Can we have an option to show the waveform?

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

Logictree

Can we have an option to show the waveform?

Post by Logictree » Mon Aug 25, 2014 9:34 am

It is an old habit, I like to see the waveform when I'm recording. I researched the forum and found that not displaying waveform in recording could reduce the CPU consuming. It is very hard to believe because all the other apps I tried, like Beatmaker or Multitrack DAW both can handle that task very easily (and they display waveform in retina level). Why is it a big problem in Auria? It is a $50 app for God sake. It should be better in every way.
This is one of two things I miss so much from Multitrack DAW. The other thing is fixed track height.
If I'm always recording one instrument one time, does displaying waveform still have heavy impact on CPU?
If not, can we have at least an option to allow waveform displayed in recording.

Anthony Alves
Expert

Re: Can we have an option to show the waveform?

Post by Anthony Alves » Mon Aug 25, 2014 11:23 am

Auria handles its cpu usage very wisely. Auria allows for audio tracks to be recorded with the effects live and can print the track with the effects. Drawing a waveform and acomplishing this task would greatly reduce the cpu performance. As for myself , coming from analog tape recording, I feel no need to watch a waveform draw as I'm concentrating on my vocal part or guitar line ect. If I do watch anything it's my VU meter so as to avoid cliping. Why do you like to see the waveform draw while recording? Auria's track hieght is only set while only one track has been recorded. After the second track is recorded you can now set the track hieght that you would like to see by pinching the wave drawn on the track. One thing I don't like about MultiTrack Daw is that I can't set the waveform hieght and how after just a few tracks recorded with effects activated, the app has to optimize performance and this can take a while when many tracks are running. Garageband does this too but not Auria. The list of features included in Auria with the $50 price tag is very extensive and impressive. It is why we all purchased it and we all use it for our most serious recordings. Auria needs to be different or it simply wouldn't be the Auria we all love. Cheers. ~~_/)~~~*

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Mon Aug 25, 2014 5:33 pm

I decided to not implement displaying the waveform while recording because the iPad 2 and 3 models have a bug that causes clicking when using a USB interface if the app you're using uses too much RAM at any one time. This was fixed by Apple in the iPad 4 and later models, but on the iPad 2/3, any retina graphics or other memory intensive functions made the problem appear for us, so I chose not to stress the graphics too much while recording (recording, incidentally was the most critical time for this bug to show up).

It's not as much of an issue now, as most users have upgraded their iPads, so I might revisit adding this to a future version.

Rim

Logictree

Post by Logictree » Mon Aug 25, 2014 10:14 pm

Anthony Alves wrote:As for myself , coming from analog tape recording, I feel no need to watch a waveform draw as I'm concentrating on my vocal part or guitar line ect. If I do watch anything it's my VU meter so as to avoid cliping. Why do you like to see the waveform draw while recording?
See, that's the problem. I never using any analog devices, I started with Cubase many years ago. Never one DAW doesn't display waveform. So it is very inveterate, I feel very uncomfortable without waveform. I think few people complain about this is because you have to tolerate too many things when you make music on iPad. I did too, but I think I just can't put up with it any longer. So I have to complain about it a little bit.
Rim wrote: It's not as much of an issue now, as most users have upgraded their iPads, so I might revisit adding this to a future version.
Rim
Thanks. I believe lots of people would appreciate it.

Logictree

Post by Logictree » Mon Aug 25, 2014 10:38 pm

Anthony Alves wrote:After the second track is recorded you can now set the track hieght that you would like to see by pinching the wave drawn on the track. One thing I don't like about MultiTrack Daw is that I can't set the waveform hieght and how after just a few tracks recorded with effects activated, the app has to optimize performance and this can take a while when many tracks are running. Garageband does this too but not Auria.
That is one of the reasons why making a DAW is a very hard job. Because people have different habits. I like the track height fixed. I almost never change the height when I use Logic Pro. This is one feature I really like about Bitwig. It only has two height settings, one for waveform/MIDI observation and one for overview. It is a very daring move, nonetheless many people love that. If you want to edit automation, the automation lane's height is adjustable. Very intuitive. Because it is the only circumstance I change track height in Logic Pro.

supanorton
Expert

Post by supanorton » Tue Aug 26, 2014 12:43 am

Rim wrote:It's not as much of an issue now, as most users have upgraded their iPads, so I might revisit adding this to a future version.

Rim
I'm still on an iPad 2 and have no desire to see the waveform.

firehosed
Expert

Post by firehosed » Wed Aug 27, 2014 11:39 pm

I am in agreement with supanorton

Sinapsya
Expert

Post by Sinapsya » Thu Aug 28, 2014 3:27 pm

You can put an option in Preferences: "Show waveform when recording".....no?

Logictree

Post by Logictree » Thu Aug 28, 2014 3:50 pm

supanorton wrote:
Rim wrote: I'm still on an iPad 2 and have no desire to see the waveform.
I didn't propose show the waveform, but an option that could give people like me a more comfortable working environment. I think it is a reasonable requirement. If iPad 2 still has difficulty for waveform, you just ignore the option.

supanorton
Expert

Post by supanorton » Thu Aug 28, 2014 11:29 pm

I was only giving my opinion on the subject. I know there are many Auria users on the AudioBus forum who are still on an iPad 2 or 3 and even users with iPad 4s and Airs who have to find ways to manage the CPU and memory limitations. If it can be done without sacrificing CPU or memory/RAM, I have no problem with it. What's most important to me is stability and performance. I'm sure Rim can accommodate everyone; he hasn't let us down yet!