New version submitted and approved - 1.154

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

Rim
Site Admin

New version submitted and approved - 1.154

Post by Rim » Thu Nov 06, 2014 4:28 pm

I submitted a new version yesterday, and it was approved already today (that was fast!):

- Fixed issue with iPad Air 2 models and high CPU usage during scrolling
- Made recording post-processing phase more robust to protect against loss of audio in very long recordings
- Improved memory usage when using channel strips
- Made saving more robust to protect against corrupt projects

Rim

Sinapsya
Expert

Re: New version submitted and approved - 1.154

Post by Sinapsya » Thu Nov 06, 2014 4:42 pm

Good, when Pro-Q2???

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Thu Nov 06, 2014 4:45 pm

Not sure, they didn't say. FabFilter has been busy with some other things lately, but I'll ask again.

Rim

Sinapsya
Expert

Post by Sinapsya » Thu Nov 06, 2014 5:01 pm

I really love Microwarmer....how about VintageWarmer??

lukebredin

Post by lukebredin » Thu Nov 06, 2014 5:36 pm

Awesome. I look forward to ProQ2 coming as well, great EQ :)

sELF
Expert

Post by sELF » Fri Nov 07, 2014 1:28 am

Fast work Rim. Cool :)

Jus
Expert

Post by Jus » Fri Nov 07, 2014 1:44 am

I'm getting the CPU warning all the time on my ipad 4 ios8
I only have two tracks
One has overloud PSP delay and piano reverb (3 plugs)
The other track has no plugs it's just a stereo track
30 gb free close all apps and restart iPad press play it plays for about 5-10 seconds then stops get the warning
Tried new projects and all sorts still the same
Any suggestions :cry:

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Fri Nov 07, 2014 7:58 am

That's unrelated to the bug fixed in this version. The bug we're talking about is something which only appears on an iPad Air 2, and is an Apple issue. I added a workaround to get around this bug. It's related to graphics scrolling only.

It's not uncommon to get CPU warnings for other various reasons. Some things to check:

- Auria likes to run with a large buffer size (4096). This allows you to achieve low CPU usage while playing back your tracks through plugins. However, two things can cause the buffer size to get set to a low setting: Running Auria in Audiobus mode (this is a setting in Auria's settings page). If this mode is on, Auria uses a smaller buffer size during playback, which makes it possible to use Auria in conjunction with other apps (either Audiobus or IAA). The trouble with using Audiobus mode is the CPU usage goes up as well. So if you're not using Auria with other apps, leave this off. Another source of low buffer sizes is having another audio app running at the same time as Auria. Most other audio apps run with very low buffer sizes. The way iOS works, the first app to run gets to determine the buffer size for everyone else. So if you launch Auria after another audio app is already running, it's possible Auria will be using that low buffer size and the CPU usage will go up.

- The buffer size also goes up when you record enable a track. Record enabling a track causes Auria to switch to a lower buffer size (whatever you have set in the settings page for Record Latency).

- Sometimes the iPad just needs to be rebooted. We've noticed iOS8 uses a lot of RAM for some random reason, and rebooting it helps reclaim the RAM. Maybe the same is true for CPU usage. It's too early to tell.

Rim

mtingle
Expert

Post by mtingle » Fri Nov 07, 2014 9:45 am

Good news, the CPU bug has gone with the air 2. The only caveat is the mixer window scrolling is now not as smooth. It's kind of 'raggedey' and not as professional as before. Still better that the CPU bug.

Thinking out loud,could this issue with the mixer screen creating CPU spikes be connected to the issue with being unable to group faders (same bug affecting both)? They are both relate to the mixer screen and both involve touching the screen. And both have gone funny on the latest iOS and auria update.

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Fri Nov 07, 2014 9:55 am

The bug is an iOS bug that only appears to affect iPad Air 2. It happens on any app that uses a scrollview control (the type of control used in both the mixer and the editor). I discovered a workaround that involves putting a small delay into the scrolling, and this eliminates the problem completely. However, as you noticed, the scrolling is not quite as smooth. I figure that's better than having CPU spikes in the audio thread! My workaround code is only active on Air 2 models, and I'll remove it once Apple fixes the issue.

Rim

mtingle
Expert

Post by mtingle » Fri Nov 07, 2014 10:30 am

Indeed.

New issue with final touch app. It's only operating on the left channel only and the iPad mic is permanently on when used as an IAA on a channel. Yesterday, it all worked fine with the old build.

mtingle
Expert

Post by mtingle » Fri Nov 07, 2014 10:33 am

Rim wrote:the type of control used in both the mixer and the editor.

Rim
P.s. It didn't affect the edit window. I couldn't get the cpu message to trigger in this panel

CEIsar
Expert

Post by CEIsar » Fri Nov 07, 2014 11:46 am

The update comes right on time.I'm just playing arround the first half an hour with Auria on my new Air 2 and first thing i noticed was quite heavy stuttering on the MIXER page,lol.At least THAT page never made problems,even on my iPad 2 :)
iPad Air 2 - WiFI - 128GB - iOS 9.1 - Auria Pro 2.01 - Roland Duo Capture EX

CEIsar
Expert

Post by CEIsar » Fri Nov 07, 2014 11:58 am

wait,I AM already using 1.154 :(

Well,yeah see above.Mixerpage stutters...no matter which project.Even in a new project with just some empty tracks added and no fx.

I alreeady had a restart and a soft reset etc (i also had the problem first with 1GB ram not showing up in Auria and the soft reset did the trick)
iPad Air 2 - WiFI - 128GB - iOS 9.1 - Auria Pro 2.01 - Roland Duo Capture EX

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Fri Nov 07, 2014 1:09 pm

Can you define "stuttering"? Do you mean the audio is dropping out?

mtingle: As far as IAAs, nothing has changed in this version related to IAAs. Maybe there's something else going on, like an iOS update. What else have you changed since this Auria update? Also, I found that any page using a scrollview could cause this problem. In Auria that means the mixer, the editor and a few other screens like the store screen). So I fixed all of them.

Rim