Same Effect insert on multiple tracks

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

webbmeister

Same Effect insert on multiple tracks

Post by webbmeister » Fri Jun 26, 2015 12:21 pm

Newbie question
If I use bias effects/amp as a Fx insert on track one to at record a clean guitar part, can I user the bias again on track2 to record a guitar solo or do I need to render track one down first
Cheers

GuntharBecker
Expert

Re: Same Effect insert on multiple tracks

Post by GuntharBecker » Fri Jun 26, 2015 2:26 pm

Bouncing the track down as you said would work. But, you would be better off freezing the track, then putting another instance of Bias in the IAA slot on your 2nd track. This way if you want to change your settings in Bias after the fact, you would merely unfreeze the track and make said changes.

That said, it's totally personal preference. What ever way suits you Is the best way. 8)
iPad Air 2 64, Scarlett 18i8, Auria, etc.

webbmeister

Post by webbmeister » Fri Jun 26, 2015 5:24 pm

Thanks for the response. Another question. Where are the settings for the plug in inserts stored. Does auria keep track of these

martygras
Expert

Post by martygras » Fri Jun 26, 2015 6:05 pm

GuntharBecker wrote:Bouncing the track down as you said would work. But, you would be better off freezing the track, then putting another instance of Bias in the IAA slot on your 2nd track. This way if you want to change your settings in Bias after the fact, you would merely unfreeze the track and make said changes.

That said, it's totally personal preference. What ever way suits you Is the best way. 8)
Does that work? I was worried unfreezing one track while an IAA instrument was active on another track would crash. I gotta stop being afraid to try things.
Marty Schulte [I'm a drummer. So, there's that.]
iPad AIR(128), Akai EIE, Akai EWI USB, illudium q-36 explosive space modulator
Head First Audio (live sound for Southern Oregon, USA)

GuntharBecker
Expert

Post by GuntharBecker » Sun Jun 28, 2015 3:27 pm

Gonna eat some serious crow here... :oops:

It would,in fact, not work, due to the fact that you can't have more than one instance of the same IAA app in a session. I guess technically you could, but you'd have to share the same settings in each instance where you've inserted the effect.

I guess I'm still drawing too many parallels between my desktop based production and what is possible on iOS and gave a really dumb suggestion without putting said suggestion into practice myself. Yikes! :oops: :shock: :oops: Thankfully Marty's post got the hamster that is my brain to start running in his wheel (albeit, very slowly).

You could record with effects off (done under settings), and then take the dry guitar tracks and run them through Bias/Tonestack/etc. Solo the track you're working on and then bounce it down into your session. If you're not happy with the tone you got, you could always go back and re-tweak since still have your dry guitar tracks...

You'd have to make a preset in Bias if you want to save your settings. I don't think Auria saves your IAA apps settings, at least not for third party apps like Bias.

rickwaugh
Expert

Post by rickwaugh » Mon Jun 29, 2015 9:32 am

Hmm, I'm confused. Can you not put the same plugin on multiple tracks, and have it set differently? I was just experimenting with Timeless, and set different settings on two different tracks, opened another project, went back to the first one, and the settings had stayed as they were on each track. Which is how I assumed it work.

Or is that not using IAA in the background?

GuntharBecker
Expert

Post by GuntharBecker » Mon Jun 29, 2015 11:32 am

It seems that all the included and IAP plug-ins for Auria will, indeed, allow multiple instances. :shock:

But I've tried using apps like bias or auxfx's peakq and push on multiple IAA slots and gotten the result I described above; had to use the same settings for two separate tracks. And who wants that?

Is there a workaround for this? If so, please someone enlighten me because I'm becoming more confused with each reply to this thread. :lol:

martygras
Expert

Post by martygras » Mon Jun 29, 2015 11:41 am

Each IAA instrument or effect would have to be unloaded before another can be used. I guess I write effects to the track earlier in the process. Usually right after cleaning up the track for background noises etc.
Marty Schulte [I'm a drummer. So, there's that.]
iPad AIR(128), Akai EIE, Akai EWI USB, illudium q-36 explosive space modulator
Head First Audio (live sound for Southern Oregon, USA)