Metal/hard rock ...auria still good? Advice?

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

vejichan
Expert

Metal/hard rock ...auria still good? Advice?

Post by vejichan » Tue Feb 10, 2015 5:22 pm

Recently recording on my PC isn't an option. So I have decided to switch over to my iPad air for all my recording. I'm playing hard rock/metal instrumental music. I have the line 6 interface. On PC I mainly used amp sims, ez drummer 2 and reaper and the build in plugins for my Daw

So what I want to know is what I would need to start recording and that auria does everything I need
1) what amp sims on iPad are good?
2) what drum apps are good? Preferably something that has loops
3) how do I do parallel compression on drums
4) how do I group my guitars and bass and drums so I can add high pass and low pass etc ..
5) what inapp effx are necessary for me to make metal music on iPad

Any other apps you guys can recommend that would be helpful?

Tourniquet
Expert

Re: Metal/hard rock ...auria still good? Advice?

Post by Tourniquet » Tue Feb 10, 2015 6:49 pm

Hi, I'm no expert, but mostly do Metal with my recording.

JamUp pro xt is a must for metal. And OverLoud THM IAP is pretty good for metal.

Rock Drum Machine is really good.

I'll let others fill in the rest.

Anthony Alves
Expert

Post by Anthony Alves » Tue Feb 10, 2015 7:04 pm

1. There are many great amp sim/guitar FX app. My top three are ( THM Overloud Auria IAP ) Bias and Amp One. All will give you great metal sounds.
2. For drum Loops you can get the Hollywood Drum Loops as an Auria IAP or import any loops from your PC as Auria is a pro daw. My top three are DrumPerfect, BeatMachine, BeatHawk.
3. For Parallel compression in Auria you can use any of the compressors available in Auria. My top three are ProMB,ProC,FXPansion BussComp. To do this just set your compressor to compress heavily and then add the compressor into the mix to raise the softer parts. Also know as NewYork Compression. All of Auria's comps have this mix in dial.
4. Each of Auria's tracks has a buss assign allowing you to sent any track to any buss. Once those tracks are assigned, that single buss fader will control all of those tracks and any eq or cut or boost in that channel will affect them all.
5. Get the best comps and eq's and warming/distortion plugs like Saturn, Volcano and PsP MicroWarmer.

Good Luck and welcome to Auria~~_/)~~~*

eustressor
Expert

Post by eustressor » Wed Feb 11, 2015 7:21 am

I play heavy and Auria is my friend. +1 on Jamup Pro, and if you like to design custom cabs, +1 for Bias, which lets you import your cabs into Jamup. If you want configurable loops, +1 for Rock Drum Machine. Here's a recent demo from TheSoundTestRoom.com:

http://www.thesoundtestroom.com/?s=Rock+Drum+Machine

If you prefer to roll your own percussion, Drumperfect lets you import your own samples and add a real human feel.

Finally, if you dig tablature and ever need to compose when the guitar isn't handy, Jam Maestro is great for capturing guitar, bass and drum ideas. Sounds good, too:

http://youtu.be/heCszQYwjD4

Enjoy!

Tourniquet
Expert

Post by Tourniquet » Wed Feb 11, 2015 8:24 am

As @eustressor mentioned, Bias letting you import your cabs/amps to JamUp is really great. I've gotten some of the heaviest sounds from importing Bias Amps, and then adding The famed green distortion pedal, or the Boss MT-metal zone. The amount of Metal I can get from a Bias import into JamUp is crazy, and I'd say unmatched on ios.

martygras
Expert

Post by martygras » Wed Feb 11, 2015 10:25 am

Just so you know, Auria is about to release it's new "Auria Pro" which will have, tempo chg, time signatures, midi, advanced busing and a bunch of other cool shit.

Why are you asking this question? You've been on this forum for over a year.
Marty Schulte [I'm a drummer. So, there's that.]
iPad AIR(128), Akai EIE, Akai EWI USB, illudium q-36 explosive space modulator
Head First Audio (live sound for Southern Oregon, USA)

vejichan
Expert

Post by vejichan » Wed Feb 11, 2015 5:53 pm

Sorry..gone back to desktop recording or a year but now I'm back on my iPad...can anybody do a video on how you record your metal? Also is t necessary t buy the inapp stuff?

Anthony Alves
Expert

Post by Anthony Alves » Thu Feb 12, 2015 8:04 am

No you don't have to purchase the in app plugins but if you are familiar with desktop recording than Auria's available plugins are from the desktop world. You really will need the Fabfilter collection to sculpt your metal sound. As for as how to record metal on the iPad and Auria?...the same as you do right now on your PC. Just connect your high end audio interface to your iPad via a CCk kit, connect your cab mic to the interface and set it in front of your marshall, turn your Marshall to 11 and record your guitar straight into Auria. Once the track is in Auria use the complete Fabfilter plugin set to create your sound. That is how I would do it. However if you don't record using an amp and only want to use iOS apps than the list already mentioned is the best selection. As for vid on the subject, you can get some great ideas on YouTube and apply those ideas to Auria and the iPad. Cheers and good luck.
@Martygras--Good Memory :shock:
~~_/)~~~*

martygras
Expert

Post by martygras » Thu Feb 12, 2015 11:01 am

I seem to recall vejichan is more of a guitar app type, (Jam-up/Overloud) but yes I do recommend miking a cabinet anytime possible. Jamming through an amp is also much more inspiring

Lately I've been coming into the board clean and process with Saturn and Timeless 2. These Fabfilter plugs are just amazing when you can control anything or modulate anything.
Marty Schulte [I'm a drummer. So, there's that.]
iPad AIR(128), Akai EIE, Akai EWI USB, illudium q-36 explosive space modulator
Head First Audio (live sound for Southern Oregon, USA)