Constant CPU Overload Errors

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

midwinter
Expert

Constant CPU Overload Errors

Post by midwinter » Thu Nov 27, 2014 3:29 pm

Hi all.

Lately, I've been getting pretty constant CPU overload errors when recording (which is, of course, incredibly frustrating). This is on an iPad 3. No other apps are running and the iPad is in airplane mode. Most recently, it happened on a project with 5 tracks and minimal effects (just a little reverb, EQ, and micro-warmer). I am also experiencing an issue where, when I freeze a track, it will be out of sync with the rest of the tracks (i.e. a frozen vocal will come in many seconds later than it should).

It happens even when I reset the iPad. I have not updated to iOS 8. I've been reluctant to update because I have several projects underway at the moment. But if it's safe and that will fix my problems, I'll do it.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Jus
Expert

Re: Constant CPU Overload Errors

Post by Jus » Thu Nov 27, 2014 3:41 pm

Yep I'm getting this too :twisted: very frustrating

But I'm on iOS 8

midwinter
Expert

Post by midwinter » Thu Nov 27, 2014 8:20 pm

It's really, really infuriating. Auria is unusable. Is there a way to revert to an older version?

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Fri Nov 28, 2014 7:40 am

Sorry to hear about that! Sounds like two unrelated things. Let's tackle them one at a time:

- the CPU issues: It's not uncommon to get this when your record latency is set too low. Have you tried going into Auria's settings and increasing this to 512 or higher? This makes a big difference for CPU usage. There are several reports about iOS8 and higher CPU usage in audio apps, so I don't recommend upgrading right now.

Are you getting these warnings when using an audio interface?

Also, when the warnings occur, are you using Audiobus, IAA, or any other apps in the background? If so, which ones?

Another thing to check regarding CPU usage is to make sure you're not using 64-bit mixer mode. This uses a lot more CPU, especially on older iPads. Higher sample rates will also contribute to more CPU usage. I recommend sticking with 44.1K if you want to reduce CPU usage.

As far as the issue with freezing a track and having the timing change, I've heard reports of this rare problem but hsvr never been able to reproduce it. Freezing and unfreezing always works great for me here. I assume it's a particular plugin or combination of plugins that's causing this to happen. If you have a particular project in which this happens every single time you freeze, please send it to me! If I can identify this problem, I can let the responsible plugin company know about it so they can fix it.

Thanks,
Rim

midwinter
Expert

Post by midwinter » Fri Nov 28, 2014 9:36 am

Hi, Rim. Thanks for the quick response.

- Thanks for the suggestion about upgrading. I'll keep it in iOS 7. My latency was set at 512. I'll increase it to 1024 and try some tracking today. I also increased the disk buffer to "large"

- I am using an Alesis ioDock.

- These are very simple projects. No Audiobus. I *am* using the convolution reverb and the PSP microwarmer. If any plugin I'm using is the culprit with regard to the freezing issue, it's almost certainly the microwarmer. I'll see if I can get it to happen consistently and send you the project.

Thanks, again! Auria is such a great, great DAW; I was panicking at the thought of having to switch to something else!
Rim wrote:Sorry to hear about that! Sounds like two unrelated things. Let's tackle them one at a time:

- the CPU issues: It's not uncommon to get this when your record latency is set too low. Have you tried going into Auria's settings and increasing this to 512 or higher? This makes a big difference for CPU usage. There are several reports about iOS8 and higher CPU usage in audio apps, so I don't recommend upgrading right now.

Are you getting these warnings when using an audio interface?

Also, when the warnings occur, are you using Audiobus, IAA, or any other apps in the background? If so, which ones?

Another thing to check regarding CPU usage is to make sure you're not using 64-bit mixer mode. This uses a lot more CPU, especially on older iPads. Higher sample rates will also contribute to more CPU usage. I recommend sticking with 44.1K if you want to reduce CPU usage.

