Lyra and EXS24 sample libraries

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

jgdeschamps

Lyra and EXS24 sample libraries

Post by jgdeschamps » Mon Dec 07, 2015 10:24 am

Hi guys,
Long story short: I was gonna get Auria last year, I didn't. Now that it has Lyra with EXS support I'm wondering if it would run the Imperfect Samples EXS24 Fazioli Basic piano library. Anyone has had any experience with a similar situation? I'm eager to go Mac-less and iPad only. Thanks for any input!

Julio

Rim
Site Admin

Re: Lyra and EXS24 sample libraries

Post by Rim » Mon Dec 07, 2015 10:34 am

If it's EXS, Lyra should be able to play it without any issues. We haven't tested that particular library though.

Rim

jgdeschamps

Post by jgdeschamps » Mon Dec 07, 2015 10:48 am

Thanks for the reply, Rim.
I'm asking because I practice piano with a Yamaha P-105 as a controller and the Galaxy Instruments Vintage D library played through my iMac. That specific Vintage D library is Kontakt only, so to try and substitute that kind of quality on an iPad I would buy either the EXS24 basic or pro version of the Fazioli Grand or Walnut Steinway library from Imperfect Samples and upload it to Lyra, but you know those things do a lot of sample switching for key-on/key-off sounds, half pedaling, piano board resonance, wood sound FX, etc. That's why I'm interested in knowing if Auria Pro's Lyra and one of those libraries would work correctly.

Julio

PS. I'm not advertising the above mentioned piano libraries. Sorry if it comes up like that, it's not my intention.

gotohtom

Post by gotohtom » Tue Dec 08, 2015 3:30 am

I just tried a lot of EXS24 libraries including :
Imperfect Samples Fazioli (13gb library per mic position).

I used only the P2 position (inside piano), it's a huge 12gb library to send to the ipad via ifunbox. The NR patchs (no release) work great, sounds fantastic, put to shame any other piano app on the appstore and load quickly.
But the normal patches (with release) encounter sound bugs during the release. I can hear some notes repeated and/or too loud piano keyboard sounds. I suppose that the EXS24 format is not fully implemented (volume program problem?) because the release sound should be lower as it is on Mac.

I also tried Primesounds session strings, it sounds extremely good (especially if you load 4 tracks with each legato strings), much better than any iOS app.
It's a bit of a burden to use though. Auria can't allow me more than 2 subfolders from the root in the menu and when there are too much patches I can't even scroll down, the interface bump and comeback on top.
Also for no reason Auria isn't able to load the samples for some patches, or at least, no sound comes out. But for other patches from the same library, it works well. It seems that EXS24 format implementation isn't finish yet.

On the good side, I can see here a lot of potential. As a sample player/virtual instrument it's fantastic. So, the EXS24 library management and instruments/patches management should be more user friendly with better ergonomics.

Overall it works great for memory management, fast loadings, latency, but some bugs remains (especially with the sustain pedal connected with midi, a lot of midi notes stay in sustain mode instead of being released when I move my foot out from the pedal).

Some EXS libraries doesn't work at all, patches are here, samples also but nothing happens, no sound or sample can be loaded. Because there is no information window/box, relinking samples option or even loading samples progress, it's really hard to understand why it doesn't work.

EXS libraries that DON'T WORK at all :
- Best Service Advanced Orchestra (nothing happens, no loading/sound/etc.)
- Junk Spider Guitars (nothing happens, no loading/sound/etc.)

EXS libraries that Works with some bugs or tweak (moving .exs file outside of the original folder for example) :
- Primesounds session strings (some patches doesn't load)
- Imperfect Samples Fazioli (sound bugs on normal release patchs)
- Vienna symphonic library horizon series Overdrive (some patchs load, others don't, hard to find why)

EXS libraries that works out of the box but need to move patch folder into the root :
- Adam Serafin's Grand Piano
- Wavesfactory Old Tape Piano
- Lakeside Organ
- Microhammer Iron

For a 2.0 version it's okay, but I hope it could be improved with time. Even like this, the Fazioli piano sounds so much better than any iOS piano, and the strings too. I highly recommend Auria 2.0, but you should not expect something smooth and user friendly for now. You have to dig into it and pray your library will work.

If someone needs it, I can do a video to explaining the different bugs I encountered and loading problems.
Last edited by gotohtom on Wed Dec 09, 2015 11:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Tue Dec 08, 2015 6:25 am

Thanks for doing such extensive testing. I would love to get Lyra to work with all your libraries. Please email me: rim@drumagog and we can do some troubleshooting. Every new version of Lyra will improve, as we test against different sample libraries.

The sustain issue you describe is an issue we already know about and it involves using a controller with aftertouch. Lyra currently has an issue with aftertouch and EXS files.

Rim

jgdeschamps

Post by jgdeschamps » Tue Dec 08, 2015 8:47 am

Thank you, gotohtom!
That's more or less what I was expecting, that the basic version would work, and the more heavy/advanced ones would have problems with some specialized sounds, like resonance, key-off, wooden sounds, etc.
In any case, it's a huge advancement over what the iPad has to offer like Korg's and SampleTank's instruments that left much to be desired.
I think I'm gonna take the plunge on Christmas and buy Auria Pro along the Basic Fazioli or Basic Walnut Steinway (hard to decide!)
It's a great job you are doing, Rim. I see why everyone here is in love with Auria. I'm next in line! :D

hymnotix

Post by hymnotix » Fri Dec 11, 2015 9:38 pm

I'm glad to see others have had success with EXS libraries. Rim, is the import process the same as you have listed for SFZ and SF2 import?

I can't seem to get EXS libraries to import to Auria Pro. What is the exact folder structure needed?

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Fri Dec 11, 2015 9:56 pm

Yes, the process is the same. Just make sure the samples folder is in the same folder as the EXS file. If you're still having trouble with it, send me the files and I'll have a look here.

Thanks,
Rim

jgdeschamps

Post by jgdeschamps » Mon Dec 21, 2015 8:07 pm

Hi Rim,
I'm ready to buy Auria Pro, and I just want to confirm that the following procedure works...
I own Mainstage and Garageband along their respective contents, so I'd like to use the EXS24 piano patch that's the basis for the Bosendorfer and Steinway channel strip presets and try to recreate them in Auria (funny project, I know :lol: .)
So, from what I've gathered around the forum, this is what I would have to do:
1) Download iFunBox and locate with it the correct Lyra samples folder from mi iMac
2) Copy the Grand Piano.exs file and its associated Classical Piano .aif files in the same samples folder
3) The patch will load up within a Lyra menu
4) Adjust in Auria Pro a channel strip settings similar to what Mainstage and Garageband use for the Bosendorfer or Steinway piano and save the session to be recalled later as a piano patch.
Is this correct? Additionally, has someone had luck transferring Mainstage/Garageband EXS patches in Lyra?
Sorry, I'm eager to do this and I want to be very sure that it will work! :D
Thanks!

Julio

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Mon Dec 21, 2015 9:03 pm

Yes, that's basically it. The samples should be in their own subfolder in the same folder as the EXS file.

Rim

Zmarce

Post by Zmarce » Sat Jan 02, 2016 12:37 pm

Hi Rim
today i can successfully load my personal collecion of Nord Piano sampler library (i made .exs .nki .sxt with autosmapler, 12 velocity per key, more than 1gb)
i-m very happy with Lyra and with Auria pro.
congratulations

Marcelo