Headphones?

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

miguelmarcos
Expert

Re: Headphones?

Post by miguelmarcos » Tue Sep 02, 2014 6:09 am

My two cents on the Focal Spirit Professionals: Awesome. I concur with Tarekith about using them as mixing headphones. Regarding the build: It is superb, solid and high quality (as it should be, at this price level).

The one thing I would warn people about is that they're kind of small so people with larger ears may well find the fit too tight. It would be a good idea to try them out for fit. I've had mine since June and they're staying right with me.

Washboy
Expert

Post by Washboy » Tue Sep 02, 2014 11:20 am

@miguelmarcos: By "larger ears" do you mean ears that stick out a lot from the head or ears that are simply larger (as an adult's ears are larger than those of a child)? Basically, are the ear-cups shallow in depth or small in internal diameter?

miguelmarcos
Expert

Post by miguelmarcos » Tue Sep 02, 2014 12:53 pm

Small in diameter. My ears are a tiny bit larger than the inside diameter. They feel fine but I do adjust the phones in a special way to accommodate them. In comparison to other males they look average size, confirmed with the missus.

I hadn't thought about the depth but I just looked; in this regard they're fine.

Markus Stone

Post by Markus Stone » Mon Jun 08, 2015 1:06 am

I do quite a bit of recording myself although I haven’t tried doing it in a professional manner. But what works for me is surely the Bose QC 25 noise cancelling headphones( https://baybloorradio.com/headphones/no ... comfort-25 )not just for recording but it is of greater use especially while travelling. Those long flights would have been extremely tiring if it weren’t for Bose. Hence if you really want a quality piece of equipment, I would suggest you bite the bullet and go for it because as noise cancelling headphones go, Bose is quite simply the boss.

supanorton
Expert

Post by supanorton » Mon Jun 08, 2015 5:21 am

Markus Stone wrote:I do quite a bit of recording myself although I haven’t tried doing it in a professional manner. But what works for me is surely the Bose QC 25 noise cancelling headphones( https://baybloorradio.com/headphones/no ... comfort-25 )not just for recording but it is of greater use especially while travelling. Those long flights would have been extremely tiring if it weren’t for Bose. Hence if you really want a quality piece of equipment, I would suggest you bite the bullet and go for it because as noise cancelling headphones go, Bose is quite simply the boss.

While I'm sure these cans sound great, they are not made for mixing. For mixing, I think a pair with a flat frequency response will be a better bet.

AndyE
Expert

Post by AndyE » Mon Jun 08, 2015 2:41 pm

Have you tried Sennheiser HD598. They're open backed and sound beautiful to my poor old ears. I wouldn't be without them. Use them for recording, some mixing late at night and general listening. 50 ohms but still fine for iPad. Also have Audio Technical ATH-M40x for vocals. They are a lot cheaper and closed back.
Each to their own though. I bought and sold a lot of others before settling on these two. I'm very happy with my choice.

washy21

Post by washy21 » Thu Jun 25, 2015 2:01 am

Hi All

I'm a total newbie to both recording (just bought Auria) and have purchased a set of Beyerdynamic DT100s. I think the are 400 Ohms and of course I have no idea what this means.

But they sound very dull to me and whilst I know they are designed for tracking I'm just not sure if they are suitable. Can anyone advise or comment on the suitability of these for what I am doing.

I am using them plugged into my usb mic: Rode NT USB.

Thanks

TedBPhx
Expert

Post by TedBPhx » Thu Jun 25, 2015 8:57 am

You need a headphone amp for 400 ohm phones. They run from cheap to expensive. Never used one myself so can't recommend. Gave up using my much loved AKG 240k DFs because they're 600 ohm.

Just picked up a set of the open back 50 ohm Sennheiser HD598s. Heavenly. For listening and mixing. I'll continue to use the closed back Sennheiser Amperions for tracking.

washy21

Post by washy21 » Thu Jun 25, 2015 1:48 pm

Thank you for this advice.

I took them back to the shop and exchanged them for the same headphones but these are 16 Ohms. They work like a charm now. You learn something new every day :lol: