First time user midi problems Auria Pro

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

BennieTonini
Expert

First time user midi problems Auria Pro

Post by BennieTonini » Thu Dec 31, 2015 2:54 pm

So I have the Auria pro on an Ipad Air 2 64 GB and been trying for 2 days to get my Synths to work with midi tracks.
So far I have some trouble with Sunrizer and iM1 getting the right midi settings and the route.
After I got some midi recorded for sunrizer every time i use the transport buttons the sound disappears!
And the sunrizer App needs to restart.

I would love some help with this. I really want to learn how to work with Auria Pro but it's a bit overwhelming
with options. I come from a Reason / Reaper background and this works quitte different with all the midi.

I was able to record some midi with my MPK225 on the Ipad. But I changed some settings and now I'm lost
Is there a way to default the settings in "General"?

If I try to use the in app keyboard of phase 84 to record nothing records. Yes I record enable the track by pushing the red buttons in the track and on the transport. The Waldorf Nave is recording from the in app Keyboard. Does this depend on the app itself? Why are the controls not working in the control bar?

If I hook up my MPK225 and I have like the phase84 and the Arturia ISEM on two tracks they respond to the midi controller
without record arm the track and I don't know how to route this properly! I can mute the sound but is there a better way?

Any ideas? :mrgreen:

Rim
Site Admin

Re: First time user midi problems Auria Pro

Post by Rim » Thu Dec 31, 2015 3:53 pm

It sounds like there might be a problem in Sunrizer, if it resets when you press stop on the transport. Have you tried contacting them as well?

Not all apps support outputting MIDI. I'm not familiar with Phase 84, but it's possible it only supports MIDI input. Sometimes apps have MIDI output that needs to be enabled in their settings.

Another important thing is to make sure Background Audio mode is enabled in Auria's settings page. Otherwise Auria will suspend to the background in you open another app.

Rim

BennieTonini
Expert

Post by BennieTonini » Thu Dec 31, 2015 5:19 pm

Yes I contacted Bleepstreet to ask what is going on with Sunrizer in Auria Pro.

So:
In the "midi protocol" (in midi settings) do I need to choose Mackie HUI or MCU?
In the "CoreAudio Mode" (in general settings) do I choose Legacy / Standard / Multiroute?

If I don't see the Synthesizers in the Core Midi Inputs / Outputs are the still working on the "Network session" ?

I can't seem to understand the Midi concept on the Ipad with all these options? Is there a way to learn about it what it does?
Google has not brought any understanding so far. The Midi route from and to Auria Pro is somewhat a mess in my house.

Could someone elaborate on this? Are there still synths unusable like this? When will they be fixed? Do i need to address these problems to those developers?

I want Auria Pro to be my main DAW on the Ipad but if this problems persist I need to work with Cubasis as well and I really want to get rid of that if you know what I mean haha!

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Fri Jan 01, 2016 7:11 am

In your case, there's no need to touch the MIDI settings in the settings page. Those settings are only for using Core MIDI. Things are a bit confusing in terms of MIDI on the iPad. I'll try to elaborate:

iPads have two ways to communicate using MIDI:

Core MIDI: This is what you use when you want to send MIDI from one app to another, and is the older way to passing MIDI around. If you're using IAAs, this is typically not used.

IAA: When you've inserted an IAA into Auria, MIDI is automatically passed from the Auria directly to the app, and it doesn't use Core MIDI.

Unfortunately, the IAA system on iPad is a real mess. Some apps work, some don't. Some apps listen to both Core MIDI and IAA at the same time, some output on both, and others simply don't have things implemented correctly.

Typically when you have IAA issues, it's good to contact both the developer of the app, and the developer of the DAW you're running it in, to see if there are any known incompatibility issues.

Rim