(How) can you record audio from midi track ?

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

Sparkle
Expert

(How) can you record audio from midi track ?

Post by Sparkle » Sat Dec 05, 2015 4:32 pm

if you dont want to Bounce in Place ,
because you want to keep the midi info &/or include realtime performance of synth/fx parameters as you record ,
how do you do this ?

I tried sending MidiTrack audio OUT to a Bus 1, and set Track1 IN to Bus , but on pressing record the input changed to "mic".

i'm hoping this is possible .

Rim
Site Admin

Re: (How) can you record audio from midi track ?

Post by Rim » Sat Dec 05, 2015 4:38 pm

Sure, it's possible. Do the same thing you did, but select Master as the record source for track 2. Then solo your midi track. Now when you record, you'll get the audio and the midi recorded at the same time.

Rim

Sparkle
Expert

Post by Sparkle » Sat Dec 05, 2015 4:40 pm

But if " solo " how are you meant to hear the rest of the music for realtime performance recording ?

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Sat Dec 05, 2015 5:01 pm

If you need to do that, then it's not possible currently. Might be a nice thing to add in the future. I could see adding the ability to record directly from a bus, for example.

Rim

Sparkle
Expert

Post by Sparkle » Sat Dec 05, 2015 5:19 pm

Yes , recording from a Bus would be so useful ,
not just to solve this important function which is expected in a Pro midi DAW ,
but for other creative/problem solving scenarios .

Please add this to the "very important" ( not "might be nice") list of quickly needed updates .

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Sat Dec 05, 2015 5:29 pm

"Very important" to me is making sure Auria doesn't crash, and i have several things to fix in that department first. So this won't get done immediately. And something like this might not be easy for me to code. I'll have to take a good look at it and see how difficult it will be to implement and if there are any programing gotchas. But off the top of my head, it seems like it might not affect too many things. Keep in mind that WaveMachine is just me, and I'm trying hard to get everything right post release...

Rim

Sparkle
Expert

Post by Sparkle » Sat Dec 05, 2015 6:53 pm

Understood , (& I 'm getting plenty of crashes ) Of course that's your priority .
i meant "updates" as in after major bugfixes , and I do appreciate your work .

Anthony Alves
Expert

Post by Anthony Alves » Sat Dec 05, 2015 7:16 pm

If you have a audio interface with multi outputs then this is really easy to do. Just sent the output of the track to go out a separate audio channel say 3/4 and loop those outputs back into your audio interface. You could also record your synth live performance using midi CC if you using the pro with Twin 2 and One. Lyra has its own RW for automation. Once you have your performance down then you can just freeze the track and all your midi is still there as you left it and you can update it at any time. so if your looking to keep your midi info and settings but wanting to free up cpu usage then freeze the midi track instead of bouncing it to audio. That should only be used when you are done and satisfied that the midi is what you want and then turn it into an audio track not only to free up cpu but to begin the mix down process of your song. Cheers.

richardyot
Expert

Post by richardyot » Sun Dec 06, 2015 11:02 am

You can also do mixdown of the solo-ed track and use the "import as new track" option, then just mute the original MIDI track. Seems to be the most straightforward way.

Freezing tracks works, but it limits you a bit because you then can't re-arrange your track order or do any chopping of audio.