Synth Master Player IAP crashing in Auria Pro

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

Monoboy
Expert

Synth Master Player IAP crashing in Auria Pro

Post by Monoboy » Mon Dec 14, 2015 3:17 am

When loading up Synth Master Player as an IAP within Auria Pro, it will often crash and unlink the Synth from Auria, can occur after i record midi data to the track, it will unlink from Auria pro, or if im choosing presets in SMplayer and i click on the Auria logo to swap back it will again unlink - its pretty unsuable in this state. Reckon its an issue with the Synthmaster plugin or with auria?

I have the latest update for SMplayer.

Cheers!

Hansson

Re: Synth Master Player IAP crashing in Auria Pro

Post by Hansson » Mon Dec 14, 2015 3:39 am

I have the same problem, it is a little bit more stable when i add it as inter app audio (audio only in the insert FX on an audio channel) and send midi to it from a different channel, when it loads it arms the track for recording, as long as i keep it armed it works, when i "unarm" the track for recording the connection to SMplayer breaks.

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Mon Dec 14, 2015 5:59 am

I've heard reports of SM having issues with other apps as well. So far, I haven't seen any crashes in Auria itself, so at this point, I am assuming this is an issue on their side. Often iOS will close Auria as a result of running out of memory, so this may be happening as well.

Rim

Hansson

Post by Hansson » Tue Dec 15, 2015 2:43 am

IT works a bit better with audioBus, has anyone experimented with different Buffer sizes ?

Reid

Post by Reid » Thu Dec 17, 2015 8:08 am

The creators of SynthMaster Player knows it's a system resources hog. That's why they show you the CPU percentage for each patch. After struggling a long time to record a track, I did a workaround. I recorded a rough mixdown of my other tracks and imported it into Cubasis. SynthMaster Player recorded MIDI like a charm in Cubasis. When I was finished editing the midi I soloed the track, did an audio mix, and imported that track back to Auria. It sounds like a lot, but it is a lot faster than struggling to record SynthMaster Player into Auria.

By the way, I had the exact same problem with Ampkit+. Some other apps haven't worked for me at all, like Alchemy, Sunrizer, IMS-20 and DM1. Maybe I'm doing something wrong. I don't care though-- I have so many other apps that work fine in Auria. But SynthMaster Player is my favorite, and there is no way I will give it up.

Monoboy
Expert

Post by Monoboy » Thu Jan 28, 2016 5:10 am

Seems like the new Auria 2.03 update has fixed the issue :D YESSSSS!

Hansson

Post by Hansson » Thu Jan 28, 2016 5:53 am

Yep, i noticed that too yesterday, although bounce in place wont work (but it never wrked in any other Daw either, not a biggie).. this is awesome, allthough i've fuund new love for animoog now, but still awesme.

Trentsongs
Expert

Post by Trentsongs » Thu Jan 28, 2016 11:45 pm

Thanks again RIM.

Tovokas
Expert

Post by Tovokas » Sat Jan 30, 2016 6:56 pm

SynthMaster is no longer crashing on my iPad Air in Auria, which is great! It doesn't, however, respond to midi in the instrument slot (An SM issue that I'm sure Auria has no control over: it doesn't work in any of my other hosts either...) I'm sure the old pros know these tips, but if you're trying to get it working, and have been frustrated, this seems to work:

1) Create a midi track to house the midi data with no instrument set. Output Bus 1.
2) Create a stereo track with SynthMaster placed in the channel strip. Input: Bus 1.
3) Go back to the midi track and in the output dropdown of the channel strip select SynthMaster in the CoreMIDI section.

There's no way to freeze, mixdown, or bounce in place this setup to save CPU. To record the audio, I create a new track that accepts the master as its input when the recording button is armed then play through the appropriate section with recording enabled and the midi and SM stereo tracks solo'd. (Then I have to delete the SynthMaster IAA, since it sits there chewing up 20-30% CPU even when muted).

There might be a somewhat simpler solution out there, but so far I haven't found it.

Sound and functionality-wise, SynthMaster is currently seems my best option to fill the space that Alchemy formerly occupied. But if any synth cries out to be immediately frozen, it's SynthMaster, so I'll be happy indeed if one day it can live happily in the instrument slot. :D