Regarding Auria and IAA

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

Holiday

Regarding Auria and IAA

Post by Holiday » Wed Mar 18, 2015 7:01 pm

I'm rather new to iPad recording. I picked up Auria so I can work on music, mix things together, on the go. I don't do much live recording, mostly working with synth apps, drum machines, and the like. I was hoping to use Auria to record my iPad synths at highest quality but I've discovered that it's quite different from my Mac DAW and plugins. Whereas I can set my DAW to any sample and bit rate my audio interface can perform and load up a VST synth without issue in iOS environment the synths seem to all have an enforced cap where I can only record them at 44.1K. Otherwise I get an error (like in Magellan) or the sound is pitched up (like when I use DM-1). Not sure why this is nor why there still isn't options for higher quality output by the developers of these iOS synths considering iOS supports up to 96K.

At any rate, I wanted to pose a question to those who use Auria and various iPad synths via IAA. Are there any synths that allow anything higher than 44.1K? Would using Auria with a audio interface bypass these limitations? Does anyone import and then upsample so they can make use of audio processing at higher sample rates?

Holiday

Re: Regarding Auria and IAA

Post by Holiday » Thu Mar 19, 2015 10:23 am

Further my experimentation I wanted to see if I could at least get a higher bit rate by recording iVCS3 into Auria as oppose to using the apps native record or a third party recorder. However I cannot seem to find a "track info" button in Auria on the wav file to see if it recorded at 16 or higher bit rate. Is there such a function?

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Thu Mar 19, 2015 6:44 pm

Auria always records at 24 bits.

Rim

Washboy
Expert

Post by Washboy » Fri Mar 20, 2015 5:38 am

@Holiday: it's not clear (to me, at least) what method(s) you've been using to get audio from your synths into Auria (e.g. Audiobus / iOS's IAA / ACP (AudioCopyPaste) / Auria's Audio Import). Some of them have limitations.

Holiday

Post by Holiday » Fri Mar 20, 2015 7:42 am

So far I've tried direct recording via IAA into Auria and more recently AudioShare. Essentially what I discovered is that iOS instruments are not like VST/AU plugins in that they are fixed sample rate (perhaps fixed bit depth too) so for example Magellan into Auria whilst Auria is set to 96K is just not happening. I have been able to record into AudioShare at 32bit (stuck at 44.1K though) and import that into an Auria project that is set at 96K though. That seems to be the only current way to get the best quality sound from any iOS synth.

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Fri Mar 20, 2015 8:39 am

That's true. Auria is one of the few apps that supports 48k and 96k. Most apps only work at 44.1

Rim

Holiday

Post by Holiday » Fri Mar 20, 2015 11:02 am

Out of curiosity does anyone know what, let's say a music making app on iOS, differs from a synth app/plugin on OSX in so far as it does not take on the sample rate of the host of a DAW?

I can only hope that these developers of music making apps in iOS at least open the door to higher sample rates.

martygras
Expert

Post by martygras » Fri Mar 20, 2015 11:12 am

I would settle for the devs (of synth and sequencer apps) adhering to midi protocols and agree to standardize the use of midi routing managers, but yes Auria seems to have been open minded enough to allow freedom to choose other viable bit depth options. Auria reminds me of Reaper in it's concept of letting the user decide what is the best way to do this or that.
Marty Schulte [I'm a drummer. So, there's that.]
iPad AIR(128), Akai EIE, Akai EWI USB, illudium q-36 explosive space modulator
Head First Audio (live sound for Southern Oregon, USA)