Odd meter time signature support

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

asl8er

Odd meter time signature support

Post by asl8er » Fri Mar 13, 2015 11:17 am

I am contemplating purchasing Auria for recording purposes, however, much of my music these days involves odd meter time signatures. So, my question is: Can I use Auria to set a constant tempo / metronome in the project of any of these time signatures, for example, 5/8, 7/8, 9/8 (as 2-2-2-3, not 3-3-3), 10/8 (not 5/8 doubled), 11/8, 12/8, etc.? (Obviously this is in addition to the expected 2/4, 4/4, 3/4, 3/8, 6/8, etc.)

Note that I am NOT looking for a time signature change mid-way through in the time line, but a CONSTANT time signature throughout. Can Auria support odd meter time signatures like this? Thanks...!

Matt W
Expert

Re: Odd meter time signature support

Post by Matt W » Fri Mar 13, 2015 1:42 pm

Hi,

Auria currently supports a few of those non-standard signatures, here's the current list available in the app:
  • 2/2
    4/2
    2/4
    3/4
    4/4
    5/2
    5/4
    3/8
    6/8
    7/8
    9/8
    12/8
Regarding your example of subdividing 9/8 measures as 2-2-2-3 vs 3-3-3, Auria's built-in metronome is very simple and doesn't have any customization to it for how to emphasize subdivisions - in that example it would simply click on every 8th note and stress the downbeat.

But, if you found (or made) a pre-recorded audio loop of a metronome with the right feel for your project, using Auria's built-in Time Stretching function it could be adjusted to fit any tempo you need - in this case just select your signature, turn off the built-in metronome, loop that metronome clip to run as long as needed, and start recording.

Lastly, I just want to make sure you're aware that the currently available version of Auria is strictly an audio-only app, though we're going to be adding MIDI recording later with Auria Pro.
Matthew Werner
WaveMachine Labs, Inc.

asl8er

Re: Odd meter time signature support

Post by asl8er » Fri Mar 13, 2015 1:50 pm

Thanks for your response Matt, I am interested in audio only, so the current lack of MIDI is not an issue for me. My thought (assuming limited support for odd meters) was to create a pattern in DrumPerfect (for example) in the time signature I need, and with the accents placed appropriately, bring that into Auria and use that as the "click track". That seems to be what you are suggesting, so I think I am (hopefully) on the right track!