Auria + Beathawk troubles

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

Nenox
Expert

Auria + Beathawk troubles

Post by Nenox » Sun Jan 10, 2016 4:58 pm

Hi,
I'm trying to control Beathawk with a midi track in Auria, but am failing. Beathawk works fine from external keyboard and when played from cubasis. Cubasis has a virtual midi option, but auria only network session. I don't want to use IAA as the cpu performance was terrible, hovering around 50% just playing a pattern in beathawk. Audiobus was < 10%, both at 128 iframes

BennieTonini
Expert

Re: Auria + Beathawk troubles

Post by BennieTonini » Mon Jan 11, 2016 2:29 pm

Can you tell a little bit more about what you did? Because I've made an Midi track and manually edited some notes and let Beathawk play. Beathawk has a button above the transport it says HOST SYNC I put it off. What exactly isn't "working"?
You should only use Beathawk and AP, no other apps open?

In the MIDI/Audio settings you have something like Send Omni / MIDI select, ect. The manual states this are settings for a keyboard with Beathawk.
If you tried to record Midi FROM Beathawk I think it has no Midi out. In the Audio/MIDI preferences you can only choose inputs.

With regards,

Bennie

Nenox
Expert

Post by Nenox » Mon Jan 11, 2016 4:34 pm

Hi,

Midi notes are not being communicated between Auria and Beathawk, that's the problem :-)

I start with nothing open, then launch both Auria and Beathawk, making sure both have background audio enabled. Then all possible midi ports are enabled in both apps. I then add a midi track in Auria and try to get Beathawk to react to notes from this track, either played in the piano roll editor or by playibg back notes in a part. Host sync is off, since I'm not trying to sync the apps. I have of course set the midi track to output on the correct (or at least the only possible) port and channel. Toggeling omni in Beathawk does not make a difference.

Same scenario with Cubasis, here I can select "virtual midi" as the output port and Beathawk happily responds. Using "network session" which is the only port avaliable when using Auria, also does not work when usng Cubasis.

Cheers
Last edited by Nenox on Mon Jan 11, 2016 4:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Nenox
Expert

Post by Nenox » Mon Jan 11, 2016 4:44 pm

Using Beathawk as an IAA instrument, midi works just fine. However the performance/cpu overhead is unacceptable (at least not really useable). I get crackeling and cpu overload warnings in an empty auria project, with just one IAA track + Beathawk, with a pattern playing just kick and snare 4/4 on iPad Air 2. I'm wondering if there is a way to use IAA to send the midi, without actually routing the audio from beathawk throug it? Then add Audiobus to the mix for The Audio.

If you made it work, I love to know how :-) Othervise I'm hoping Midi Flow can help me out.
Last edited by Nenox on Mon Jan 11, 2016 5:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nenox
Expert

Post by Nenox » Mon Jan 11, 2016 5:11 pm

Success, finally got my head enough around Midiflow and was able to add virtusl input and output ports for beathawk. Using audiobus the cpu meter hovers around 4%, not 30%-50% :-)

If someone wants an explanation of how to set this up let me know. Also, if you can make it work without using IAA or a third party tool, please let me know also!

RIM, is there some reason virtual midi port is not avaliable in Auria?

Cheers