Crackle noise - Buffer/RAM issue?

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

timmyg
Expert

Crackle noise - Buffer/RAM issue?

Post by timmyg » Mon Aug 17, 2015 5:30 am

I am experiencing a crackling noise on songs when recording vocals (via a condensor mic using phantom power).

The noise seems to come in after around 2 mins most of the time and progressively gets worse. Restarting Auria always works but the noise comes back 2 mins later. It is also worth noting that it's present in the recorded audio.

I've tried turning off FX when recording & muting unnecessary tracks I don't need to hear but it still happens. It's happening on songs with around 40 tracks or more (haven't tried songs with less than 40 tracks). All other apps are shut and I've increased the Buffer size to large.

How can I get rid of this issue as it's making vocal & acoustic guitar recording impossible?

Rim
Site Admin

Re: Crackle noise - Buffer/RAM issue?

Post by Rim » Mon Aug 17, 2015 7:19 am

Which iPad model do you own? If it's an iPad 2, 3 or original Mini, it might be a well-known issue with those models and USB interfaces.

Rim

timmyg
Expert

Post by timmyg » Tue Aug 18, 2015 8:00 am

Hi Rim,

It's an iPad 2 using a Focusrite iTrack Solo. I'm using Auria 1.155.

I'm not upgrading my iPad to iOS 8 & latest Auria until my albums finished which is only a matter of weeks away. This is due to major compatibility issues with audio interfaces in the past which cost me time & money!

It's strange this has only just started happening when I've using this set up since the iTrack came to market with no problems?

timmyg
Expert

Post by timmyg » Wed Aug 19, 2015 6:38 am

Rim wrote:Which iPad model do you own? If it's an iPad 2, 3 or original Mini, it might be a well-known issue with those models and USB interfaces.

Rim
Hey Rim, any thoughts on my previous answer?

thanks

martygras
Expert

Post by martygras » Wed Aug 19, 2015 10:37 am

Have you tried rendering just that track with its effects, by itself to see what the result sounds like? Sometimes a bus can start pushing towards zero dB, but usually what you describe starts earlier in the recording chain.
Marty Schulte [I'm a drummer. So, there's that.]
iPad AIR(128), Akai EIE, Akai EWI USB, illudium q-36 explosive space modulator
Head First Audio (live sound for Southern Oregon, USA)

timmyg
Expert

Post by timmyg » Thu Aug 20, 2015 10:32 am

martygras wrote:Have you tried rendering just that track with its effects, by itself to see what the result sounds like? Sometimes a bus can start pushing towards zero dB, but usually what you describe starts earlier in the recording chain.
That's not the problem, I render my mixes all the time and they don't have any issues. Also this happening on multiple songs. On the latest vocal recording, the signal was registering relatively low. It's not a clipping issue.

Still waiting to hear back from Rim.

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Thu Aug 20, 2015 3:12 pm

This is an issue that affects all iPad 2, 3 and Original Mini models. Unfortunately it's not something that can be fixed, as it's a hardware issue in the iPad itself. Apple fixed this starting with the iPad 4 and later models. The issue happens when an app makes large memory transfers while using a USB interface. Even doing something as simple as copying a large file or using an app in retina mode can cause this to happen. It's relatively rare, which is why you probably haven't experienced it before. If you reboot your iPad, then create a new project with only a couple of tracks, I'll bet you won't see the issue in that project.

I've found that if you go into Auria's settings and do two things, it will help minimize the chances of seeing this issue:

1. Set the record latency to 4096
2. Disable USB Soft Start mode

Hope this helps.
Rim

timmyg
Expert

Post by timmyg » Tue Aug 25, 2015 8:22 am

Rim wrote:This is an issue that affects all iPad 2, 3 and Original Mini models. Unfortunately it's not something that can be fixed, as it's a hardware issue in the iPad itself. Apple fixed this starting with the iPad 4 and later models. The issue happens when an app makes large memory transfers while using a USB interface. Even doing something as simple as copying a large file or using an app in retina mode can cause this to happen. It's relatively rare, which is why you probably haven't experienced it before. If you reboot your iPad, then create a new project with only a couple of tracks, I'll bet you won't see the issue in that project.

I've found that if you go into Auria's settings and do two things, it will help minimize the chances of seeing this issue:

1. Set the record latency to 4096
2. Disable USB Soft Start mode

Hope this helps.
Rim
Thanks for the help Rim. I'll try your suggestion this evening.

I guess if it's still a problem, as I only have 2 songs to record backing vocals on I could bounce the songs down, open a new project with the stereo bounce and then record the vocals. Once edited, import them back as wav's into the original project for mixing along with everything else.