OS 9

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

mididrum
Expert

OS 9

Post by mididrum » Tue Sep 22, 2015 2:01 pm

don't update to OS 9
it's USELESS for music since almost NO APP ( nor synth) having several pages let you slide them
Processing power gets sucked by video needs, many IAA don't insert, match, Audiobus is a mess, Worst since its last UPDATE !
Many app unboot and get rejected, too many question/answer confirmations are needed at sliding Apps/screen
Pity...my ipad Air 2 works worst than the iPad 4 with Os 8....!
WIFI remote ( beringher air) turns sluggish and slow...
At september (09!) Apple Demo show ...no one was able to show any interest at Musicians APPS...the best of OS 8.4 ....
PITY, i lost Auria USUAL SAFETY, NEEDING TO reboot Auria more than ever..i go back to PC !!!!

mtingle
Expert

Re: OS 9

Post by mtingle » Tue Sep 22, 2015 3:28 pm

yeah, people with a bit of experience have learnt the hard way not to update till a couple of iOS update iterations, about 9.1 (December-ish) is regarded as safe.

JRSIV
Expert

Post by JRSIV » Tue Sep 22, 2015 11:04 pm

Absolutely, waiting on any mobile OS is just mandatory and hard learned common sense these days.
I jumped on the smartphone era pretty early and got a T-Mobile MyTouch 3G Fender Edition (late '09 or '10 I believe). I got the notification for the OTA update for the newer Android OS and figured why not? Newer OS, more features, etc. right? Wrong. It bricked the phone, made it the coolest paperweight I own...

Since just getting into Apple iPads this year in April with an Air 2 my wife gifted me I was cautious updating at all. It came with iOS 8.1 I believe and I waited for several weeks before upgrading to any of the updates. The 8.2 and 8.3 were fairly innocuous and changed nothing performance wise and for the 8.4 Apple Music update I really hemmed and hawed.

I finally updated after reading for several weeks that it made no changes except to the Music app (I don't use it often but the newer changes are pretty much mandatory if you want to have a smooth time in the future playing MP3s etc.) I did not update to the 8.4.1 update as there are bugs in it that will effect us music makers and they haven't really been addressed with iOS 9 I hear.

I will probably keep my iPad on 8.4 like it is for the foreseeable future (maybe for good.) One thing to remember is that all OS's, especially Apples mobile OS, are built to the specs of the most current devices on the market. The R&D goes to new features and making the new devices às stout as possible. I feel that backwards compatibility with older devices is treated as an afterthought. Too many anecdotes and stories I have seen personally that show it clearly happens.

Some improvement can be had depending on device and OS, like battery life increase and of course more features. For me though my iPad is running really well, the battery life is fine (one more hour isn't a gamechanger to me) and most importantly the apps I have spent quite literally hundreds of dollars on are working fine. If those apps themselves update and change and require the newer OS that's when I feel an OS update should be considered. Using an older version of an app isn't bad either, unless the new one offers so much more that updating the device OS and apps are worth those features.

OS's and apps can be a huge pain if they don't work and especially if going back to the previous versions is difficult or impossible (which after a few weeks is inexplicably the case with Apple iOS).

Patience and research are mandatory in this day and age when upgrades and updates are involved.
JRSIV's Studio V uses Auria Pro v2.33 on an iPad Air 5 (2022) 256GB w/iPadOS 16.3
Other gear includes: Tascam US-2x2 interface, Behringer UMC404HD interface, TC Electronics SOLO, Sony MDR-7506 headphones

thinds
Expert

Post by thinds » Wed Sep 23, 2015 12:35 am

Well, as an early adopter of every iOS, I have to say that the move to 9 has been excellent so far. I have experienced zero issues and would fully recommend a move up from 8.x.x

Morgan
Expert

Post by Morgan » Wed Sep 23, 2015 5:00 am

I have to admit to being a little inpatient and went ahead with the upgrade to OS9. Oh dear not a good decision. Auria works fine standalone but fails to work when included in the chain within Audiobus despite this app receiving the latest update. IAA works to a point but when in recording mode various pops and crackles are generated interfering with the recording process. I will delve into it further and wait for more feedback from other users but as a suggestion, anyone considering upgrading at this point should re-consider. Looks like another PR shambles for Apple. RIM, if only you could port this application to another platform. I would move tomorrow if that was the case.

supanorton
Expert

Post by supanorton » Wed Sep 23, 2015 6:35 am

Auria hasn't been updated to the latest AudioBus SDK.

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Wed Sep 23, 2015 6:51 am

Yes, and unfortunately it's looking like it would take me longer to update the current Auria than to finish Auria 2.0 and get it released. The main issue is the current Auria codebase is 32 bit and Apple no longer allows 32 bit apps to be submitted. So to convert the current Auria version to 64 bit would take some time. Auria 2.0 ( and Auria Pro) is of course fully 64 bit.

The workaround is to use the IAA version of whatever audio app you're interested in.

Rim

martygras
Expert

Post by martygras » Wed Sep 23, 2015 10:27 am

Agreed. (and oh my what a conundrum)

In general though, I'm having little to no problems with iOS 9 and Auria.

To be a bit more clear, my workflow is more of a traditional use of a DAW. I record a combination of voice, real instruments, external midi keyboards and drums, and mix accordingly. So I probably am not using Audiobus as much, or in the same way as the rest of y'all.

The good news is I am always affected less by these updates than many others who work primarily in Audiobus.
Marty Schulte [I'm a drummer. So, there's that.]
iPad AIR(128), Akai EIE, Akai EWI USB, illudium q-36 explosive space modulator
Head First Audio (live sound for Southern Oregon, USA)

martygras
Expert

Post by martygras » Wed Sep 23, 2015 10:38 am

mididrum wrote:don't update to OS 9
it's USELESS for music since almost NO APP ( nor synth) having several pages let you slide them
Processing power gets sucked by video needs, many IAA don't insert, match, Audiobus is a mess, Worst since its last UPDATE !
Many app unboot and get rejected, too many question/answer confirmations are needed at sliding Apps/screen
Pity...my ipad Air 2 works worst than the iPad 4 with Os 8....!
WIFI remote ( beringher air) turns sluggish and slow...
At september (09!) Apple Demo show ...no one was able to show any interest at Musicians APPS...the best of OS 8.4 ....
PITY, i lost Auria USUAL SAFETY, NEEDING TO reboot Auria more than ever..i go back to PC !!!!
Sorry to see you go. Good luck in you musical endeavors.

Gary
Expert

Post by Gary » Wed Sep 23, 2015 12:56 pm

I managed to downgrade to 8.4.1 from 9 and everything runs as it used to. Did this for Air 2 and mini. Here is the link I used to do this (video). Follow the instructions, but if your going to do it ... Do it soon before Apple stops signing 8.4.1

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ZxLPJ4ycdeY

Morgan
Expert

Post by Morgan » Wed Sep 23, 2015 4:32 pm

RIM if Auria 2.0 is simply the current version updated to 64 bit with a new face and without the new features, would there be some merit in the Beta Team expediting the testing on this version ahead of the all singing and dancing version of Auria Pro. This might be what you are already planning. Just a thought.

martygras
Expert

Post by martygras » Wed Sep 23, 2015 5:29 pm

@Rim

See post above. :)

martygras
Expert

Post by martygras » Wed Sep 23, 2015 5:36 pm

Yeah, additional, uh, beta tester's could be used. :?

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Wed Sep 23, 2015 6:39 pm

Well I suppose the cat's out of the bag now... Actually, since the two versions share a common codebase, testing pro is just as effective as testing Auria 2.0 by itself.

Rim