Auria - Max Tracks 96k on iPad 2

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

peteT
Expert

Auria - Max Tracks 96k on iPad 2

Post by peteT » Tue Oct 21, 2014 9:35 am

Hi,

I am using a Focusrite 18i6 and am getting failed recordings @ 96k using only 6 tracks simultaneously in record. I am sure when I first had Auria I was getting a better track count. This is using the 8 analogue inputs on the unit with no spdif or adat inputs; internal sync.

I am currently using Auria 1.151 and iOS7 on iPad 2 as I would like iOS8 and Auria to stabalise particularly in relation to iPad 2.

I know there have always been problems for everyone on the iPad recording @ 96k to Focusrite ADAT inputs i.e. it doesn't work at all -- and Focusrite seem unwilling to come up with a solution. Maybe they are just happier to sell their Tracker Pad & their own software !!

My 6 track record is a straightforward simultaneous recording of all 6 tracks with no plugins and 30% disc space remaining. The record fails after about 1 to 2 mins with the following settings:
Core Audio (both Legacy and Standard settings);
Record Latency: 4096;
Disk Buffer: Large;
USB Soft start Off (as recommended by Rim some time ago).

I am at a stage where I am about to drop Focusrite as they have failed to come up with promised implementation of ADAT for 96k (they do advertise their units being capable of 96k i.e. for ADAT that is 4 tracks rather than the usual 8 tracks for standard sampling rates 44.1 & 48k). Though I have gripes here about Focusrite I appreciate the quality of their units, but maybe they are not for iPad @ 96k. This also applies to the 18i20 in relation to ADAT @ 96. I was promised by their tech support here in the UK some years ago that they were looking into the USB problems in relation to 96k ADAT inputs and would address this in a firmware update for the 18i6 and 18i20. For these units to sell for use with the iPad as recording devices @ 96k they do need to function first!!

I would like to explore the RME UFX unit, so would appreciate users comments on the RME at 96k with iPad. I also appreciate the fact that this unit records to USB stick as backup for 24 or 26 tracks @ 96k which is an astonishing feat by RME engineers.

I appreciate the fact that engineers in general have managed 96k record for an iPad and this is no mean fete. It may simply be that I have to find the right unit.

The purpose of this post is for any feedback from users with experience of good max track counts in Auria @ 96k and for any feedback on users experience @ 96k particularly with Focusrite or RME UFX units.

Thanks to all participants in advance.

PeteT

drock
Expert

Re: Auria - Max Tracks 96k on iPad 2

Post by drock » Wed Oct 22, 2014 12:19 pm

Hey Pete, so I'm actually recording a whole album in 96 with physical instruments on the iPad. I'm currently using an iPad 4 to record it all and I've been using a PreSonus 1818VSL, when I first did drums, I used all 8 channels in 96 and had no problems. Granted, I always kept the iPad in airplane mode and ONLY used it for recording music (not for fun or whatever).

I'm in the process right now of re-recording instruments, for the bass, electric & acoustic guitar, I'm still using the presonus but I JUST bought a used UFX on eBay as well as a Focusrite OctoPre II when I re-record drums, I'll have a ton of channels to finally do it right this time. I'll use all 12 channels of the ufx and then maybe 2 or more from the octopre via adat. The point is, I'm gonna use way more channels for drums now than I didi originally...I have access to a huge sound room, an amazing DW kit and I'm a better player than I was when I started this project...those are the reasons why i'm redoing it all.

So! With all that being said - I'll let you know how it goes. I'll be hooking it up sometime soon, within the next couple weeks. Its a slow process for me since I'm all by myself learning as I go, step by step on a very part time schedule.
Hopefully this helps

-Derek

peteT
Expert

Post by peteT » Wed Oct 29, 2014 8:44 am

Hi Derek,

Thanks for your feedback. I have since succeeded in getting more tracks recording from analogue inputs @ 96k (6 tracks!!). I realise that Use FX while in Record Mode was ON. I don't remember engaging this, so am wondering if it was ON by DEFAULT in Auria version: 1.151. I turned this off and got some improvement. I am currently holding off iOS8 or 8.1 until the dust settles and also latest version of Auria.

Very interested to hear of your plans for the RME UFX. I would be particularly interested to hear how you get on with ADAT input channels at 96k. Focusrite have not successfully managed this. RME have done some great work on this.

Look forward to hearing your results.

Pete

ezee63

Post by ezee63 » Thu Oct 30, 2014 8:58 pm

Hullo, I've been in the music industry making records since 1985. The last 12 years I have been Mastering Records as well as Recording and Producing them. I can count on two fingers the number of albums I have been asked by clients to record above 48K 24bit! I often wonder why people go through the hassles, headaches and frustrations of recording at 96k. It really taxes your system eats up resources and requires double the storage space file size wise. At the end of the day the majority of the record buying or streaming public are listening to your carefully crafted music and mega buck investments in gear through... a crappy pair of earbuds, their laptop or mobile phone speakers.. streaming from the internet.. sometimes in mono and it's a low quality MP3!!!
There are bucket loads of Grammy winning 'best engineered' 'best produced' and or 'album of the year' records out there that are of absolute stunning quality and recorded at yer average industry standard 48k 24bit. Some even 44/16.
This is not ment to be a criticism of your quest to make an album on an ipad at 96k. I guess it's more of an encouragement to stick with 48k and invest your time making the best music you can and not let the technology get in the way.
Cheers.
e

AndyE
Expert

Post by AndyE » Mon Nov 17, 2014 1:02 pm

I think we can all learn something from the advice given by ezee63. Technology is like a girlfriend, really useful at times but it'll mainly just p##s you off.