Typical way to record vocals

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

MicciHay
Expert

Typical way to record vocals

Post by MicciHay » Fri Dec 25, 2015 4:38 am

I just like to have somebody’s suggestion on recording vocals. Is it typical and recommendable to select the “Vocal” on the Channel Strip screen (of the assigned track)?

When I do so, the parameters of the “Compressor” are changed. Does this mean the compressor effect is inserted when the vocal part is recorded?

Washboy
Expert

Re: Typical way to record vocals

Post by Washboy » Fri Dec 25, 2015 8:19 am

Unless you have 'Menu -> Settings -> Record (Tab) -> Disable Effects While Recording' = Yes, then everything active in the ChannelStrip (incl. Insert FX) will be recorded.

richardyot
Expert

Post by richardyot » Fri Dec 25, 2015 4:24 pm

Actually that's not quite right. The setting in the preferences just determines whether you can monitor with effects, but not whether effects are recorded along with the audio. To do that you need to long press on the record-enable button and select "record effects" from the menu.

Generally it's best not to record the effects with the audio, so that you can tweak them at mix time.

Washboy
Expert

Post by Washboy » Fri Dec 25, 2015 4:57 pm

Damn! Yes, you're absolutely correct, @richardyot - and I know better than that! :oops: Well caught :D

Apologies for the bum steer, @MicciHay :)

richardyot
Expert

Post by richardyot » Sat Dec 26, 2015 2:32 am

No worries :)

To the OP: generally you want to record the vocals unprocessed and then apply some compression afterwards to even out the volume and maybe a little reverb and/or delay.

MicciHay
Expert

Post by MicciHay » Sat Dec 26, 2015 3:42 am

Thank you for your reply. My voice is quite loud at the peak and significantly subtle usually when I sing. That is why I often used compressor/limitter when I recorded.

But if it is allowed to record as the natural, no compression no limitation, and to compress and limit later, it would be of course better. Would you instruct me how to do it?

richardyot
Expert

Post by richardyot » Sat Dec 26, 2015 4:11 pm

MicciHay wrote: But if it is allowed to record as the natural, no compression no limitation, and to compress and limit later, it would be of course better. Would you instruct me how to do it?
Yes most definitely. With digital recording you have a lot of headroom, so record your vocals so that the loudest parts hit around minus 18 on the meter and then compress at mix time.

MicciHay
Expert

Post by MicciHay » Sat Dec 26, 2015 10:22 pm

Thank you very much. I will try it next time.

wigglelights
Expert

Post by wigglelights » Sun Dec 27, 2015 9:39 am

richardyot wrote:
Yes most definitely. With digital recording you have a lot of headroom, so record your vocals so that the loudest parts hit around minus 18 on the meter and then compress at mix time.
+1 here - get the clean recording first, and that leaves you the most options later.

A couple of additional thoughts -

Learn your microphone. Each has it's own sensitivity - it sounds like you have a high dynamic range, so understanding how your mic responds to that will give you a better recording.

Presets - with acoustic instruments, and especially with voice, there is no "one size fits all" preset. Using the Vocal preset should just be a starting point to get you in the ballpark. Be ready to spend time with the channel strip to find what fits your voice.

There's a fantastic channel on YouTube; TheRecordingRevolution.com. Tons of tutorials, many specifically around vocals. While he mainly uses ProTools, all the concepts will transfer directly to Auria.

And don't be put off - getting a great vocal sound is one of the holy grails of engineering. It takes a bit of time to learn how to get it, but as it seems you've chosen Auria you have access to all the tools you need.

Best of luck!

pitzipado
Expert

Post by pitzipado » Sun Dec 27, 2015 10:19 am

MicciHay wrote:I just like to have somebody’s suggestion on recording vocals. Is it typical and recommendable to select the “Vocal” on the Channel Strip screen (of the assigned track)?

When I do so, the parameters of the “Compressor” are changed. Does this mean the compressor effect is inserted when the vocal part is recorded?
If you haven't yet viewed these they might provide some useful information especially the one on
use of the psp channel strip
http://auriaapp.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=10277