Latency redux

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

rickwaugh
Expert

Latency redux

Post by rickwaugh » Mon May 11, 2015 10:23 pm

There are times when I'm baffled by this environment. Brand new iPad air 2, 64 gig. Tried last night to run my strat without modeling, to test out just using effects in auria, and as I said elsewhere, ran into ridiculous latency. I'm using an irig pro, never had latency issues with it. Changed the latency setting in auria, did nothing. Rebooted the iPad, nothing. Played with audiobus settings, buffer sizes. Nothing. Came home today, tried it with audiobus, with the input set to the microphone. Took a couple of plugginga and unpluggings to get it to come through the irig, but it did, and bang, no latency. Then took out audiobus, ran it straight, and again, no latency, exactly as I wanted it.

I don't know if I was doing something odd, or there are just quirks. I'm thinking last night was an iPad thing, not auria, as nothing in auria helped. Anyone else run into this kind of thing?

Johow
Expert

Re: Latency redux

Post by Johow » Mon May 11, 2015 10:43 pm

Are you making sure all you background apps are closed? I have had similar happenings as well but usually when I need the best performance such as recording my guitar thru say Tonestack into Auria, I clean up everything in the background and I get pretty good timing.
Air2 128GB, Auria Pro, Loopy, various apps in my collection. Assorted microphones, old m-audio mini keyboard, home made E-drum set, can of rocks, a bunch of home made acoustic and electric guitars, Basses, mandolins and guitjos, +other noise making toys.

rickwaugh
Expert

Post by rickwaugh » Mon May 11, 2015 10:51 pm

No, I do. I must say, with the air, I get the warnings a lot less than I did on the iPad 3. Sometimes I wonder if there aren't residual processes left running at times. Sometimes I get nothing from the input, and then it starts. Annoying.

Johow
Expert

Post by Johow » Mon May 11, 2015 11:49 pm

I think, think is a generic annoyance that we may just have to put up with for a while in ios. Hopefully not forever. I'm sure we had the same sort of issues with early desktop systems. My first desktop recording system was early cakewalk on windows and while I don't remember a lot about using that, I only got a few things done in it before kinda giving up and waiting for something else. That something else came after apple took over Logic. Then my apple drive crashed and when I fixed it I had upgraded the OS to a version no longer compatible with the logic Version I had. So next thing ios and we're still waiting and fighting....but the possibilities are endless!
Air2 128GB, Auria Pro, Loopy, various apps in my collection. Assorted microphones, old m-audio mini keyboard, home made E-drum set, can of rocks, a bunch of home made acoustic and electric guitars, Basses, mandolins and guitjos, +other noise making toys.

richardyot
Expert

Post by richardyot » Tue May 12, 2015 3:43 am

On iOS latency is set by the first music app you open, so it's really important to close all background apps and restart Auria before recording.

rickwaugh
Expert

Post by rickwaugh » Tue May 12, 2015 8:20 am

richardyot wrote:On iOS latency is set by the first music app you open, so it's really important to close all background apps and restart Auria before recording.
Now that's a nice bit of knowledge to have. It had to be something like that. But I did do that, killed everything and started over.

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Tue May 12, 2015 8:38 am

Another thing to keep in mind is that Auria uses a very large buffer size by default when in playback mode (4096). The latency only changes to the setting you chose in the settings page when you arm a track for recording (or actually record).

If you want the latency in Auria to remain low all the time, turn on Audiobus mode in the settings. This forces Auria to always use a 512 sample buffer. This will increase CPU usage however, and that's the main reason why Auria uses uses 4096 by default.

Rim

rickwaugh
Expert

Post by rickwaugh » Tue May 12, 2015 11:19 am

Tx Rim.

martygras
Expert

Post by martygras » Wed May 13, 2015 10:13 am

richardyot wrote:On iOS latency is set by the first music app you open, so it's really important to close all background apps and restart Auria before recording.
"On iOS latency is set by the first music app you open"

...in most cases.
I believe there are still a few apps that fight against some of the lowest latency settings when started second or third. I've probably deleted any that did that for too long.

There's also a thread over at Audiobus forums talking about regaining RAM by turning off "push" notifications. Apparently rebooting did not release the RAM used by that utility.
Marty Schulte [I'm a drummer. So, there's that.]
iPad AIR(128), Akai EIE, Akai EWI USB, illudium q-36 explosive space modulator
Head First Audio (live sound for Southern Oregon, USA)