Cant hear my plugins

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

sutrobath
Expert

Cant hear my plugins

Post by sutrobath » Mon Aug 25, 2014 12:04 pm

I have 2 issues that I have searched and researched hi and low for to no avail....

1. When I am in AURIA and arm a track to record electric guitar, I chose my amp plugin but cannot hear it- All I can hear is the clean, un-effected signal of the electric guitar. Can someone please tell me how to address this?

2. I can play my iRig Pro Keys with the piano software while outside of AURIA, but when I open AURIA and look at my plug ins, the piano plug in is not listed. When I close AURIA and open the piano sim, I can play it with my iRig and hear it fine. Any Thoughts???

3. I have SUPER MANETRON snyth simulator. As a stand alone, I can play it via my fingers on the virtual keyboard and it works fine, but when I plug in my iRig Pro Keys, it doesn't respond to the keyboard. Help!

4. My SUPER MANETRON plug in does not show up as a listed plug in when I open AURIA and view the plug ins. All the amp/reverb plug ins are there, but my piano and synthesizer plug ins do not show.

I have already tracked and record acoustic guitars via my APOGEE ONE and have no problem. Its just that my keyboard plugins don't show, don't play and although my electric guitar amp plug ins show, I cant for the life of me hear them when Im in AURIA.

Any suggestions or clear direction is appreciated. Ive been through the LYNDA courses and non of them that I have viewed or read a description of has addressed this issue, hence Im reaching out for help on this forum.

Washboy
Expert

Re: Cant hear my plugins

Post by Washboy » Mon Aug 25, 2014 2:05 pm

1. Which amp sim are you using? Does it support IAA (Inter-App Audio)?
2. Which piano sim are you using? Does it support IAA?
3. I don't have Super Manetron so I can't tell you exactly what to do here but you probably need to go into SM's settings and configure MIDI.
4. Does Super Manetron support IAA (or only Audiobus)?

Remember that only Auria plug-ins and IAA-enabled apps will show up in Auria's plug-ins list. Audiobus-enabled apps do not (unless they also support IAA, of course). Maybe your piano sim is not IAA-enabled.

Also, if you can't hear anything from an app when any other app is in the foreground, you need to make sure that 'Background Audio' enabled in the settings of the background app.

sutrobath
Expert

Post by sutrobath » Mon Aug 25, 2014 2:13 pm

I purchased all my apps through the ipad store in Auria, hence I assumed they would be compatable. Ive never worked with MIDI so Im not familiar with how to set it up. Unfortunately, there is no MIDI section under the LYNDA tutriorials for ipad. As for Audiobus, Im just getting into that.

Washboy
Expert

Post by Washboy » Mon Aug 25, 2014 3:02 pm

sutrobath wrote:I purchased all my apps through the ipad store in Auria, hence I assumed they would be compatable.
It is not possible to purchase Super Manetron or a piano sim in the Auria Store. You most likely purchased them in Apple's App Store. There is an amp sim plug-in (THM Overloud) in the Auria Store. Is that what you're using? It's difficult to advise without knowing which apps you're trying to make work.
sutrobath wrote:Ive never worked with MIDI so Im not familiar with how to set it up. Unfortunately, there is no MIDI section under the LYNDA tutriorials for ipad. As for Audiobus, Im just getting into that.
MIDI can be confusing on iOS but since you are already successfully using an external MIDI keyboard with a piano sim on your iPad, getting it to work with Super Manetron should be straightforward. I've had no success locating a User Guide for SM so (unless someone else here can chime in) you'll have to help me help you. Can you locate a Settings or configuration section in SM (or any mention of MIDI onscreen)?

EDIT: I've just read that SM doesn't have any MIDI config - it simply accepts all incoming Core MIDI. So it should just work. As an experiment, try killing/quitting all running apps, connect your keyboard, then launch SM and keep it in the foreground. Does SM play when you use the external keyboard now?

EDIT2: If your piano sim app is IKMultimedia's iGrand Piano (or the free version) then it's not IAA-enabled and so won't show up in Auria's FX plug-ins list.

