Cpu overload message while recording 1 track

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

rodrorc51

Cpu overload message while recording 1 track

Post by rodrorc51 » Fri Nov 20, 2015 8:56 am

2 days ago i started getting cpu overload messages.

im running an ipad air with 32gig and a focusrite 18i20 interface.. while im using auria i turn all the other apps off and have it on airplane mode.

every weekend i got to my friends house where we practice and record 8 tracks at the same time, and the cpu maybe goes up to 20 or 30%. but since 2 days ago every project i start even with out me recording anything takes up the cpu to about 50% and as soon as i start recording 1 track it goes up to 80- 90%, If i try to add another track i get the cpu overload message. what also has me confused is that if i load a project that i recorded 2 weeks ago (8 tracks at the same time) the cpu looks normal, back down to 10 or 20%.. so it seems that the cpu problem started 2 days ago and it only affects new projects.

is it possible the auria app somehow got corrupted? should i delete it and install it again? or something else?

please help

richardyot
Expert

Re: Cpu overload message while recording 1 track

Post by richardyot » Fri Nov 20, 2015 9:08 am

It could the latency setting in the preferences, check that it's not set too low.

rodrorc51

Post by rodrorc51 » Fri Nov 20, 2015 9:17 am

richardyot wrote:It could the latency setting in the preferences, check that it's not set too low.

i did look at that, it was set to 256ish i did take it up to 1024 and it make a difference but not much the CPU went from 60% to about 55% .. the strange thing is that i looked at the setting of and old project (2 weeks ago) and its set at 256ish. and like i was saying, the old project has no problems with the CPU.

if i switch between projects the old ones dont have this problem but the new ones do.

thanks
rod

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Fri Nov 20, 2015 9:30 am

The latency setting in Auria has no effect unless you are recording (or have a track that's record enabled). The playback latency is what you need to watch out for. Normally Auria sets this to 4096, so the CPU usage is very low. But if you have another app running in the background, it's possible your latency will get lowered by that other app. So the best thing to do is to close all your apps including Auria, then open Auria first. This guarantees Auria gets to set the latency.

Also, disable Audiobus mode in Auria.

Rim

rodrorc51

Post by rodrorc51 » Fri Nov 20, 2015 9:44 am

Rim wrote:The latency setting in Auria has no effect unless you are recording (or have a track that's record enabled). The playback latency is what you need to watch out for. Normally Auria sets this to 4096, so the CPU usage is very low. But if you have another app running in the background, it's possible your latency will get lowered by that other app. So the best thing to do is to close all your apps including Auria, then open Auria first. This guarantees Auria gets to set the latency.

Also, disable Audiobus mode in Auria.

Rim

thanks Rim, i do have Bias amp running in the background, but i always turn auria first and then the guitar app i also have audiobus disabled. i've been able to record multiple tracks at the same time and have bias amp running in the background in the past with out a problem. but i even tried turning bias amp off and freeze tracks and the CPU still sits at about 60%.. do you think deleting the app and reinstalling it would help? im hopping reinstalling it would fix the problem

rod

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Fri Nov 20, 2015 9:50 am

OK, but just so it's clear, It's not a matter of "opening" one app then the other. You have to double-tap on the home button, slide up to kill both Bias and Auria, then launch Auria first, then Bias.

Rim

rodrorc51

Post by rodrorc51 » Fri Nov 20, 2015 9:56 am

Rim wrote:OK, but just so it's clear, It's not a matter of "opening" one app then the other. You have to double-tap on the home button, slide up to kill both Bias and Auria, then launch Auria first, then Bias.

Rim

that is correct, double click the home button and slide them up to kill them and start with auria. i also wanted to add, that before this started 2 days ago, i sometimes would have Bias running first and other apps like facebook, instagram, safari, and there was never a CPU problem.

rod

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Fri Nov 20, 2015 10:09 am

Are you only playing back, or are you trying to record as well?

Rim

rodrorc51

Post by rodrorc51 » Fri Nov 20, 2015 10:17 am

Rim wrote:Are you only playing back, or are you trying to record as well?

Rim

both, while i play back (only 1 track recorded at this point) its at about 60% cpu and if i try to record 1 track it overloads and it crashes.

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Fri Nov 20, 2015 11:02 am

It crashes? That sounds like something different. Can you tell me more about this crash? Normally when you get a CPU overload, you should get a message, which you can close and then resume your work.