As far as the issue with freezing a track and having the timing change, I've heard reports of this rare problem but hsvr never been able to reproduce it. Freezing and unfreezing always works great for me here. I assume it's a particular plugin or combination of plugins that's causing this to happen. If you have a particular project in which this happens every single time you freeze, please send it to me! If I can identify this problem, I can let the responsible plugin company know about it so they can fix it.

Thanks,
Rim

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Fri Nov 28, 2014 10:45 am

Increasing the disk buffer won't help with CPU overload messages, but will help prevent disk overloads. Are you sure the message you saw was a CPU overload, not a disk overload?

You mentioned convolution reverb. This might be a clue to what's going on. The convolution reverb can't be used while recording. Normally, Auria prevents you from doing this. I assume you're using the reverb only while playing back?

There's one more thing to make sure of - the convolution reverb can only be used when the buffer size is 4096. Normally, Auria uses a buffer size of 4096 automatically while playing back (but not during recording, which is why the convolution reverb can only be used while in playback). But if you have another audio app running in the background when first launching Auria, it's possible that Auria will be forced to use the other app's buffer size (which could be small). This would cause a problem for the convolution reverb. To ensure this never happens, always close all other apps (including Audiobus), then launch Auria first.

Rim

midwinter
Expert

Post by midwinter » Fri Nov 28, 2014 11:36 am

Definitely CPU overload.

As for the reverb, I just have it and the microwarmer on the aux buses. I've been doing it this way since day one with Auria, and the app usually just disables the reverb when I'm recording. I have nothing else running in the background (that is, no other apps at all) and nothing fancy in terms of audio plugins.

Like I said, I'll try a little tracking today and see if I can get the problem to either go away or happen consistently.

Thanks, again, for your responsiveness!
Rim wrote:Increasing the disk buffer won't help with CPU overload messages, but will help prevent disk overloads. Are you sure the message you saw was a CPU overload, not a disk overload?

You mentioned convolution reverb. This might be a clue to what's going on. The convolution reverb can't be used while recording. Normally, Auria prevents you from doing this. I assume you're using the reverb only while playing back?

There's one more thing to make sure of - the convolution reverb can only be used when the buffer size is 4096. Normally, Auria uses a buffer size of 4096 automatically while playing back (but not during recording, which is why the convolution reverb can only be used while in playback). But if you have another audio app running in the background when first launching Auria, it's possible that Auria will be forced to use the other app's buffer size (which could be small). This would cause a problem for the convolution reverb. To ensure this never happens, always close all other apps (including Audiobus), then launch Auria first.

Rim

midwinter
Expert

Post by midwinter » Fri Nov 28, 2014 8:53 pm

OK. Other problems are cropping up with this project, Rim. Can I send the project to you?

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Fri Nov 28, 2014 10:13 pm

Absolutely. Send it via dropbox to: rim at drumagog dot com

Thanks,
Rim

midwinter
Expert

Post by midwinter » Fri Nov 28, 2014 10:48 pm

Done. I'm leaving in a track where I have weirdness with a stereo mic setup (it's the unnamed track 7). This problem does not occur in other DAWs and persists despite changing latency.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Sat Nov 29, 2014 7:22 am

OK, thanks. So this particular track demonstrates the issue you were having with freezing/unfreezing and having the timing change? Which track is it?

Rim

midwinter
Expert

Post by midwinter » Sat Nov 29, 2014 9:53 am

Track 7 exhibits a problem I'm having with weird clicking sounds appearing in my tracks. The same clicks appear regardless of mics (i.e. if I change mics, the sound remains). The project as a whole is one where I'm getting pretty consistent CPU overload errors when I try to record.
Rim wrote:OK, thanks. So this particular track demonstrates the issue you were having with freezing/unfreezing and having the timing change? Which track is it?

Rim

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Sat Nov 29, 2014 10:42 am

OK, I'll have a look.

Thanks,
Rim

midwinter
Expert

Post by midwinter » Sat Nov 29, 2014 2:48 pm

And then I was able to record for a good long while without incident just now on that same project. I manually disabled all fx, though.