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Mon Aug 25, 2014 5:25 pm

Also, since you're using Auria with other apps, I strongly recommend going into Auria's settings and enabling Audiobus Mode (even if you're not using Audiobus). This will make Auria more compatible with other apps, and might be the reason it's not working.

Rim

sutrobath
Expert

Post by sutrobath » Mon Aug 25, 2014 6:33 pm

I have the following apps available as plyug ins:
AMPLITUBE
IGRAND PIANO
MANETRON2
FENDER AMPLITUBE
ORANGE AMPLITUBE
SLASH AMPLITUBE

IGRAN PIANO and MANETRON2 do not show up under INSERTS on the channel strip.

I turned on AUDIOBUS MODE and AUDIOBUS LIVE MONTIORING in SETTINGS as was suggested.
Should I also turn off BUILT IN SPEAKER/MIC PROCESSING?

I will check to see if this works when I get home tonight and update my progess of this forum. Thank you to all who have offered their advice! :D

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Mon Aug 25, 2014 8:12 pm

Let us know how it works for you. I would leave the speaker/mic processing to ON.

Rim

mrufino1
Expert

Post by mrufino1 » Mon Aug 25, 2014 8:16 pm

So with the exception of super manetron, all of the apps you listed are by ik. It was said above that igrand is not IAA capable and therefore will not show up as an insert, but I know it works in audiobus. I have super manetron and irig keys, I'll check them later.
Jamup pro is IAA compatible, as is tonestack. Overloud is inside auria. So if amplitube is not IAA compatible then unless you are opposed to audiobus, one of those options would be your best bet.

Washboy
Expert

Post by Washboy » Mon Aug 25, 2014 8:59 pm

OK, so iGrand Piano and Super Manetron won't show up in the Channel Strip Inserts list because they are neither Auria Plug-ins nor IAA-enabled apps. They are Audiobus compatible, however, so you could use them as inputs via Audiobus.

Regarding insert effects in Auria: be aware that, by default, Auria will record an input 'dry', i.e. without effects. The effects are applied during playback or mixdown or when a track is 'frozen'. Therefore, don't expect Auria to record your guitar with the Amplitube FX automatically.

When you record enable your guitar track you should hear the Amplitube-processed signal (if not, check 'Menu -> Settings -> Record(tab)' and make sure "Disable Effects While Recording=NO").

If you want to record what you're hearing from Amplitube, you need to enable Record Effects for that track (press & hold the track's "Rec" button to bring up options and tap on "Record Effects" if it does not have a tick mark beside it - or tap it again, if you want to un-tick it).

Don't forget to disable or remove the Amplitube insert when you playback that track otherwise your already Amplitubed audio will be fed back through Amplitube again!

sutrobath
Expert

Post by sutrobath » Tue Aug 26, 2014 11:03 pm

Thanks so much for the help- I didn't know that. I wish the LYNDA tutorial went over this stuff, as its a very major part of recording into AURIA, otherwise whats the point of purchasing plug ins if you have to spend hours trying to figure them out.

I spent the day tracking an acoustic track for our next CD. Results were excellent. I used the APOGEE ONE as the interface and added some of the Auria effects. One thing though: When I finished recording I disconnected Apogge via the ipad. I heard a loud, shrill and short squeal and released I should have powered off the Apogee before I disconnected. Anyways, after that I plugged in my headphones to the ipad to admire my work and...nothing. When I unplugged the headphones, the tiny ipad speaker came on and I could hear my mix. I plugged in the headphones again and could hear nothing. I checked and double checked audia 'settings and tried both turning off and turning on the internal ipad mic-no headphones. I then went into the Apogee app 'MAESTRO' and when looking at the two meters for mic and instrument (they are side by side) the meters were jumping all over the place as if music was playing. I re-opened Auria to see if I had left the tracks playing when I closed out and found that nothing was playing. Very curious. Long story, but eventually it took 2 reboots to my ipad and the problem resolved itself. Weird.