Problems with Thumbjam & Arpeggist

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

Reid

Problems with Thumbjam & Arpeggist

Post by Reid » Wed Dec 30, 2015 6:13 am

I never have any problem recording Thumbjam audio into Auria if I use my external keyboard within Auria, but I haven't been able to record anything when I use Thumbjam as a controller. I've tried IAA and Audiobus numerous times but haven't been able to set it up right. What am I doing wrong? The only thing I haven't done is try it as a MIDI controller, but I would prefer to just put the audio into Auria and remove the Thumbjam connection from my song.

I've had good luck controlling other apps with Virsyn's MIDI arpeggiator Arpeggist, but I can't get it to work with Fabfilter Twin 2. Any advice for me here?

Thanks!

DavePDX
Expert

Re: Problems with Thumbjam & Arpeggist

Post by DavePDX » Wed Dec 30, 2015 11:41 am

Thumbjam works really well as a controller. Make sure Thumbjam is launched, then just create a MIDI track in Auria, and set the instrument to Thumbjam. Record your part (which will be MIDI at this point). You can then edit the MIDI, set the instrument to some other instrument, or simply use the Bounce Track in Place feature to record the audio directly to the track.

rickwaugh
Expert

Post by rickwaugh » Wed Dec 30, 2015 6:46 pm

Just tried this now, and it worked for me, using Audiobus.

Opened Audiobus.
Added Thumbjam as an input.
Added Auria Pro as an output.
Set Auria pro to record, flipped over to TJ, hit play, and started to play. Recorded well.

I'm pretty much done with IAA. Way too many problems.

If you can't get the above to go, I'd kill everything, reboot, and then start it up in the above order again. It can be a tad finicky.

Reid

Post by Reid » Thu Dec 31, 2015 6:48 am

I tried audiobus over and over, but no go. Eventually I figured out what the problem was with IAA. There are eleven IAA inputs from Thumbjam to Auria, including loops, Main Output, 8 slots and "Inst" I think I was using Main Output and switched to Inst. Or something. Anyway, it worked. I do want to record Thumbjam so it sounds exactly as I hear it in Thumbjam, because it is so expressive.

Anybody have advice for me about how to plug in Arpeggist?

krzycrs
Expert

Post by krzycrs » Thu Dec 31, 2015 12:30 pm

Don't have arpeggist, however within steppolyarp its 'SPA Midi out' + 'Thumbjam for Midi in', then in TJ 'spa both input and output', and in Auria one miditrack with TJ as an instrument, midi input 'Thumbjam', and another midi track with 'steppolyarp' as midi in (with ch. selected 2, in SPA select ch.2 for midi out), maybe add another audio track and additional midi tracks the like ...