Alternative midi-note handling?

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

Rim
Site Admin

Re: Alternative midi-note handling?

Post by Rim » Mon Jan 04, 2016 6:05 pm

Honestly, I have to say that I've never been a fan of external handles, or really anything external for that matter. In the perfect world, the app should be smart enough that things just "work" when you use your fingers to do something. Using external handles, or having modes are really just crutches and often it means the developer didn't think hard enough about the problem to come up with a truly elegant solution. Of course I say this implicating myself as well ;) as Auria has a few of these here and there ;) But my goal is to make things as intuitive as possible, and handles are definitely a step backwards from simplicity and elegance.

Of course no disrespect to you @Soundseeker, everyone in entitled to their opinion, these are just my personal views...

Rim

Soundseeker
Expert

Post by Soundseeker » Mon Jan 04, 2016 6:29 pm

Ok - thats a point, Rim. External handles are surely not ideal. But currently I think, they are a testament to the physical circiumstandes. To my thinking, there are only two ways for handling the problematic:

1. Inderekt handles
2. Divide larger parts into smaller parts

The second method reminds me more on a pattern-sequencer than on a DAW with a timeline.

I have a feeling you will develop a solution, we can all live with. But I think, it is helpful, to communicate ideas.

Kind regards!

Soundseeker
Expert

Post by Soundseeker » Mon Jan 04, 2016 7:16 pm

One last thing: Discrete handles are as ideal as a pc-mouse, - both are crutches. The computer-mouse is a very capable tool for using a sequencer. And the speed-difference between using a PC with a mouse and using a sequencer on the ipad is because the mouse is an indirekt input-medium.

The PC-mouse is an ugly solution, but does the job very well. So - if one can be so fast with a crutch - hell - why not?

As a developer, one wants to invent things from the ground up. But you know, there are problems with not much tolerance for creativity, cause of physical limitations, for example. One ends up with a similar solution or a worse one. I think, editing of small notes, within a small grid, on a touchscreen-device is such a situation, but I could be wrong.

Sometimes a compromise is ideal. :)

Kind regards!
Last edited by Soundseeker on Mon Jan 11, 2016 12:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Mon Jan 04, 2016 8:12 pm

Good points for sure.

Rim