Monitor speakers connected to headphonejack ipad

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

BossToneS

Monitor speakers connected to headphonejack ipad

Post by BossToneS » Fri Mar 13, 2015 4:34 am

Hi All,

I'll introduce myself first,
I'm Remco, living in the Netherlands, playing guitar for around 28 years now, but dived into the world of recording myself just recently.
I'm using Auria for a couple of weeks now and just registered to the Auriaforum.
At the moment I'm using cheap pc speakers connected to the headphone jack, it was ok for the first weeks while figuring everything out...but i want something of better quality now.

I was looking for some monitor speakers ( JBL LSR305) to start with, plan is to connect it with a Y-cable (XLR-> mini-jack) to the headphonejack of my ipad.
My question is , is this worth the upgrade or will it be overkill because the headphone jack does not deliver the needed audioquality anyway and will it be a waste of money?....i don't know.
At the moment I connect the guitar with a iRIG pro, I don't have an audiointerface to which i can connect the speakers (yet).
Has anyone experience with this , is the audioquality very noticeable different or can advice otherwise? :D

Thanks,
Remco
Last edited by BossToneS on Fri Mar 13, 2015 2:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Phil999
Expert

Re: Monitor speakers connected to headphonejack ipad

Post by Phil999 » Fri Mar 13, 2015 12:20 pm

no I think it's a good idea to get some monitors. What most musicians use with monitors is at least a small mixer. With that you can put some gain to the iPad signal, and have proper symmetrical connections to the monitors, and overall less problems.

Auratech
Expert

Post by Auratech » Sun Mar 15, 2015 7:25 am

JBL LSR305 is fine.
Far better like pc speakers even drive from jack-xlr too but a small form mixer with balanced outputs is worth for any pence.
For example the Mackie 402-VLZ3 has balanced(or unbalanced) outputs.
Balanced outs gives +3dB headroom to JBL sounding more musical. Some more dynamics, better signal to noise ratio.
2. The balanced cords is not noise sensitive to the length of cable. You can lead the signal noise free so long as your enviroment need. Better speaker placing and the HQ mic cord used here far cheaper, like hi-end unbalanced interconnects.
My rover Studio: iPad Air2-64Gb, Auria, Zoom H6, 2xRode Nt1, 2x Rode Nt55,
DT-770PRO, XMS-disc-(Jecklin), Ruinvo-panasonic USB Power pack,
Home: Rebuilt BEAG Hec45 Active Studio Monitors, i7-PC-Samplitude, IK-Multimedia ARC-2

BossToneS

Post by BossToneS » Sun Mar 15, 2015 1:30 pm

Thanks for the advice, appreciate it!
I guess the Mackie 402-VLZ4 will do just as fine?

Another question,
How do i set this mixer up in combination with an ipad running autia as DAW, and iRig pro to record into the DAW while having the guitar plugged into the mixer?
How do i get that signal into the irig pro and into the headphonejack of the ipad, it seems there's only one tape out, I don't quite understand how to connect. :roll:

Maybe this is a dumb question, but i don't have much experience with this and I'm rather be sure instead of discovering it doesn't fit my needs afterwards.

http://www.mackie.com/downloads/VLZ4/ma ... LZ4_OM.pdf

Is it: ipad headphone jack into tape in and tape out to irig pro perhaps? :?
Thanks in advance!

Ohmnoise
Expert

Post by Ohmnoise » Sun Mar 15, 2015 4:34 pm

Your iRig has only 1 input and delivers its signal digital to the iOS-Device like iPad. In this scenarium you should go out with an headphone-connector to the mixer, same cable like you did with your old computer-sound card to your HiFi. Put Auria into low latency-mode, via Menu - Settings - Record Latency to 128 or 256 samples and Record Monitor on. Now you should control the loudspeaker volume of your processed guitar or mic signal from the mixer.
Have fun!
iPad 3/16 GB - Alesis Dock - Auria 2.0 - ReTune - Audiobus - JamUp Pro - Alchemy Pro - DM1