Auria to Auria Pro Upgrade Troubleshooting

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

Rim
Site Admin

Auria to Auria Pro Upgrade Troubleshooting

Post by Rim » Sat Dec 05, 2015 7:08 am

There's been a lot of confusion about upgrades, so I wanted to explain what's going on behind the scenes a bit:

Apple maintains a closed system for its apps. So purchases made in one app are completely separate from purchases made in another app. If you own both Auria and Auria Pro, according to Apple, you have to re-purchase all your in-app content again if you want to have it in both Auria versions. These are simply Apple's rules.

However, if you don't have two separate Auria versions, but instead own Auria and decide to upgrade from within the app to Auria Pro, Apple still considers you an owner of the Auria app. So any in-app content you may have bought over the years is still there, and available to you after you upgrade to Pro from within the app.

There are a few issues that can arise with upgrades, and I'd like to address these:

If you own a copy of the standard Auria (or LE), and you upgrade to Pro from within the app, keep in mind that according to Apple, you still own the original app you bought. An in-app upgrade doesn't "turn your app into" the upgraded app. Apple doesn't have a mechanism to do that. The only thing an in-app upgrade does is turn on extra features in the app (in this case all the features in Pro). But as far as Apple is concerned, you still only own the Auria app (or LE). So this can present a few challenges:

1. If you need to delete your app, and want to re-install it, make sure you choose the original app you bought. Otherwise, you'll get charged for buying something you don't own (according to Apple). In other words, if you bought Auria, then upgraded to Pro, you should choose Auria from the App Store when reinstalling it, not Auria Pro. Or if you have LE and you upgraded it to Pro, choose LE from the App Store. Remember, Apple thinks you still own LE. It might be an LE version with a whole lot of extra features turned on, but to them, you're still an LE owner. Trying to download Pro from the App Store will result in Apple charging you for it. I wish it weren't true, but this is the way the App Store works, and there's no way around it.

2. If you bought both apps (you have two icons on your iPad, Auria and Auria Pro), remember that according to Apple, these are two completely separate apps, so purchases made in one don't appear in the other. So please don't go into the Auria Pro store and buy some plugins, thinking Apple won't charge you twice because you already bought these on your other Auria copy. Apple doesn't see it that way. These are two separate apps, and they will charge you again if you try to buy a plugin in Pro that you already own in the standard Auria.

To get around this problem, we added some functionality that allows one app to ask the other app what purchases have been made and to "unlock" the same purchases in the second app. This has been done by many other apps in the past (and these apps have all been approved by Apple), so we felt it was safe to add this functionality to Auria Pro as well.

So if you own both Auria and Auria Pro apps, you can press a button in the settings page of Auria Pro that will transfer your in-app purchases from Auria to Auria Pro. This is a way of unlocking the content you already purchased in Auria, but remember, doing this doesn't "sync up" with Apple. Apple still thinks you haven't bought these plugins in Auria Pro. So if you need to delete your apps, or reinstall onto another iPad, you'll need to install both apps, restore all your purchases on Auria, then go into Auria Pro and press the new "Transfer Purchases" button. Very complex, but it's the only way around Apple charging you twice for all your plugins.

I really wish there were simpler ways to do all of this, but our hands are tied here. We are all playing in Apple's playground and upgrades are simply not easy on this platform. We're trying to make it as painless as we can, given the challenges.

Hopefully this helps to clear things up a bit. Oh, how I miss the good old days of direct sales...

Rim

supanorton
Expert

Re: Auria to Auria Pro Upgrade Troubleshooting

Post by supanorton » Sat Dec 05, 2015 9:03 am

Not sure how it works, but IK Multimedia uses iCloud somehow to sync IAPs among their different guitar apps. The IAPs automatically appear in the versions of their apps I have across devices and apps (AmpliTube full for iPad and AmpliTube LE for iPhone). I think I just had to turn on iCloud in the IK apps by going through the settings app on the device. Anything I purchase in one automatically appears in the other. Just a suggestion.

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Sat Dec 05, 2015 9:49 am

Exactly. What they are doing is the same trick we did (but though iCloud in their case). In either case, Apple is kept out of the loop, as they don't officially support any kind of inter-app purchase transferring.

Rim

Steve White
Expert

Post by Steve White » Sat Dec 05, 2015 1:10 pm

Ok

So I upgraded to Pro from the original Auria App but it still says just Auria. So am I supposed to delete the original Auria App and the re-install the original Auria App to solve my problem?

Thank you
Steve on a iPad Pro

Steve White
Expert

Post by Steve White » Sat Dec 05, 2015 3:10 pm

Let me give you a little further info on what is not happening. I updated Auria to the new 2.0. Opened Auria and in the menu that said upgrade, I clicked. It went to the purchase process and I got an email saying I had purchased it and at 39.99. The problem is nothing has changed except for the look. I don't have the Auria Pro. When I go to your store front There is still an option on the bottom with the Auria logo that says upgrade across it, if I click that I come to a screen with nothing else in it except for the back and restore purchases options.

