Navigation impossible

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

Nenox
Expert

Navigation impossible

Post by Nenox » Sat May 16, 2015 2:20 pm

Hi,

I love Auria, but I'm finding arrange window navigation and part manipulation neigh impossible. This unfortunately makes me start projects in Cubasis instead, despite Auria being the better package in so many ways.

I did not find anything written about this, am I the only one that has this problem? I have no such issues with any other Ipad application. Note that i have steady hands, am fairly young and use too many apps for too many hours of the week :-)

I'm on the latest version of auria, ipad air 2 and ios 8.3.

Cheers,
Sune

King
Expert

Re: Navigation impossible

Post by King » Sat May 16, 2015 3:16 pm

Nenox wrote:... but I'm finding arrange window navigation and part manipulation neigh impossible.

Hey @Nenox, can you go into some more detail?...

Then we may be able to help and show short-cuts, and tips n tricks!
_____________________________1 Luv_____________________________

_____________________________King____________________________

mtingle
Expert

Post by mtingle » Sat May 16, 2015 3:53 pm

i find the arrange window and region manipulation superior to Logic. I think maybe there's a few tools yet to be discovered. If you give some more details what your trying to do (specific example) we can try and help.

Nenox
Expert

Post by Nenox » Sun May 17, 2015 12:21 am

Yeah, sorry, bad explanation.

It's mainly that auria seems much too sensitive om the finger positioning. This means the application mostly thinks I'm trying to do something other than I intend. For unstance trying to time stretch a part, is a process that invloves trying maybe 10 times before I'll actually get Auria to timestretch.

Like I've mentioned, I'm a pad-a-holic and never had issues like this in other apps. And it's only an arranger window issue.

Thanks!

King
Expert

Post by King » Sun May 17, 2015 12:50 am

Nenox wrote:... For unstance trying to time stretch a part, is a process that invloves trying maybe 10 times before I'll actually get Auria to timestretch.
I'm still reading between the lines here, not sure of your process, to find your issue. : )

But a tip is, once you have dragged/stretched the region to length/point you want it (using your 2 fingers), you should then release the right finger before the left one.
That how I do it, works for me every time..

Nenox
Expert

Post by Nenox » Sun May 17, 2015 2:58 am

Many thanks for the answers!

TBH I haven't used Auria for any recording or arranging in a while, because of the usability issues experienced (For all Cubasis faults, interaction is not one of them). For me it's been so obvious that I thought others would recognise it without more specifics. I'll need to find time to do arranger window work and get back to you.

Cheers

Nenox
Expert

Post by Nenox » Sun May 17, 2015 3:17 am

My girls went shopping, so here are some quick examples:

Using two fingers on the end of a part (repeat or time scale), most of the time results in something i do not want. Like changing the length of the part, zooming the window or a selection (the thing with the sissor icon).

When having a selection (the thing with the sissor icon), I'll often need to press many times in empty space to get rid of it.

In the middle of two fingers on the top edge of the arranger window to scrub time, my in and out points change.

And so on.

Washboy
Expert

Post by Washboy » Sun May 17, 2015 5:46 am

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Sun May 17, 2015 6:34 am

To get rid of a highlight, just double-tap again anywhere. Double-tapping creates a highlight, and also removes it.

Some things to keep in mind when using the handles:

- Start out by touching the handle, then hold your finger there and wait until you see the arrow appear. This indicates that Auria is in handle drag mode.

- Once you're in that mode, if you want to enter time stretch mode, just add a second finger. Now you should see the time stretch icon appear.

- Remember not to add the second finger until you're already in handle drag mode.

Rim

King
Expert

Post by King » Sun May 17, 2015 6:52 am

Yes, if you still have issues with the Stretch feature do check out the post by @Washboy!

Regarding the 'sissors icon', this is what you have highlighted. It's highlighting that specific part of the regions for editing, such as gain, silence and other features in the process And edit menu's..
To get rid, all you need to do is doubltap on a empty space or even on the region itself.

If your 'in and out points' (looped area) disappear, for what ever reason, you can simply press undo, and they will be back. You must be tapping with 1 finger on the timeline for it to disappear, scrubbing needs 2 fingers simultaneously.

It's seems you need to practice using Auria with a 'Test Project' to get used to it before making these edits to a project for real.

I must add: For me Cubasis was/is awful! ( for editing etc) The main reason is the zooming is totally off. At least with Auria the zoom stays focused between my fingers. Not zoom and scroll, zoom and scroll. I deleted the (not cheap app) don't know if they have fixed that, they must know it is off.

Once you know Auria's ways, it's a doddle! :)

Added: nice one @Rim we are on the case at the same time. ;)
Last edited by King on Sun May 17, 2015 7:04 am, edited 2 times in total.

Washboy
Expert

Post by Washboy » Sun May 17, 2015 6:58 am

Re audio scrubbing: if you tap on one of your locators and drag it (before you've placed your 2nd finger on the timeline), obviously it will be moved along with your finger. Just avoid placing your 1st finger on a locator :wink:

@Rim: Would it be a simple task to make it so that, if a finger is already on the timeline, touching another finger to the left if it does not make the cursor jump to the 2nd finger's position and auto play from there? I tend to use one finger of each hand when scrubbing and I'm right-handed. Naturally, the 1st finger that I touch to the timeline is with my right hand and I touch at the point at which I wish to scrub and to control the scrub. Are you left-handed, by any chance? It already works just fine if you're left handed! :wink: :lol:

Washboy
Expert

Post by Washboy » Sun May 17, 2015 7:15 am

More tips, re audio scrubbing: It's worth knowing that only the 1st (first to touch) of two fingers needs to be on the timeline. The 2nd can be elsewhere in the regions area of the screen, so you don't need to contort yourself, trying to place both fingers precisely on the timeline. In fact, once you've placed the 1st finger on the timeline, you can drag that finger downward and continue the process with your fingers clear of the timeline. 8)

King
Expert

Post by King » Sun May 17, 2015 7:19 am

Washboy wrote: Are you left-handed, by any chance? It already works just fine if you're left handed! :wink: :lol:

Good point!

Thing also to remember then, is, to remove the first finger first, not necessarily the right one, depends where you place your second finger, (To the left or right of the first).
Place fingers one by one.
In Auria just take such edits slow, Auria needs to make sure of what it is you would like to do, some things take a second to initiate.

Hope that make sense!

King
Expert

Post by King » Sun May 17, 2015 7:25 am

Good points @Washboy, my explanation was concerning the 'Audio Scrubbing' for that you need two fingers one on the time line. To just move the cursor, you only need 1.
:D

We are saying same things here and writing at the same time. Must be the UK time of day lol

Washboy
Expert

Post by Washboy » Sun May 17, 2015 7:31 am

King wrote: In Auria just take such edits slow, Auria needs to make sure of what it is you would like to do, some things take a second to initiate.
A very good point/tip/hint, especially for new users of Auria :)

Edit: And, as you said earlier, "Once you know Auria's ways, it's a doddle!" - and fast too! :D