"Out of Memory" Observation

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

MikeDee
Expert

"Out of Memory" Observation

Post by MikeDee » Fri Nov 14, 2014 9:39 am

While traveling home on a train last night, I was working on a song in Auria, which contained some plugins, including one IAA (Crystalline)...only five tracks at present. iPad 4, iOS 7.1.2, Auria v1.154. (Although Wi-Fi was turned on, there were no available hotspots in the area at the time.) Auria's CPU usage was at about 50-60%...all was working well. Nearing my station, I closed Auria and Crystalline.

A few hours later, while at home, I reopened my project. To my surprise, the CPU usage was fluctuating between 82% and 92%! Tapping Play caused an immediate Out of Memory notification. I closed all applications, put the iPad in Airplane Mode, cleared memory with cMemory, powered down the iPad, and rebooted. I again reopened my project...still very high CPU usage (over 80%). I tried freezing tracks, which brought the CPU usage down to about 50% (which is still high, considering the frozen tracks); however, I still got occasional Out of Memory notifications. Oddly, though, after unfreezing the tracks, the CPU usage still hovered at around 50%.

It was then that I realized that my performance issue had begun to occur around the time the iPad's battery indicator displayed less than 40% remaining power. By the time I had given up for the night, I was at 29%. I let the iPad charge overnight to full capacity. As expected, when I reopened the project this morning, the CPU usage was 22%.

Conclusion: I suspect that iOS (most likely all versions) automatically switches to a power saving mode when the iDevice's remaining battery power falls below a predefined threshold (probably around 40%), continuing to slow down (and, in some cases, possibly shut down) additional processes as the remaining battery power decreases. I am uncertain as to whether this process/mode can be controlled or turned off by the user...so it appears that my best bet is to start a project with a fully charged iPad and occasionally check the remaining percentage. I can only hope that I won't run into this performance issue right in the middle of a bíg take! :shock:

HTH,

Mike

AndyE
Expert

Re: "Out of Memory" Observation

Post by AndyE » Fri Nov 14, 2014 12:15 pm

I will definitely be keeping my eye on that. Good post. Thanks.

Navpack
Expert

Post by Navpack » Fri Nov 14, 2014 12:26 pm

Good tip. Thanks Mike.

phil.

martygras
Expert

Post by martygras » Fri Nov 14, 2014 5:33 pm

Thanks Mike. Yeah I'll have to keep an eye out for this.
Marty Schulte [I'm a drummer. So, there's that.]
iPad AIR(128), Akai EIE, Akai EWI USB, illudium q-36 explosive space modulator
Head First Audio (live sound for Southern Oregon, USA)