This is why I'm stuck. I don't want to delete Auria from my Pro unless that's what you are saying I have to do to fix it?

Thank you

Steve

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Sat Dec 05, 2015 4:13 pm

Steve,

It sounds like you might actually have the Pro functionality. Go to the settings page within Auria and see if it says Pro at the bottom next to the version number. Another way you'll know if you have Pro, is if you can add a MIDI track. If it's not pro, you'll only have the option to add a Mono or Stereo track, not MIDI.

If you can't get the FabFilter synths to show up, then the fix for that is to delete and re-install Auria, then press the Restore Purchases button in the store. Make sure to backup your project first.

Rim

Tigermt

Post by Tigermt » Sat Dec 05, 2015 4:35 pm

Thanks Rim for your explanation. I do have another win-win solution that I was able to accomplish yesterday.
It took me 2 hours on the phone to Apple support but my goal was accomplished and I believe this is the most efficient way to resolve this issue. I know these facts around this issue;

• I bought (possibly) 4 plugins while owning Auria LE (more than 90 days ago)
• I upgraded to Auria and purchased 4 more plugins
• I missed the information to upgrade my current Auria to Auria Pro and purchased new Auria Pro
• I ran the Restore feature and all but 4 of the previous post mentioned plugins Restored

I am aware of the complexities you explained but the simplest way to make this work for me was to first go to Apple Store webpage and report an App Problem. I chose the option for stating the app (plugin showed purchased on the Apple webpage) did not load correctly. I was immediately Refunded the price and it listed the app (plugin) as Refunded on their accounting page. Two of the plugins were over 90 days old and their page indicated the need to call Apple Support. Although the phone call lasted 2 hours (had to escalate to Supervisor), I was able to explain that I had done in-app purchases for an app that was recently upgraded. They were able to see all my purchases (including those from the original LE version) and including the ones older than 90 days that I could not see from their Report a Problem webpage. They then refunded me the 2 plugins that I detailed. Now all plugins that were purchased with all combinations of older version Auria (LE) that were not Restoring properly (regardless of reason) were credited. I then ran Auria Pro (no need to run concurrent Auria) and purchased the “broken Restore” plugins and they are integrated in the Pro version now and everything is correct and working.

My logic tells me this is the most efficient way to do this and contrary to the complications with Apple and their Developers, this was simple and the results are ideal and win-win for Apple, the developer and myself. I did not have to deal with the troubleshooting aspects of Apple and the developer trying to figure out why some plugins Restored and others did not. Everybody got their money and I got the value I had paid for.

I think there seems to be some misunderstanding with some of the idiosyncrasies with Apple and their Developer restrictions and was able to get a solution by talking with Apple and their iTunes dept.

Thanks for your continued support commitment for your really great product. I can see where this could be complicated with all the nuances but this solution appears the most ethical and efficient with nobody being slighted on their products or service. It just amounts to policy and programming and ethics and expertise for both.

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Sat Dec 05, 2015 4:40 pm

Glad you were able to get it resolved!

Rim

Steve White
Expert

Post by Steve White » Sat Dec 05, 2015 5:21 pm

Thanks Rim

It does say Pro in the settings. Didn't get a chance to check it all out. I thought it came with some extra plug-ins but like I said I haven't really messed with it. Watching Django and then part 2 of Maze Runner.

Steve

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Sat Dec 05, 2015 5:26 pm

Auria Pro comes with Lyra (a sample player) with 4GB of downloadable content, and two FabFilter synths (Twin 2 and One). If these don't show up, reinstall Auria and then restore your purchases, and they will get installed properly at that point. Be sure to back up your projects first!

Rim

Steve White
Expert

Post by Steve White » Sat Dec 05, 2015 6:05 pm

Thanks Rim

They do show up but they are yellow and non clickable. So should I do what you said or?

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Sat Dec 05, 2015 6:14 pm

You'll need to delete Auria from your iPad the reinstall to solve this. Again, make sure you back up your projects! And after you're done, click the Restore Purchases button to get all your purchases back.

Rim

Steve White
Expert

Post by Steve White » Sat Dec 05, 2015 6:21 pm

Ok

Thank you :)

halfcack

Post by halfcack » Sun Dec 06, 2015 11:43 pm

Hi,

The upgrade took the beautiful interface away.

It started up and looked normal, then it turned an ugly gray.

Sorry if someone likes the gray.

I read the upgrade process, not logical. I'm upgraded to 2.00. Auria LE.

I was promised a reasonable upgrade path. I was afraid to do anything with three versions in the App Store. None of my previous work survived the upgrade.

This is on the apple pro 128 gig. Should I wait awhile until things settle. I read some posts and the faqs. Some posts have an incredible dollar amount upgrade path. I read the faq on how to do it but it doesn't seem apple.

I do have an iPad Air 2 with the old version, the beautiful board and hopefully all the songs. Suggestions?

Thank you.

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Mon Dec 07, 2015 6:36 am

Can you tell me about how you upgraded? Did you download a different version, or do you still have LE? There's no reason your projects should have disappeared, that is not at all normal.

Rim