Workflow for saving versions of songs

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

leem
Expert

Workflow for saving versions of songs

Post by leem » Fri Dec 25, 2015 10:01 am

What is the most efficient way to save multiple versions of songs/projects?

Here is the scenario: when tracking with the band, we like to do multiple takes. So we will do a take, and say, "let's save that one but do a few more".

So what I do is - "save copy of project", give it a different name. Then "load recent" and chose the original name. That way the main project name stays current. Then I have to delete all the audio tracks, re-arm, and re-record for the next take.

Is there a more efficient way to go about this? It would be nice to have this as some kind of built in feature to speed things up during sessions.

Or is it just better to keep recording multiple audio tracks within the same project and let them overlay each other? That seems like is more difficult to go back and listen to different versions to see which one to keep.

Now if we know it is not a "keeper", that is easy, I just hit Undo Recording and it deletes the tracks.

Rim
Site Admin

Re: Workflow for saving versions of songs

Post by Rim » Fri Dec 25, 2015 10:04 am

The most efficient way to do this is with snapshots. They take very little space of the disk (because they don't save the audio) and are easy to make.

Rim

leem
Expert

Post by leem » Fri Dec 25, 2015 11:52 am

Ok - yes I thought snapshots might be best, but I need to save the audio for the tracks, so that we have multiple versions of the audio recordings. Will they do that?

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Fri Dec 25, 2015 12:08 pm

Since Auria is a non-destructive DAW, audio never gets deleted. Every time you record a new take, or do edits like copy/paste/delete, etc, the audio doesn't get touched. So snapshots are a great way to do what you're after. The only functions that are destructive are in the Process menu.

Rim