Importing audio files?

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

tonydean
Expert

Importing audio files?

Post by tonydean » Tue Jul 07, 2015 12:26 am

Hi guys. I want to know something I find interesting. I start a new project, then import an audio file, an .mp3 file with a bit rate of 320kbs. Around about 7-10 meg in size, however, when it is imported onto a track in Auria, it becomes a .wav file of about 45-50 meg! Please tell me why this is happening, as my projects are becoming nearly 1 gig in size and it's hurting my storage as I've only got a 32 gig iPad Air!

Thanks guys for any future replies!
iPad Air 2 128 gig wifi, iOS 11.4, Auria 2.0. Focusrite itrack dock. iFretless Bass, iRig Pro, Rode NT2-A recording mic, Takamine G-Series AC Gtr. Cole Clark Angel 2 Bunya/Blackwood acoustic.

Anthony Alves
Expert

Re: Importing audio files?

Post by Anthony Alves » Tue Jul 07, 2015 1:35 am

Auria works with uncompressed wav files. Auria will convert the M4a compressed file into a wav file that matches your project. As far as I know Auria does not convert Mp3 files so as a result they play at a different speed so if your audio sounds correct you must be importing an audio file other than an mp3. To help reduce disk space usage you can delete any audio that was imported into the project as Auria makes a copy of that audio once it's imported. You can often find these duplicates in the INBOX or in the project your working on there may be multiple takes that are taking up disk space. Remove these by closing that project and loading another then delete the duplicate tracks but be careful not to delete the tracks you actually need to keep. Good take naming is key here. You can also Condense all Regions to reduce unwanted or unused audio but not if those regions have alot of editing in which case condensing those regions could make things worse and actually can use up even more disk space. Cheers and hope this helped. ~~_/)~~~*

tonydean
Expert

Post by tonydean » Tue Jul 07, 2015 6:02 pm

Hi Anthony,
Thanks for your help. It is definitely an mp3 file that I'm importing.
iPad Air 2 128 gig wifi, iOS 11.4, Auria 2.0. Focusrite itrack dock. iFretless Bass, iRig Pro, Rode NT2-A recording mic, Takamine G-Series AC Gtr. Cole Clark Angel 2 Bunya/Blackwood acoustic.

Anthony Alves
Expert

Post by Anthony Alves » Wed Jul 08, 2015 8:17 am

Sorry my mistake. Auria will convert mp3 to wav files but not their sample rate that is when the mp3 will play at a different speed. In your problem it is simply that the small mp3 files are being turned into wav which is 10meg for every minute of audio. Sorry for any confusion. Cheers.~~_/)~~~*

wigglelights
Expert

Post by wigglelights » Wed Jul 08, 2015 8:21 am

Hi Tony
Anthony is correct, and this will be the case for any of the iOS DAWs. I use a crude estimation of 10M a minute for a stereo file (mono is 1/2 that). So a 4 minute song with 20 tracks gets pretty big!

He is also correct about the duplicate files, and needing to manage them.But be really careful! I strongly recommend getting into regular backups of your iTunes/Auria folder to a computer. I use iFunBox for this - it's a bit faster for dragging folders to a backup location (and back), plus I can manage and clear out unused projects and files on the ipad directly in an explorer-like window. In general, I've got it to where just a couple of current projects are on the ipad, and the rest stored on my laptop.
And, having backups has saved me a couple of times - in both Auria and Cubasis I've had a severe crash that trashed projects - and having something a few days old was much better than starting from scratch.
Also, in the Settings Menu/General, there is a Project Auto Cleanup box. Default is off - and as I understand it, turning that on, and closing Auria, will delete any unused takes/files hanging out in the project folder. I only use this after I've made a backup, and a project is at a place I'm happy with (i.e. after punching in 30 times I got the bass track right :shock: ) - then I'll check it, close Auria, restart it and open the project, and then turn it off again. It does help, but is 100% destructive!!!! *However, and I would need an adult to confirm this, this operation doesn't touch the Inbox, only projects. So keeping that clean is up to you.

HTH!

Marcel
Expert

Post by Marcel » Thu Jul 09, 2015 10:33 pm

Is it safe to delete all the files in the inbox?

I want to clean up Auria, but I know it is delicate to delete files, cause once gone, always gone (unless you have a backup on PC). The above question is important to me. I understand that in a project there is every file that you need for that project, so I think it is safe to delete all files in the inbox, but I am not shure.

Anthony Alves
Expert

Post by Anthony Alves » Sun Jul 12, 2015 1:54 pm

Yes it is safe to delete your inbox files if you have already imported them into a project as Auria makes a copy of that audio so that the original is still safe in case you need it again. Once your certain that all the tracks are indeed in the project you may now clean up your inbox. I clean mine after every import so as not to have a long list that may confuse me as to what tracks they are. The good thing is that all your audio has a time stamp on them so you can recall the day and time that the audio was received at the inbox. Cheers and hope that helped.

Marcel
Expert

Post by Marcel » Tue Jul 14, 2015 7:46 pm

Thanks!