Channel = All

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

rsn

Channel = All

Post by rsn » Tue Dec 08, 2015 8:43 pm

Not sure if this is possible.
When a MIDI file is imported all channels are set to All. Is it possible to populate them with the channel from the MIDI file?

Thanks,
Ruben

Rim
Site Admin

Re: Channel = All

Post by Rim » Tue Dec 08, 2015 10:43 pm

That's not possible because the MIDI channel box is a multi-purpose box - it works for both input and output. When recording, if it's set to All, it accepts input from all channels (which is what you want, so all input is recorded). And when it's being used for output, All is meaningless, and is the same as setting it to 1.

Rim

rsn

Post by rsn » Tue Dec 08, 2015 11:14 pm

I'm currently using an external Sound Module to play sounds.
Most sequencers have the "Channel" selection as two separate items.
i.e.
Channel 1
Input Channel = All
Output Channel = 1
Channel 2
Input Channel = All
Output Channel = 2

Current issue is that all channels are set to the same sound on my external sound module because Channel is set to "All" for all of them.
What I have to do is go and manually set each channel to a different output channel.

Thanks,
Ruben

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Tue Dec 08, 2015 11:25 pm

The main reason I default to outputting on channel 1 is to make it work better with other synths. In an early beta, I had every track equal to a different MIDI channel, but I got a lot of complaints because various synths weren't working. Users didn't know the channel wasn't 1. So now, I default to 1 (all is the same as 1)

Rim

Washboy
Expert

Post by Washboy » Wed Dec 09, 2015 4:19 am

The more features you have, the more Preference settings you end up needing :wink:

rsn

Post by rsn » Wed Dec 09, 2015 8:38 pm

Going back to the multi-purpose MIDI channel box.
I setup a new Song, with a couple of channels.
Ch 1 – Piano (Channel is set to 1)
Ch 2 – Strings (Channel is set to 2)
I record enable channel 1 and recorded the piano (it worked fine)
I record enable channel 2 and it did not record anything on channel 2 because most external pianos transmit midi on channel 1. So, if I want to record channel 2 I have to set the channel to 1 which will let me record midi, then set it back to Channel 2 when I'm done recording so that sounds are selected correctly on the external piano.
Can the multi-purpose channel be separated into two different boxes?
Channel Input
Channel Output

Sparkle
Expert

Post by Sparkle » Thu Dec 10, 2015 6:54 am

I would add my request for input & output chanels to be selected independently ,
it's already problemmatic in my midi setut not to have this , & is necessary IF Auria is to be the control hub of a midi sequencing system worthy of a "Pro" title.
Maybe anyone happy to lose functionality because they're worried about " too many preferences " should stick to Lite.

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Thu Dec 10, 2015 7:02 am

Separating the input and output channel selectors is something I wanted to do, but I didn't get it in time for the release. It'll appear in a future update for sure.

Rim