Is it safe

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

Devp
Expert

Is it safe

Post by Devp » Fri Nov 14, 2014 8:17 am

I'm thinking about updating to ios8 now that the latest auria update is released
Currently running ios6 on ipad 4 and it works great
Are there any problems with updating
And in what order do I do it
Ie iOS update then auria or visa versa ?

mtingle
Expert

Re: Is it safe

Post by mtingle » Fri Nov 14, 2014 5:53 pm

it would appear that your configuration is optimum and not to upgrade. at least from reading Anthony's post here:

http://www.auriaapp.com/forum/viewtopic ... 5&start=45

Devp
Expert

Post by Devp » Sun Nov 16, 2014 2:54 am

Thanks for the link
Will stick with it for now

Dylan

Post by Dylan » Sun Nov 16, 2014 11:43 am

I'm currently running Auria on an ipad2 and am seriously considering upgrading to a new ipad Air2. The Auria user experience is fantastic and ideally I'd like to be able to run more tracks without freezing them. I've read some of the positive and negative comments on using the Air2 with Auria and am hoping that these issues will be ironed out in the next iOS update. The way the ipad has been set up, ie, if it is a clean install or if it has been restored from a back up certainly seems like an important factor to consider, but I really doubt that the Apple Air2 hardware is a 'lemon'. Surely not! Hopefully Rim will get a response from Apple sooner rather than later regarding the CPU spikes to do with the mixer scrolling on the Air2 and we will see great software running on the latest iOS without these niggles.

Does anyone know if there is a difference between buying a 64GB Air2 as opposed to a 128GB in terms of the way RAM is handled? I'm aware that one has twice the storage space of the other but does the iPad use any of this disk space as virtual RAM for example? If so, it would certainly make sense to go for the 128GB option. Can anyone chime in with their thoughts here? Cheers. :)

Tarekith
Expert

Post by Tarekith » Sun Nov 16, 2014 6:18 pm

Nope, you get 2GB of RAM either way.

CEIsar
Expert

Post by CEIsar » Mon Nov 17, 2014 8:31 am

if you are interested in buying an Air 2 i recommend reading what Antony Alves and i wrote on page 4 and 5 about It:

http://auriaapp.com/forum/viewtopic.php ... 5&start=45
iPad Air 2 - WiFI - 128GB - iOS 9.1 - Auria Pro 2.01 - Roland Duo Capture EX

Dylan

Post by Dylan » Mon Nov 17, 2014 11:09 am

CEIsar wrote:if you are interested in buying an Air 2 i recommend reading what Antony Alves and i wrote on page 4 and 5 about It:

http://auriaapp.com/forum/viewtopic.php ... 5&start=45
Thanks CEIsar. I did read his post and have also seen your latest one on that thread. I'm sure it's just a matter of time before things run smoothly and Apple address the issue.

I don't really want to buy the first ipad Air and then wish I had waited for the fix. The Air 2 is a mighty powerful tablet and it's just a shame this power cannot be unleashed until these bugs are squashed. I'm kinda thinking I should put my faith in the Air 2 as it is the latest iPad from Apple and developers should be able to write the code they desire without facing such setbacks. I'm sure Rim will update us as soon as he hears some news. The support on here is second to none! :)

CEIsar
Expert

Post by CEIsar » Mon Nov 17, 2014 11:40 am

Of course,coming from an ipad 2 it's a HUGE improvement anyway.Afaik the Air 2 is 10x as powerful as the ipad 2.I had a Mini Retina before and that's the reason why i currently feel a little disappointed.That said,even if it's up to apple to fix the two big issues (scrollview and Ram bug)there's still a third core sleeping and i can imagine it's up to the devs to"activate"it.So i hope at least for an Auria update that will wake it up...

I think the Air 2 is quite future proof with all the sleeping power under the hood.From february on apple will also force every dev to release updates and new apps in native 64bit.This should give another boost for owners of A7 and upwards processors.
iPad Air 2 - WiFI - 128GB - iOS 9.1 - Auria Pro 2.01 - Roland Duo Capture EX

mtingle
Expert

Post by mtingle » Mon Nov 17, 2014 12:03 pm

I wonder if it's an Apple hardware bug because they used cheap RAM? If that's the case you'll have to wait for the air 3...

MikeDee
Expert

Post by MikeDee » Mon Nov 17, 2014 2:34 pm

From an audio standpoint, there is no real benefit from an extra processor, either physical or virtual. No matter how much faster a processor or core processes and moves the data than the other(s), the system has to wait for the other processor(s) or core(s) to catch up so that the data can be serialized and sent out as a continuous audio stream.

The benefit might lie elsewhere, such as processing all of the audio on one processor or core, while the video and other tasks are handled by the other(s). Even if one has to wait for the other, such "load balancing" might be beneficial.

Perhaps iOS 8 is causing an issue by arbitrarily assigning tasks to whichever core it deems fit at whatever time. This could screw up audio (among other things) réàl bad....

Just my 2¢. :)

Mike

Dylan

Post by Dylan » Tue Nov 18, 2014 7:00 am

mtingle wrote:I wonder if it's an Apple hardware bug because they used cheap RAM? If that's the case you'll have to wait for the air 3...
Good Lord, I hope not! Ideally, I'd like to purchase an Air 2 during the November sales and hopefully Apple will do a decent deal on Black Friday this year. There's no way I'll be waiting for the next generation iPad. If the hardware is faulty, I'll be sending mine back and switching to Android!! :mrgreen: