Quantizing Sections

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

Mac Ari
Expert

Quantizing Sections

Post by Mac Ari » Tue Jan 05, 2016 2:56 am

Rim, congratulations on a job well done with the release of Auria Pro. I'd be curious to hear how the software is doing on the Apple App Store. I hope the sales are commensurate with the quality of this product, which would mean brisk!

I am getting pretty deep into a project here where I've tracked some material via MIDI, and could use some help/suggestions.

I've basically triggered the Lyra drum samples via MIDI. For the most part, the performances are fine. However, I run into sections here and there that could use a little tweaking, for example, timing wise. I used the MIDI quantize on the entire performance, but unfortunately, that doesn't work. The basic beat becomes unintelligible, even using the highest resolution of 64 notes. I'm losing the entire flow of the performance and apparently there's too many nuances in it for that to work.

What I'm curious about is this; is there any way to apply quantize to just a single section, like say a bar here and there? That would be a life-saver as opposed to going in and moving the individual stray beat around, or trying to tweak the occasional fill.

I appreciate any feedback on this. Thanks!!

Rim
Site Admin

Re: Quantizing Sections

Post by Rim » Tue Jan 05, 2016 6:10 am

Quantize is only helpful if the MIDI was originally played to a metronome. In other words, it needs to be in the correct tempo and fairly close to the beat already in order for quantize to work. In Auria, there are two ways to apply quantizing to a MIDI track. You can use the real time control, like you already tried, or you can use the process menu to apply quantize to a particular section. To do this, you would highlight a part of the region, then go to the Process menu and choose quantize.

Rim

Mac Ari
Expert

Re: Quantizing Sections

Post by Mac Ari » Wed Jan 06, 2016 1:18 am

Thanks Rim, I'll try this.