It's normal to have much higher CPU usage when you record vs when you play back. I don't recommend using any effects when you're recording unless you're sure you have enough CPU. Look at it this way - the higher the buffer size, the lower the CPU. (Latency is the same thing as buffer size in this case FYI). So in order to minimize CPU usage you need to get your buffer size as high as you can. Auria uses two different settings for the buffer size. One for playback and one for recording. You can set the recording one in the settings, but you can't set the playback one. It's set to 4096, which is why you normally enjoy such low CPU. As soon as you go into recording mode, Auria switches to a much lower buffer size (whatever you have set in the settings). And this is when your CPU usage will go up.

So if you need to use your effects while recording, set the record buffer size higher (1024 or 2048). The only other issue to keep in mind is that many external apps don't like to switch buffer sizes, so you may have to close Bias and reopen it after you go into record mode, so that it can start using your new buffer size.

I hope this helps.
Rim

rodrorc51

Post by rodrorc51 » Fri Nov 20, 2015 11:22 am

Rim wrote:It crashes? That sounds like something different. Can you tell me more about this crash? Normally when you get a CPU overload, you should get a message, which you can close and then resume your work.

It's normal to have much higher CPU usage when you record vs when you play back. I don't recommend using any effects when you're recording unless you're sure you have enough CPU. Look at it this way - the higher the buffer size, the lower the CPU. (Latency is the same thing as buffer size in this case FYI). So in order to minimize CPU usage you need to get your buffer size as high as you can. Auria uses two different settings for the buffer size. One for playback and one for recording. You can set the recording one in the settings, but you can't set the playback one. It's set to 4096, which is why you normally enjoy such low CPU. As soon as you go into recording mode, Auria switches to a much lower buffer size (whatever you have set in the settings). And this is when your CPU usage will go up.

So if you need to use your effects while recording, set the record buffer size higher (1024 or 2048). The only other issue to keep in mind is that many external apps don't like to switch buffer sizes, so you may have to close Bias and reopen it after you go into record mode, so that it can start using your new buffer size.

I hope this helps.
Rim
sorry, what i meant by crashing is that i get the message that the CPU is overloaded and auria stops recording. and i do realize that the cpu goes up with recording and recording with FX because i've experienced this. in the past, i've been able to record 8 tracks at the same time and use FX while recording and the CPU would hang at around 50 - 60% while recording. but since 2 days ago it hangs at 50 - 60 as soon as i open the new project. . when i upload a old project the cpu goes back down to 5 -10%
do you think i should delete the app and reinstall it? im thinking it might be corrupted.

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Fri Nov 20, 2015 11:30 am

There's nothing that can "corrupt" an app. Only the projects themselves. So if you suspect you have a corrupted project, try a new one. If you're getting this even with new projects, I would suspect your other app (Bias, or whatever else you're using). If you're seeing more CPU than you did before when using an external app with Auria, and nothing else in Auria has changed, than it must be your other app. It's possible they did an upgrade which caused the CPU usage to go up. Or perhaps an iOS update?

Rim

rodrorc51

Post by rodrorc51 » Fri Nov 20, 2015 11:55 am

Rim wrote:There's nothing that can "corrupt" an app. Only the projects themselves. So if you suspect you have a corrupted project, try a new one. If you're getting this even with new projects, I would suspect your other app (Bias, or whatever else you're using). If you're seeing more CPU than you did before when using an external app with Auria, and nothing else in Auria has changed, than it must be your other app. It's possible they did an upgrade which caused the CPU usage to go up. Or perhaps an iOS update?

Rim

i did try starting new projects, 3 different times and its the same thing, i also tried killing the bias app and/or freezing it with very little effect. please note that i can upload a old project that has 8 tracks with FX, EQ and Bias on 1 of the tracks and there is no problems with the CPU. and yes the Ipad is up to date with the newest IOS.
also note that as soon as i open a new project and at this point there is no FX or tracks recorded the cpu hangs at around 50%
if i delete the app en reinstall it will i have to pay for it again?

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Fri Nov 20, 2015 12:12 pm

Apple never changes you twice for something you already bought. Other things to check: Make sure you don't have 64 bit mixer mode enabled in the settings. Kill all your background apps and start Auria with a new project. It shouldn''t be using 50% on an Air 2. If it is, try rebooting your iPad.

Rim

rodrorc51

Post by rodrorc51 » Fri Nov 20, 2015 12:20 pm

Rim wrote:Apple never changes you twice for something you already bought. Other things to check: Make sure you don't have 64 bit mixer mode enabled in the settings. Kill all your background apps and start Auria with a new project. It shouldn''t be using 50% on an Air 2. If it is, try rebooting your iPad.

Rim

ok, i will try those things and let you know how it goes.
thanks for all your help.

rod