Recording over existing track

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

Wildginger

Recording over existing track

Post by Wildginger » Tue Dec 09, 2014 6:30 pm

I am a brand new user and I have been trying to find info in the manual about what happens to recordings when you "re-record"

I happened to record a vocal track over an existing vocal track and when I was editing the region (splitting, cutting, etc) I noticed that the "old" recording was still below it. For example when I drag the end of a region forward, it exposed the old track.
Does that mean Auria keeps the old recording(s) that was/were recorded on the same track

I can't find anything about this in the manual

Yvo

Wildginger

Re: Recording over existing track

Post by Wildginger » Thu Dec 25, 2014 8:37 am

Bump.

I can't believe that there' s no one who has not run into this issue.

I made some new recordings, and I know that if I record over an existing track the new track will be "on top" of the existing one. If I record a third time, the new one will be on top of the two previous recordings.

I know the tracks are there because they can be "revealed" when dragging the end of the top track backwards (or drag the beginning forwards)
But it seems you can' t really access the previous tracks easily if one wants to compare the different takes.
Unless I' missing something there's nothing at all about this in the manual.

Being able to do different takes on the same track is a very normal thing to do in multitrack recording but it seems Auria doesn't really cover that ( other than just laying the latest take on top of the previous ones)

pitzipado
Expert

Post by pitzipado » Thu Dec 25, 2014 9:58 am

Hello- here is some previous discussion on this topic
I don't think anyone has found a really slick easy way to do what you
describe but with some prior planning it can be done
Best wishes
jp
http://auriaapp.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=10636

mtingle
Expert

Post by mtingle » Thu Dec 25, 2014 11:20 am

they way I handle this is to make a bunch of blank tracks below the track I wish to record on. Then after each take I drag the last recorded region directly down onto the next blank track. I keep doing this for as long as I need.

that's it. Sometimes I route all the recorded tracks to their own subgroup enabling me to add fx to them all in one go and using the region mute feature to disregard the takes I don't want to hear.

It's the most elegant way I've found.

rickwaugh
Expert

Post by rickwaugh » Fri Dec 26, 2014 5:44 pm

I'm more of the, "can I please get rid of these damned things if I'm not using them, as they eat space."

If I decide to do another take because I messed up the first, I delete the previous wav file. If I do something I like, and I want to keep it to compare with later recordings, I do it the old fashioned way - I record onto another track, and leave the first alone. This way I know what's where, I can label them, etc.

I have got myself into trouble at times where I have overdubbed a section, and then some process of selecting/dragging tracks has resulted in the overdub flipping behind the previous track. Thank god for undo - if I happen to notice what I've done.

Tovokas
Expert

Post by Tovokas » Sat Dec 27, 2014 5:26 am

Yes, some type of take management system would be a huge plus. I've grown to love Auria for slicing, dicing, and leveling tracks, but recording/winnowing/editing a composite take track is cumbersome.

Wildginger

Post by Wildginger » Sat Dec 27, 2014 8:10 pm

mtingle wrote:they way I handle this is to make a bunch of blank tracks below the track I wish to record on. Then after each take I drag the last recorded region directly down onto the next blank track. I keep doing this for as long as I need.

that's it. Sometimes I route all the recorded tracks to their own subgroup enabling me to add fx to them all in one go and using the region mute feature to disregard the takes I don't want to hear.

It's the most elegant way I've found.
I guess this is the best way to do it and I like your idea to route them all to a subgroup so I won't have to worry about different FX settings

Thank you so much!