Inverse bounce function to midi track (v-drums)

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

xelayb

Inverse bounce function to midi track (v-drums)

Post by xelayb » Tue Dec 29, 2015 6:45 am

Hi,

I would like to know if exist a function "hidden :-)" to do the inverse bounce function in midi track, separating each midi note in new track to do mixer each separated. This is excellent resource when record v-drums or import drums midi file, and each drum piece could be worked separated and later converted in audio track to do process by audio effects or drum plugins like drumagog.

Other form to do the same, just in import file option, would be map each note (drums piece) in midi channel different and create each track with the specific midi channel.

Thanks a lot
Best regards

Anthony Alves
Expert

Re: Inverse bounce function to midi track (v-drums)

Post by Anthony Alves » Tue Dec 29, 2015 6:57 am

Simply create as many midi tracks as your drum pads require. So if you have played on 8 drum pads then create 8 midi tracks. You will need these anyway to do what you want to do. Then copy all the midi from the original midi track and paste into the other tracks. Now on each track delete the notes you don't want and leave just the notes that represent the individual drum pad part. I can do this in less than 2 mins so very easy and quick. AS for the import file idea unfortunately there are more midi notes than midi channels. The problem is with the controller. If you were sending each pad of your vdrums on a separate midi channel than this would be recorded at first pass with each pad going to a different midi track on a separate midi channel. But because you are transmitting midi notes across only one midi channel there is no midi information for the app to grab to know the difference. Midi files that are packaged in the GM format will be seen by Auria Pro and will be allocated to that specific midi channel with the correct instrument part and midi notes and as usual the drums will be on ch10 with all the notes within that channel. The only possible way I can think of is to have a Restrict Notes option like the Restrict Polyphony under the Process menu. This filter could possibly ignore any note other than the one chosen to record onto that track. However it is easier on the iPad cpu if you don't have to engage 8 tracks to record at once just to have each midi note on a different track. This is best done after the single track recording of your live drum part using the above method as you wont be taxing the cpu at all with the copy and paste midi method. After all your talking about mixing the drum parts and this will require some time and plugins and listening so a bit more time to set it all up shouldn't really slow down your work flow. Think of it as post production. Cheers

xelayb

Post by xelayb » Tue Dec 29, 2015 8:10 am

Hi Anthony,

Thanks for your suggestion and you are right, I can delete piece-by-piece by track. I will see the best way to do it, because I have music with a lot of notes and cut each note (like hi-hat) in long track could be hard. I'll read the manual again and maybe there is a best way, like select all specific notes in piano roll from the MIDI track and delete all :-).

Let me say why my question. The ezdrummer 2 (Mac) put each note in specific track and I can equalize individually each piece and I would like to do the same in Auria Pro. :-) In Auria Pro I have almost everything to do my musical job unless a drums like ezdrummer. Yesterday I record a little music in ezdrummer and exported for 4 files differents and imported in Auria each file in different track...... not useful.

The import file could be limit to 16 midi channel "just" drum MIDI files.

Regards

rickwaugh
Expert

Post by rickwaugh » Tue Dec 29, 2015 4:28 pm

There are ways to select all the same midi notes, thus making it easier to do. The other thing you could do is use Midiflow, another app, it's very cheap and efficient. You set your drum app as input to Midiflow, and set up a route for each drum. Each route only forwards on the notes you want to send, to the channel you want to send it to in Auria.

Works very nicely.

xelayb

Post by xelayb » Wed Dec 30, 2015 1:52 am

Hi rickwaugh,

Delete notes was easy and work well, but duplicate 8 tracks with 4,5 minutes, it was not useful.
I will follow your suggestion and read/test about Midiflow, it's that I need now. I am reading the documentations Roland v-drums, in midi section, about send notes.

Best regards and happy new year