016 9:40 am

ie mentioned lynda.com in some other threads. that series on auria at lynda.com is choice! primo! it is not the auria PRO but it covers all of the "meat and potatoes" if you will of the app. highly recommended.

i am also new (as of november) to this app and recording on tablets but am not new to music production, so if you are just a hobbyist or beginner, there is a learning curve to be expected.

83SanDimas

Post by 83SanDimas » Mon Jan 25, 2016 4:31 pm

I appreciate the help. Yesterday was frustrating.

Redblooded

Post by Redblooded » Tue Jan 26, 2016 7:53 pm

I'm new to Auria and love it so far. I can't believe everything it does. I am worried that my iPad mini is being stretched to the max. I keep receiving low memory and nothing else is running. I did stop using drum perfect and the effects, should I be concerned? Thank you

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Wed Jan 27, 2016 3:51 pm

Depending on the iPad model you have, it's possible to run out of memory easily if you have other apps running in the background. If you get that message, double tap on the home button and close all your other apps. Also, reboot your iPad if you're still getting messages.

Rim