IPad Air 2 Ram?

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

Anthony Alves
Expert

Re: IPad Air 2 Ram?

Post by Anthony Alves » Sat Nov 15, 2014 8:54 am

Yes I did restore from a backup as I have tons of music apps to load and all their IAP and Samples in the 3,000 range so a backup is the usual way I do it. I never experienced this on any other restore backup I've done but I will think about clearing the iPad Air 2 and manually installing everything. Thanks for your help. Cheers.
~~_/)~~~*

CEIsar
Expert

Post by CEIsar » Sat Nov 15, 2014 9:08 am

It was just a wild guess anyway.I had also no problem to use my backup from iPad4 and restored it on a mini retina.Just wanted to make it"perfect"this time and i was bored this day :)

To be honest,i have two issues that i didn't had before with Auria:CPU spikes when scrolling the mixer window fast.Rim already explained it of course,i was just surprised to see that even with Rims fix,the cpu spike stopped the sequencer (cpu draw was arround 55%).The second issue,IR files in convo reverb all gone in older projects.I have to reload the plugin to get them back.But this one is not critical cause i still have my Mini Retina so i can have a look which IRs i used.
iPad Air 2 - WiFI - 128GB - iOS 9.1 - Auria Pro 2.01 - Roland Duo Capture EX

CEIsar
Expert

Post by CEIsar » Mon Nov 17, 2014 8:27 am

@Anthony Alves:

unfortunately i have to revert my statement about not having the problems you described.I had long production sessions the last 3 days,mostly with Auria and unfortunately i have to agree with most what you wrote.Yes,the Air 2 gives me a bit more power to work but whenever i reach the 50% mark,Auria most often stops the sequencer with a"low CPU"warning whnever i scroll the mixer just a LITTLE faster due to cpu spikes.Sometimes i saw really wild jumps of the cpu display even with stopped sequencer.Another thing is Ram.Yes,it's there but it seems Auria is not releasing it properly.Even when force quit Auria,some of the Ram is still blocked and i have to soft reset the Air to get it back.I had once a jump from a couple of hundred MB to 30 MB just in a few minutes after i prelistened to a lot of loops.And Auria kept the space,not releasing it again.

IAA seems another hit or miss thing.I wanted to record sounds from Alchemy and while i got it working once,i never got it to work afterwards,always failed no matter what i tried.IF i got sounds out of it they sounded like i had way to low latency choosen but increasing the latency (up to the highest possible)did not make any difference,even not after a restart.

So,i'm sadly another one (i always buy a new ipad asap mainly for Auria) that have to admit that Auria runs (currently) poorly on the Air 2.But all other tasks performs great,the Air 2 is literally flying with anything else.Not that i use much other stuff that can stress the hardware like Auria can do.I'm sure it's only a matter of time though (again) as i couldn't wish a better support from a company like the Auria support :)

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Mon Nov 17, 2014 8:44 am

We've seen both of these issues here. The Air 2 seems to have some kind of strange bug in the scrollview control. Any kind of scrolling on one of those controls will spike the CPU in the audio thread. It's hard to notice in other apps, because you need to be using a lot of CPU to begin with.

The second problem you mention is also something I've seen, but it's not an Auria-specific issue either. Auria releases all its memory when you force quit. In fact, iOS guarantees this to be the case. In iOS, even if an app forgets to release some RAM, iOS does the job for you when you force quit. There's some issue in iOS8 (or the Air 2) which causes the memory usage to remain high until you actually reboot the device in some cases.

Apple is aware of both issues, so hopefully we'll see a solution soon.

Rim

CEIsar
Expert

Post by CEIsar » Mon Nov 17, 2014 8:49 am

Ah yeah,i should have be more clear.You already admitted the scrollview bug is Air 2 exclusive while the other flaws are probably iOS8 related.I came from 7.1.2 when i bought the Air 2 so i can't seperate what is iOS related and what not.

Dylan

Post by Dylan » Tue Nov 18, 2014 1:33 pm

Well iOS 8.1.1 is now out, so fingers crossed on Apple squashing those bugs otherwise we'll have to wait for the next update.

mtingle
Expert

Post by mtingle » Tue Nov 18, 2014 5:04 pm

well I didn't expect it so soon, but the new 8.1.1 update (after a reboot) shows non of the cpu screen spikes on a project from earlier today that was spiking all the time.

More testing to do but it looks promising so far...

CEIsar
Expert

Post by CEIsar » Thu Nov 20, 2014 6:43 am

mtingle wrote:well I didn't expect it so soon, but the new 8.1.1 update (after a reboot) shows non of the cpu screen spikes on a project from earlier today that was spiking all the time.

More testing to do but it looks promising so far...
it seems you are right,i couldn't test it further now but my current project (which gave me a lot of"low cpu"warnings when scrolling the mixer) doesn't do it anymore (only tested a couple of minutes but with some wild/fast mixer movements).Can anyone else confirm this (Rim,Anthony..)?

CEIsar
Expert

Post by CEIsar » Sat Nov 22, 2014 11:27 am

I have tested more now and stressed the cpu a little more (roundabout 60-70%),result:cpu meter was"rock solid",no weird jumps,no"low cpu"warnings even with very fast mixer movements (21 tracks).I would say apple really fixed it :D

So,Rim.Can we please have the smooth mixer back :wink:

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Sat Nov 22, 2014 12:00 pm

Unfortunately, Apple did not fix this yet. I've done some very extensive testing with this and found that 8.1.1 is a little better, but if I remove the workaround, the problem quickly returns. In other words, my current workaround when combined with iOS 8.1.1 works well now, and the issue is pretty difficult to create. But it's not gone. The workaround is just doing its job.

Apple has escalated the bug report, and I heard news that the proper team is looking into it.

Rim

CEIsar
Expert

Post by CEIsar » Sat Nov 22, 2014 5:18 pm

Thanks for letting us know.Well,at least your fix is working as it should now.
Definitely much better with 8.1.1 but of course i'm looking forward to the day when we get the smooth scrolling back.

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Sat Nov 22, 2014 5:28 pm

Me too!

Rim

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Mon Jan 26, 2015 12:32 pm

No, nothing further from Apple.

Rim

Mucci

Post by Mucci » Tue Jan 27, 2015 2:20 am

I'm on latest iOs with an iPad Air 2 and never had this cpu spike thing. Yes the CPU meter is always in an impulsive move, but that's all I got...
Last Sunday,I woke up and started recording a song and finished at about 18 tracks and started mixing in the afternoon. Used a lot of plugins like ProQ, ProC, Microwarmer, Pianoverb2 on individual tracks. No Audiobus, some IAA but mostly acoustic, electric and bass guitars. Never had a crush or anyhting. Did a lot of scrolling when editing and mixing too. I feel lucky I never get these troubles I hear around here. I guess my projects are somehow a little lightweight than others on CPU... Well, just to let readers know as a reference...

Fitz
Expert

Post by Fitz » Tue Jan 27, 2015 5:31 am

I did a test on another thread where I didn't have any problems. I didn't do any scrolling though. Later I started a project, still with no scrolling, and with nowhere near the same amount of effects etc and the Air 2 started to act strange. Cpu jumping around randomly. I closed the project and reopened and everything was fine again!