Excited about this product

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

buzzardwhiskey

Excited about this product

Post by buzzardwhiskey » Thu Mar 26, 2015 11:10 am

Hello!

Our band, Buzzard Whiskey, just put out its first EP in February but I'm new to home recording.

On one boom-less mic-stand I have an Apogee One for iPad interface, an iPad in a swivel-clip running Auria, a Mackie CR3 monitor on a little clip-shelf, and a pair of AT M50x headphones. On another stand I have a Miktek PM5 microphone. Kind of a mini/portable studio... amazing!

This product seems like a very cool tool and I'm looking forward to digging in. In particular, I'm looking forward to being able to record at various locales (band members living rooms, churches, schools) with so much ease.

Anyway... Thanks for hosting/contributing to this forum.

Peace,
David

martygras
Expert

Re: Excited about this product

Post by martygras » Fri Mar 27, 2015 10:20 am

Buzzard Whiskey? what a name for a band man. If you want the audience to remember your band's name, you aced it. Who could forget that name?

The setup you describe sounds really nice. You should/could post a few pics maybe? Eh? Got a Soundcloud link or anything? We're a curious lot here.

Also...
If you encounter any bumps along the way, let us know how you dealt with the issue. Using iPads live is still evolving.
Marty Schulte [I'm a drummer. So, there's that.]
iPad AIR(128), Akai EIE, Akai EWI USB, illudium q-36 explosive space modulator
Head First Audio (live sound for Southern Oregon, USA)

buzzardwhiskey

Post by buzzardwhiskey » Mon Mar 30, 2015 3:59 pm

IMG_4238-1.jpg
Auria based recording setup
Here's a picture of my rig. :)

martygras
Expert

Post by martygras » Mon Mar 30, 2015 5:51 pm

Is that a new Mackie monitor? I hadn't seen these yet. Hope they sound good.

Your setup is almost too simple. Needs a bit more clutter. :)
Marty Schulte [I'm a drummer. So, there's that.]
iPad AIR(128), Akai EIE, Akai EWI USB, illudium q-36 explosive space modulator
Head First Audio (live sound for Southern Oregon, USA)

buzzardwhiskey

Post by buzzardwhiskey » Mon Mar 30, 2015 6:17 pm

Haha :)

I don't have anything with which to compare the Mackie CR3 monitor, but I almost wanted form over function (not really, but close).

It took an hour or so but I just produced my first "recording" to Auria via the Apogee One's built-in mic and was able to listen to it. Woot woot.

Because the Apogee One only has one output (no separate headphone out), I'm pleased by the headphone out that the Mackie CR3 offers.

buzzardwhiskey

Post by buzzardwhiskey » Thu Apr 02, 2015 8:38 am

Well, it’s pretty cool. Frustrating at first, but really sort of amazing once I got the most basic hang of it.

I’m talking about my mobile recording rig.

I hooked it all up and attached a microphone to the Apogee One last night. Then I started Auria and could hear myself through the headphones. We’re cooking with gas now! Then I created a blank track, armed it for recording, and pressed Play.

Woohoo, we’re recording! And the quality of the recording itself (not my voice) is very high! The only comparison I have is my recording using a Zoom H2, and this blows it away. Of course, I'm using a $600 mic so there's that. :)

Adding track after track is fairly easy. Just “rewind”, create another empty track, arm it, and press Play. I can listen to what the other track(s) is/are doing while recording another. Very cool stuff. And when the whole thing is done, I just put the recording in Dropbox directly from Auria and retrieve it from Dropbox on my PC.

The whole kit and caboodle can be packed away and taken to our practice space, or someone’s living room or a school or whatever. And this opens up some cool ways of exploring. I can lay down a couple guitar parts and my vocals, and then email just that to the band asking them to come up with some ideas for their parts. Then a couple weeks later, we can get together individually. If we want, we can record as many takes/versions as they like to use as reminders or jumping-off points or whatever.

I can see it as a nice way to foster multipart harmonies, lead guitar riffs, bass riffs, drum rhythms. Very cool.

And then of course there’s the possibility of recording a complete album. It’s got the specs. The feel of the album would be different from the first one we made, and I’m going to have to weigh that, but with the right room acoustics and enough time it’s possible to record whole polished songs.

Anyway… cool toy.