Mastering

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

rickwaugh
Expert

Mastering

Post by rickwaugh » Sat Mar 28, 2015 12:33 pm

Went to a seminar on mixing, then another on mastering. Not that I'm going to become an expert, but it was interesting getting the explanation on the differences. Given the process that they explained, they get the initial mix completed down to a stereo track, then take that track and reload into a daw, where they apply more compressors/filters/eq to the overall mix...

What do people here do? Do you reload the output from an Auria mix into Auria, or something else? Could you not simple get your mix the way you want, then send everything to a single subgroup, and master through that?

I'm going to go back to an old project and see what I can do with it. PIcked up another compress and filter from the store, to muck with.

rickwaugh
Expert

Re: Mastering

Post by rickwaugh » Sat Mar 28, 2015 1:08 pm

I guess just adding the stack of filters/compressors on the master bus is the same as using a subgroup. Interesting experiment. Going to take some more practice. But I like the stuff I picked up today for filters, it added a lot of presence to the mix.

supanorton
Expert

Post by supanorton » Sat Mar 28, 2015 7:39 pm

rickwaugh wrote:I guess just adding the stack of filters/compressors on the master bus is the same as using a subgroup. Interesting experiment. Going to take some more practice. But I like the stuff I picked up today for filters, it added a lot of presence to the mix.
Which did you get?

rickwaugh
Expert

Post by rickwaugh » Sat Mar 28, 2015 11:55 pm

Pro-Q, FXPansion BusComp bus compressor, and FXPansion EnvShaper. Much playing to do, but I really like what happened to my mix.

supanorton
Expert

Post by supanorton » Sun Mar 29, 2015 6:30 am

Pro Q is really quite good. I don't have the FXPansion envelope filter. I have their channel comp, which I really like for vocals. I also have their BusComp, but haven't used it very much. I'll have to give it another go.

pitzipado
Expert

Post by pitzipado » Sun Mar 29, 2015 9:42 am

I would highly recommend the Fabfilter Pro L. I didn't get it until the big sale in Dec '13- with hindsight
sharpened by hearing (and seeing) what it does I wished I had bought it right off the bat despite the price.
Along with the Pro Q it can enhance a mix in very subtle pleasing ways(IMHO) Lots of handy presets
and a great GUI with different metering styles/ranges. Great fun! Several demos/tutorials are floating
around the Ubiquitous Tube
best in your quest for the good sounds
jp

rickwaugh
Expert

Post by rickwaugh » Sun Mar 29, 2015 2:18 pm

It looks nice. Pricy. Hmm, hmm. I like the metering options. Listening to the seminars, it became apparent that the visual cues can be as important as the aural.

As far as subtle, that's one of the big things I got from the seminars. Stuff happens that you would not think could happen at all, and it's all just touches. But that is really what seperates a great sound from a blah one.

Bob Amser
Expert

Post by Bob Amser » Tue Mar 31, 2015 4:31 pm

I use Audio Mastering by iMusic Album. Helps me greatly to have a separate stage of getting the best possible sound through mixing, then trying to perfect the final effect with MINOR adjustments. Didn't cost much, and I found the presets are a useful starting point for the newbie...

Auria, iTrack Solo, AKG414, Audio Mastering

H4lfdevil

Post by H4lfdevil » Wed Apr 01, 2015 3:57 am

Because I am just learning this stuff as I got along I have a bit of a haphazard approach to this.

I bought final touch because I read the presets are really good. I have absolutely no wish to be a mastering engineer. I have friends who are prefessional engineers who can do that for me if i ever get anything to the point that it is releaseable. Plus all my influences like emerson/sasha are quite candid about the fact that they may be able to produce but they have a guy who does all the mastering. so i just wanted an easy way to make something sound better and round out the edges.

Strange thing is a couple of times recently I have loaded stuff into Final Touch and used the presets I have heard absolutely no difference. I won't say nothing happened but to my ear, which admittedly not amazing but still pretty good, I heard nothing. I played it to my mate and he was like no way. I don't know why, I do kinda work on things as I go along. I try to get things sounding good.

rickwaugh
Expert

Post by rickwaugh » Wed Apr 01, 2015 11:38 pm

It's all part of the fun for me. Keep learning, keep moving.

Base16
Expert

Post by Base16 » Thu Apr 02, 2015 1:41 am

With all the iOS audio apps and tools that I've acquired along with what Auria offers as add ons, I'd have to say I feel confident that one could mix and master in the same rendering. Sure everything starts out at 16 bit uncompressed, but you got 64 bit floating, and the built in channel effects are truly nice enough for basic compression and EQ-ing...a nice CPU saver. So, with all your fx being IAA compatible and able to ride the Audio Bus, you can be economical treating your tracks to perfection. I got Final Touch and another Mastering suite...they open right up in Auria. All things covered and details in place, she'll dither quite nicely for ya! MIDI days are coming up soon featuring a whole new skin. Happy Mastering Bro!