Issue with Auria and Audiobus

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

michaelmoore83

Issue with Auria and Audiobus

Post by michaelmoore83 » Mon Jan 26, 2015 3:33 am

Hello,
I noticed that there are other threads regarding Auria and Audiobus issues, but after searching for them none of the proposed solutions seem to work for me. It is also important to point out that Audiobus and Auria monitor just perfect and that I'm don't have any perceived latency like everyone else, but my problem is that the timing of my recording is off. I'm really sold on the combination of these two amazing apps, so I'd like to see if anyone else can help me get my setup working properly. I'm really hoping my issue can be solved by adjusting of a setting. .

I am using an iPad air 2 (not jailbroken) running iOS 8.1.2

Auria works perfect when using the onboard iPad microphone for "scratch tracks", and it works great with my Line 6 sonic port for recording guitar. I have also used it with a Behringer X32 with great results. Auria also works great with my other apps when I use the apps as inserts on tracks, but in this case I want to use Audiobus to process my instruments *before* getting to Auria, and I'm having issues with everything lining up.

When running an instrument through an effect and into Auria via Audiobus, I'm able to play the instrument in real time (no perceivable latency), I hear the effects on it and everything sounds great. No pops or crackle, just perfect. . So then I record into Auria, everything monitors fine during the recording process, BUT then I go to listen back to my performance and it the whole recording is maybe 50ms early. This is not a true measurement, just a guess. When I shift the recording down a bit, it lines up and stays in time for the rest of the song, so this is definitely not a performance issue, it is a consistent and replicable technical problem.

My technical terminology probably isn't that great when it comes to recording terminology, but it seems the problem has something to do with "latency compensation". I think the way most DAWs work is that the DAW settings determine latency which I believe in my case is set to 256 samples (or frames) and then when you are done recording, the DAW pulls the audio forward so that everything lines up in time. Assuming that is how it works, it seems as if what is happening in my case is that the audio is pulled too far forward and makes my recording out of time until I manually re-align it.

I made a recording of some screenshots I took from my iPad to show my settings. . I apologize if my rambling during the video is repetitive and unhelpful, but I'm doing my best to convey my issue and get this solved. Here is the link to the video:
http://vimeo.com/117773330

I should also mention I have toggled different buffer sizes, I have toggled Audiobus live monitoring on and off, etc. . Nothing seemed to make a difference.

Thank you guys in advance for your help, and thank you to the developer for making a great piece of software for us!

Rim
Site Admin

Re: Issue with Auria and Audiobus

Post by Rim » Mon Jan 26, 2015 7:20 am

in my experience it's not uncommon for effects apps running through Audiobus to not properly report their latency, and this can cause issues for DAWs which use delay compensation like Auria. It's a guess, but I suspect this is happening in your case. Have you experimented with different effects apps to see if the delay changes?

Rim

Washboy
Expert

Post by Washboy » Mon Jan 26, 2015 8:09 am

@Rim: In his video, @michaelmoore83 says he's tried a variety of apps in the input and effect slots of AB and that it makes no difference to the symptom he experiences.

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Mon Jan 26, 2015 9:03 am

Ah, I missed the video, thanks. I've got it on my list to investigate now.

Rim

michaelmoore83

Post by michaelmoore83 » Sat Jan 31, 2015 11:38 am

Hi guys, I appreciate your quick responses. Unfortunately, I ran into more problems trying to these apps to play well with each other. I tried opening up the Thor synth app as an insert on a channel and the sound came through Auria's mixer just fine, but during Auria's playback and recording, Thor shut down the sound coming from Auria about 5 seconds after I stopped playing midi notes into Thor. As soon as pressed a midi note, Auria's audio would come on again and cut out about 5 seconds later. I have the iPad air 2 and it doesn't seem to be a CPU issue because my meter shows plenty of headroom. I'm sure this is a problem with Thor, not Auria, but it still makes recording Thor into Auria not a possibility for me, especially because Audiobus and Thor didn't work out either for me.

The other problem I ran into is when I went to use Sugar Byte's Turnado plugin as an FX insert, it worked perfect but when I closed my song and re-opened it, it would not correctly remember the state of Turnado and had to manually recall my settings on there every time I worked on a song.

I really liked using the iPad for recording. It is so convenient! Touch mixing and editing is so much nicer than using a mouse or touchpad on a desktop. It is really cool and inspiring to be able to touch your music, but it seems like the iOS platform really needs a better solution than what is currently available for it to tie instrument apps and DAWs together. Something that works consistently, and all developers are on board with. I am very confident with Auria as a dedicated recording program, so maybe one day I'll get the funds together for a dual iPad setup. One dedicated to Auria, the other used for instrument apps. I'm sure connecting the two via a nice audio interface and physical cabling would work awesome and be bug free, at this time doing it all "in the box" is not a good option for musicians.

mrufino1
Expert

Post by mrufino1 » Sun Feb 01, 2015 1:36 am

Have you tried changing the record latency adjustment? What would happen if you changed that number to 256? I know it doesn't sound logical, since it's early, but I'd be interested to see.
I do know that audiobus seems to have developed some issues with ios8 from what I read.

What interface are you using to get sound in and out?

Unrelated to your video, turn down those recording levels! No need to track so hot. :-)

michaelmoore83

Post by michaelmoore83 » Sun Feb 01, 2015 1:48 am

I've changed my latency from 256 to 512 on both Auria and Audiobus. Makes no difference.

I have a Presonus iTwo interface but I was attempting to get audio into Auria via other iPad apps, so the interface is really irrelevant. It also records the audio early wether I am monitoring from the iTwo of just the headphone jack. I've tried every combination of settings, apps and with of without interface connected.

Long story short is that the audio records out of time and every time when routing Audiobus into Auria. As stated above, I'm also having issues with using different instruments as inserts. So for now, I'm back to using my MacBook for recording, and just using the iPad for the synth based apps I already own. I've been using studio one as my DAW,the iPad and laptop are connected via cabling and an audio interface. Works perfect every time.

Auria works great for audio and editing but the iOS platform just isn't ready for electronic music without having to leave the box.

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Sun Feb 01, 2015 8:56 am

We've been able to confirm that there's an issue with timing in certain cases when using Audiobus, and I've got it on my list to look into for the next update.

Rim

Nenox
Expert

Post by Nenox » Thu Mar 19, 2015 1:22 pm

Also delay compensation is not working properly, using auria bus as a source and auria track as destination. Monitoring has a slight delay. Recorded has a significant one.

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Thu Mar 19, 2015 6:43 pm

There are no issues I'm aware of with Auria's delay compensation. Are you talking about delay compensation as it relates to Audiobus only? If so, it's probably related to the original issue.

Rim