presonus faderport with interface

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

spuds0828

presonus faderport with interface

Post by spuds0828 » Fri Oct 10, 2014 12:05 pm

Good day everyone I have the presonus vsl1818 as my interface for auria...my question is since the usb is already being used for the interface can I connect the presonus faderport into the usb hub and can it control auria even though the interface takes precidence...any help would be great...

martygras
Expert

Re: presonus faderport with interface

Post by martygras » Fri Oct 10, 2014 6:44 pm

Theoretically, yes. Only one audio interface can be used at a time with iOS devices, but I have an Akai EWI which is a controller as well as an oxygen-8 keyboard w/ knobs all going through the same usb hub.

Unless the Faderport has something wacky going on, it should be able to be added to the usb hub that the audio interface is plugged into.

Would like to know if you are successful.
Marty Schulte [I'm a drummer. So, there's that.]
iPad AIR(128), Akai EIE, Akai EWI USB, illudium q-36 explosive space modulator
Head First Audio (live sound for Southern Oregon, USA)

Anthony Alves
Expert

Post by Anthony Alves » Sat Oct 11, 2014 5:35 am

It sure can. I have been usimg my FaderPort for a couple of years now with Auria and everything works fine. The FaderPort is not an audio device like your Presonus so it's just like pluging in a midi controller. And yes the powered hub is how you connect it to the chain of midi inputs to your iPad. I use mine connected to an MAudio and Focusrite audio interfaces with no problems. There is one thing to watch and that is that the FaderPort is usb 1.0 not 2.0 and up. This means that when connected to a powered usb hub, all devices connected to the same usb hub will now operate at usb 1.0. This can be a problem with some devices that need to operate at usb 2.0 or above. The FaderPort also interfers with some iOS synth and drum apps. So if you hear some Strange noises coming from your synth app, disconnect the FaderPort to lay your synth part down. There is no problem when working with audio and Auria's plugins just some midi synth apps and not many just a few. This problem has been less and less since iOS 8. Good luck.
Cheers. ~~_/)~~~*

spuds0828

Post by spuds0828 » Mon Oct 13, 2014 9:16 am

martygras wrote:Theoretically, yes. Only one audio interface can be used at a time with iOS devices, but I have an Akai EWI which is a controller as well as an oxygen-8 keyboard w/ knobs all going through the same usb hub.

Unless the Faderport has something wacky going on, it should be able to be added to the usb hub that the audio interface is plugged into.

Would like to know if you are successful.

will let you know asap

spuds0828

Post by spuds0828 » Mon Oct 13, 2014 9:17 am

Anthony Alves wrote:It sure can. I have been usimg my FaderPort for a couple of years now with Auria and everything works fine. The FaderPort is not an audio device like your Presonus so it's just like pluging in a midi controller. And yes the powered hub is how you connect it to the chain of midi inputs to your iPad. I use mine connected to an MAudio and Focusrite audio interfaces with no problems. There is one thing to watch and that is that the FaderPort is usb 1.0 not 2.0 and up. This means that when connected to a powered usb hub, all devices connected to the same usb hub will now operate at usb 1.0. This can be a problem with some devices that need to operate at usb 2.0 or above. The FaderPort also interfers with some iOS synth and drum apps. So if you hear some Strange noises coming from your synth app, disconnect the FaderPort to lay your synth part down. There is no problem when working with audio and Auria's plugins just some midi synth apps and not many just a few. This problem has been less and less since iOS 8. Good luck.
Cheers. ~~_/)~~~*

thank you anthony and yes i noticed you were using it in your My auria world music video which was great by the way...actually that is what spawned the question...thank you for the help!

miguelmarcos
Expert

Post by miguelmarcos » Sun Oct 19, 2014 6:12 pm

Hi, Faderport users. Got a question. Do/Can you use the Faderport in other music making apps on the iPad? Any examples?

Anthony Alves
Expert

Post by Anthony Alves » Tue Oct 21, 2014 4:01 am

No unfortunately. The FaderPort is a HUI language controller and that language is not standard midi messages. No other iPad daw other than Auria can be controlled by the FaderPort. It can be used with Daws on your Desktop audio like Logic and Cubase and some ProTools. Keep your eyes out for the Berhinger X-Touch which allows you to switch the controller from Mackie HUI language
( controls Auria ) and standard midi ( controls all midi apps) anytime. The X-Touch also has 9 faders compared to the single fader on the FaderPort. Although these have not been shipped out yet, they are destined to be available before christmas. I am waiting to see a review on it when it is released as I want to know more about the quality of the faders. The build looks very good but you never know till you get some feedback from users of the product. Hope this helped. And thanks for the kind words on My Auria World video. Even though the song was produced just over a year ago, it continues to gain thousands of views and great comments on YouTube, Google, Fandalism and Soundcloud. Cheers. ~~_/)~~~*

miguelmarcos
Expert

Post by miguelmarcos » Tue Oct 21, 2014 3:27 pm

Thanks, Anthony, that was very helpful. The Behringer sounds great.